Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 August 2006
After first hearing Rise Against's 'Paper Wings' on a ps2 game, I was hooked and went out and bought their first 3 albums. The Sufferer and the Witness eclipses them all for me and McIlrath's explosive yet powerfully emotional voice coupled with the crunching guitar riffs results in easily the best band of the current punk genre. Its hard to find any filler songs on such a well-refined album, with my favourite tracks being Ready To Fall, Prayer of the Refugee and Behind Closed Doors. Whilst providing a unique, louder, rockier edge to the punk genre, RA are an undiscovered gem in the commercial music world
on 4 March 2007
This album has got it all : meaningful lyrics, catchy music and great production. It grabs you from the first note and you'll find yourself playing it over and over again with the same joy. A gem.
on 16 January 2007
I was admittedly a little disappointed with Siren Song of the Counter Culture, after the unmistakable quality of Revolutions Per Minute, but this album represents a return to all that (at least for me personally) is best about Rise Against.

McIlrath's moody, more melodic vocals of Siren Song are replaced once more by the angsty, harsher, hardcore-inspired tones present in their early work, while the guitar work has progressed toward more a technical, complex style.

The quality of the production doesn't let the band down either, with all the songs sounding crisp, and the vocals are easily understood. Another great aspect of the album is its continuity, with each song running seamlessly into the next.

Every song on the album is an anthem in its own right, but songs such as Prayer of the Refugee, Behind Closed Doors and Survive really stand out from the rest.

In all, an excellent buy for new and old fans alike!
on 30 June 2010
The sufferer and the witness is a good album and I would reccomend it to anyone who likes Punk/metal. Their songs are catchy and they are well thought out. Rise against play their songs with all the emotion that insired them to write this album and songs, and its the sought of music that you find yourself singing all day. I give The Sufferer and the Witness five stars!
on 21 September 2006
In recent years I had become disillusioned with punk, if anything I had become bored. Pennywise's last few releases had become the same songs rehashed in different forms, the Offspring had become lazy in terms of their live shows as well as their offerings and NOFX keep writing songs with just one monotonous beat.

However, Rise Against offer something fresh, contemporary, fast and most importantly a set of well crafted punk rock songs that will play on full rotation in your head for a long time. However, don't think this sits in the likes of Green Day and Blink 182, this is punk 'do it yourself' style, the dark side of punk if you will. If you are thinking of getting into hardcore punk then this album is ideal for dipping your toes in.
on 17 November 2007
This is one of those rare albums that grab you by the goolies on the first listen and then justs get better and better the more you listen.
This is my first ever review as was this the first Rise Against album I'd heard and I'm hooked, so much so that I rushed to my computer and downloaded everything else they'd done.
This album though in my opinion is the best so far, its fast,loud,hard and obnoxious yet at the same time melodic and lyrical.
If asked what the best track is I'd be hard pushed to give you an answer as there all strong in their own right, if you twisted my arm behind my back I'd say ALL of them.
This is one hell of a good album and I eagerly await their next offering
on 2 March 2016
Purchased as a Christtmas present for my son who informs me that it meets all of his expectations and is what he wanted. Not really my type of music, I believe the genre is what is known as Melodic Hardcore, doesn't seem too melodic to me. However, it appeals to a seventeen year old who has quite wide taste in music.
From what I understand the band are very good at what they do. That is about all I can say really.
THe cd was delivered promptly after ordering and came in secure packaging I have been advised that the cd should be given five stars and certainly from my point of view the prompt delivery and secure packaging merits five stars.
on 29 December 2009
Being a fan of rise against since 2 months, I have bought almost all their albums. This is the last one I added to my collection. The CD is great, but it's not as rough as the first three cds. It's heavier than siren song in terms of music, but the singing is more clean and clear, it still is very energetic and unique in a certain way, but in a different, more polished way than their earlier albums. Don't worry, they haven't turned pop-punk or something, it's still strong music with a good message, I'm very happy with this purchase, but if I'd have to choose, I like the first 2 albums better.
on 11 December 2007
The first album I've bought from amazon and what an amazing album it is (can I also say that the delivery was very efficient, arriving a day prematurely), Tim Mcilrath's vocals are as always brilliant, his vocal range is astonishing. The drums are furious as are the guitars. Basically if you're into melodic vocals over upbeat instrumentals then Rise Against are your band.
on 29 August 2009
As the title says, this album is amazing. There are some amazing tracks on here: Ready To Fall, Prayer of the Refugee (my favourite RA song), Drones and The Good Left Undone. Plus, the bonus track, Built To Last, is a nice little extra. This is by far the best Rise Against album. From start to finish you'll think the same thing: "Awesome."