5.0 out of 5 stars High Performance at Exceptionally Low Price!
Published on 12 Nov 2009 by R. J. Teare

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price
This headset is ok for the money but not as good as my old ones which came with Dragon Dictate.
Published 3 months ago by joe bacon

5.0 out of 5 stars High Performance at Exceptionally Low Price!, 12 Nov 2009
R. J. Teare "jeremyjinks" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset (Accessory)
I bought this headset for use with my Dragon NaturallySpeaking Voice Recognition Software, after the headband of the original headset was accidentally broken, because it had been given the highest grade certification by Nuance. I took care to ensure that both the microphone was properly positioned in relation to my mouth and that I followed the Dragon procedure to adjust the volume. I am delighted to say that my confidence was fully justified and the headset performs excellently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plantronics Audio 310 Monaural PC Headset, 23 Oct 2009
Dharmendar Rajagopal (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset (Accessory)
I have been using this headset connected to my laptop for voice chats over IP phones. I can tell you that this product is amazing; light in weight and crystal clear sound.

Its surely a product that can claim "value for money" in the true sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Cheerful, 7 May 2009
This review is from: Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset (Accessory)
I've been using this headset for about 2 years now, and I can only give it a very good recommendation. It replaced a much more expensive headset that broke after about 4 months. I use this one almost daily, for about 3 or 4 hours at a time, it's very comfortable, and the sound quality is high with no static. It's also taken the abuse of having my desk chair run over the headset and the cable numerous times without any problem.

Just generally a very reliable and quality piece of kit, so buy with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb recognition for dragon NaturallySpeaking 11, 23 Oct 2010
J. Deacons "deaco" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset (Accessory)
I use this headset with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11. Even though I have a Scottish accent, this headset is superb in conjunction with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 at picking up the words that I speak with almost 100% accuracy. I am writing this review with the headset and Dragon 11 and up until now there is not even one mistake. Impressive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect price/cost performance, construction and speech recognition results!, 27 Jan 2011
This review is from: Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset (Accessory)
PLEASE NOTE: This review is mainly oriented to speech recognition software users, in case you need some in-depth details on this specific use for this headset.

I have been using speech recognition professionally since it was invented, and in time I have been using all sorts of headsets for this purpose: mono, stereo, heavy, light, over-the-head, over-the-ear, over-whatever-part-of-your-body-near-your-mouth, etc....

Unfortunately, the ONLY common characteristic I could find so far in all these models is... fragility!

In the last 10 years I have been buying a new one, on average, every 1-2 years _at maximum_. This is due to the fact that, even if the microphones in most consumer headsets are virtually indestructible, _all the other components_ are usually _very_ prone to break at the minimum stress, bend, pull, bump, etc...

This happens especially with _plugs_ (often in soft and very delicate rubber that bends too easily) and _cables_ (which have become hair-thin, and often cannot even be joined together or re-soldered easily, since they are usually covered with a non-conductive coating that must be _scorched_ thoroughly, in order to make electric contact...)

Therefore, when I set out to buy a new headset, this time I wanted the strongest and most reliable headset I could find at this price range (BTW, usually speech recognition does not require extremely costly microphones, since human voice frequencies are very limited, and the real aspects that matter are sensitivity and _noise reduction_).

I chose this specific model from Plantronics (a brand I have been using a lot in the past, due to their unbeatable price/performance ratio, IMHO), since it looked well built and sturdy enough, it had a very good reputation for my speech-recognition software (NaturallySpeaking), and a very attractive price, too.

Well, having used this headset for a couple of weeks, I was satisfied beyond any expectation by this purchase: not only the microphone works with _extremely_ high precision with NaturallySpeaking 8, but it turned out to be one of the most robust, comfortable and well-designed ones I ever bought!

PROS:
-The headband is sturdy (plastic could be better, tough), but also flexible enough to adjust to average head sizes; it can be extended on the earphone side, but it might be a little uncomfortable if you have a very large head, since it is not very wide.
-The microphone arm is absolutely wonderful, since it is _the_ most massive one I have ever seen! It is large almost as much as the headband, and it rotates smoothly but _very_ firmly around the headphone (no need to readjust it every time, since it keeps the position even if handled roughly, which is very important for speech recognition, since the slightest position change can impact the performance a lot.)

-The end part of the microphone arm (where the microphone sits) is made in a very strong, thick but flexible material covered with rubber, which can be freely bent to provide maximum proximity with the mouth; it can be even extended, too, in order to provide some extra flexibility. Absolute perfection!

-The noise-cancelling microphone works like a charm and, if properly calibrated with the software/sound card and _positioned correctly very near to the corner of your mouth_, it can produce astoundingly good results! I was able to dictate text with my TV switched on at 40 cm from my face _without a single error_!

-The single-ear headphone is very comfortable and wide, with basic quality for generic uses (do not expect low basses: headsets of this kind are better suited for speech recognition, voice, chat, etc.)

-There are no microphone/volume controls, which usually just add noise and signal loss, both very bad for speech recognition.

CONS:
-As other people noted, the microphone produces a rather low output signal level; therefore, depending on your specific sound card and software settings, it might produce insufficient results, at first.

I had to increase a lot the input gain of my sound card, in order to obtain an appropriate sound level for speech recognition; so, you might have to tweak the mic audio input settings of your sound card and software, too, to obtain good results. (Many sound card drivers allow to control gain or provide an automatic gain control to boost the signal, so you might want to check if your specific one allows this, before buying this microphone.)

-Due to the same low output level of the microphone, you need to position the microphone _very_ close to the corner of your mouth in order to pick up your voice properly, but once you find the proper position, you will probably never change it again.

-Unfortunately this microphone, too, IMHO has very delicate jack connectors and cables; so, to avoid the problems I mentioned above, I decided to replace directly the microphone soft rubber jack with a professional metal one, that should not break for a long time, hopefully... ;-)

All in all, I strongly recommend this headset to anyone looking for a sturdy, comfortable and reliable headset with great speech recognition performance, provided you have the patience to position it correctly and a sound card that allows you to set mic input levels/gain properly...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, especially for the price, 11 Nov 2013
CAGEN (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset (Accessory)
Purchased this for my adolescent son to use with his 'speech recognition' software. I was worried about this purchase, as my sister (a PhD in Psychology & who uses Dragon Naturally Speaking herself) had recommended ones much more expensive, and said that less expensive models had been the bane of getting her software to run properly. I needn't have worried. Worked beautifully. He broke it about a year later, but that's OK, becuase it only cost me 10, and he was bound to do that regardless of what I paid! He still used it occassionally for another year, but has found the microphone on the computer is not good enough, so I am gladly getting another. Can't recommend highly enough as value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality at a good price, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset (Accessory)
My previous headset didn't last anything like as long as I had hoped. I have now been using this one for a few months and find it to be robust, we'll made and picks up my voice extremely well. In common with many I use it for Dragon Naturally Speaking. It is comfortable to wear for long stretches and feels like it will last. I relied upon previous reviews to inform my choice and felt it somewhat incumbent on me to reciprocate by adding to the deserved praise of both the product and the speed with which it was delivered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headset, 6 Aug 2009
This review is from: Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset (Accessory)
I use this at home for Skype calls and listenting to things on the computer when there are others in the room, and also buy them for work for web conferencing. They are comfortable to wear and sound quality is good. All for a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy and Clear, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset (Accessory)
I've not had any issues with these and they do pick up more voice than expected, especially in noisy environments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a fantastic price!, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset (Accessory)
Fantastic, light as a feather even if used all day. Quality of sound is very good. Works well with dictation softwares, conference calls or just chatting with family/friends. Would recommend it!

Plantronics 37852-11 Audio 310 Mono PC Headset