5.0 out of 5 stars Great!
Crock Pot SCV400W Oval Slow Cooker White 3.5L
I've been using this slow cooker for awhile. Its great. I leave it on before I go out on a high setting and when I come back home it'll be all done. I never have to worry about food burn or spilling either! Plus you can take it out to clean! This pot when full I would say it makes a meal for 4-5.
Published on 29 Jan 2009 by Pantone 123

2.0 out of 5 stars Good design, great value
I gave this pot 5 stars and wrote a glowing review shortly after buying it. However, 9 months on, I have to downgrade it rather sharply. Read on:

I wrote in May 2009:
Published on 22 May 2009 by L J Slater

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Good design, great value, 22 May 2009

I wrote in May 2009:
This is a white stoneware crock inside a metal cooker with excellent insulation which means it cooks beautifully and reliably. It also has a transparent lid, which is very useful, as you should not take the lid off during cooking, but you need to be able to check from time to time what is going on.

The size is just right for roasting a small chicken eg 3lb, or a casserole for 3-6 people. If you want to do a smaller stew or soup, I suggest putting it in a ceramic bowl inside the crock, with a little hot water on the bottom of the crock to prevent over cooking or cracking the bowl.

Both the crock and the cooker have a nice clean design, and the crock looks good (quite like a Le Creuset) when lifted out and brought to the table, no need to transfer the food.

This cooker is one of the cheapest, I guess because it lacks a timer,(but I use a wall timer to get round that, since you do not need to be very precise). The insulation property of the stoneware makes it a 5 star product and is why I bought it.

Very good value for money.

Now in March 2010 - I would now want to knock off several stars because, although the cooker looks nice and on the whole does a good job, I agree with one critic that not having an on/off light is a problem, I too forgot to switch off. (I stopped using the wall timer, out of laziness...also the settings are marked in pale grey, so unless the crock is in full sunlight, they are difficult to read which is annoying). I also have found the 'low' setting is just too hot and brings some foods to the boil, seemingly depending on the ambient temperature, which is not good. Clearly more settings are needed with a better temperature guide and a better thermostat. But I also am worried because somehow, probably through condensation, a little water got into the base and the bolts holding the base plate immediately rusted - that seems to me to quite a safety issue. A pity, but I am going to junk it for that reason alone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Crock Pot SCV400W Oval Slow Cooker White 3.5L, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Crock-Pot Slow Cooker, 3.5 Litre, White (Kitchen & Home)
I liked the fact that this model was all white and had a 'keep warm' setting. When it arrived I was disappointed that the handles and tin exterior were very cheap looking and also when I removed the white ceramic pot the metal container looked as if it had been left on a dusty/wet shelf for ages, it was badly marked but this of course doesn't show when in use. The real downside when I came to use it is that there is no on/off light, I forgot to switch if off on one occasion. I have also found the lowest setting brings the contents to bubbling point within 3 hours. This means I cannot put the meal on in the morning for evening use - it is totally overcooked. I wish I had paid a little more and bought a different make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 29 Jan 2009
Crock Pot SCV400W Oval Slow Cooker White 3.5L

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 1 Nov 2009
SandyR (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crock-Pot Slow Cooker, 3.5 Litre, White (Kitchen & Home)
This is a great Crock Pot for the price. I did manage to burn out the inside of the ceramic bowl by accidentally leaving it on with too little food left in it--the non-stick coating just burned up and it became porous, but this was my own fault. It would be nice if there were some kind of timer or auto-shut off on the higher temperatures to avoid this. I liked the thing so much I just bought another one, base and all. It isn't a fancy piece of cookery, but it's great for what it is. It's the perfect size for a main meal for 4-6 people, and you can store leftovers right in the bowl in the fridge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Future, 6 April 2009
This review is from: Crock-Pot Slow Cooker, 3.5 Litre, White (Kitchen & Home)
I had a slow cooker some years ago but did not replace it when it died. I bought this one because the weather was cold and I wanted delicious stews. It has not disappointed. Well designed, good construction and great results. Best of all it was a great price. An all round winner and saving energy to boot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crock/ or not, 26 Jun 2009
This review is from: Crock-Pot Slow Cooker, 3.5 Litre, White (Kitchen & Home)
Having never used a slow cook I wasn't quite sure what to expect and so went for an inexpensive model that way if things didn't work out.. I wouldn't really have lost much.
The food in the slow cooker really does come out a treat..it's a useful bit of kit that has helped me become organised in my kitchen. What I also like about it is that it frees up the oven so that I can continue with my baking while my meat dishes slowly simmers.
The lid on this model seems a little loose.. and some steam does escape but I just place a tea towel on top.
If your new to slow cooking and want to try it out.. I would recommend giving this one a go.

Decided to try another model to compare to this one... as the steam releasing was causing the food to dry out.
Best Buy Tesco's £10 very... Fantastic!!!! Now I've tried the difference I wouldn't buy Crock Pot again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Use, 7 Nov 2009
K. Heale "Maslenica" (Salford, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crock-Pot Slow Cooker, 3.5 Litre, White (Kitchen & Home)
Not a lot to say about a slow cooker really. It is large enough to cook a medium size chicken, but not too big to be cumbersome. It cooks casseroles, soups, and braising steak particularly well. It's nicely designed, and very well built. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars super crockpot, 28 Sep 2009
This review is from: Crock-Pot Slow Cooker, 3.5 Litre, White (Kitchen & Home)
I was impressed with my purchase if it had an on -off light & a timer I would have given the crockpot 5 stars, It's a good looker, decent size & surprisingly easy to clean we have enjoyed some really good meals since I bought it and look forward to many more.I'm enjoying experimenting with different cuts of meat.I like the fact I can save money buying cheaper cuts & it is economical to run & of course a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Mar 2009
Karen Dunn "Karen" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crock-Pot Slow Cooker, 3.5 Litre, White (Kitchen & Home)
Bought a Crock-Pot just over a month ago and have had loads of use out of it. Its brilliant and I wish I'd bought one years ago. I work long hours and its great going home to a lovely smell and the dinner being ready.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good buy, 28 Feb 2009
R. S. Fairwood "Bargee" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crock-Pot Slow Cooker, 3.5 Litre, White (Kitchen & Home)
Having bought the slow cooker, primarily for use on our narrowboat to cook an evening's meal while we chug sedately along the canals, we have experimented with it at home with great success. We're now looking forward to using it in earnest.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›