5.0 out of 5 stars The mighty slayer return!!
Published on 12 Dec 2006 by John Mcconnel

2.0 out of 5 stars Decidedly average
Published on 16 April 2010 by Dominic Goulding

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Decidedly average, 16 April 2010
This review is from: Christ Illusion (Audio CD)
I am a Slayer fan. Not one of these meatheads you see who scream "SLAAAAAAAAAAAAYER" at every metal gig you go to... even when Slayer aren't there... but I'm still a fan. Fan, not worshipper, I admit they have done poor albums; and here's one of em. When I heard the song "Jihad" I was really fired up for this album, I thought I was in for a bonafide thrash fest... I was very mistaken.

So, how does it sound? There's not really a problem with the production or anything, it's more or less standard Slayer. But the quality of the songs is just... eugh. Jihad is by miles the best song in my humble opinion... nothing else here even touches it. Eyes of the Insane is the song Slayer chose for a single... it's a rubbish song and they made a rubbish video for it. I just expect better from Slayer, I really do. This album is a big letdown, even with "Supremist" and the fact that "OMGZZZZZZZ IT'Z GOT A BLASTBEATZ IN ITZ!!!" Nobody cares. Load of tosh.

Vocals are standard mid-range shouty Tom Araya... no problems there really... just a bit boring.

I'd recommend this to those Slayer Meatheads because they will love it anyway. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else... unless you're after buying a really average album for some reason.

Dom x

3.0 out of 5 stars Business As Usual, 22 Sep 2006
This review is from: Christ Illusion (Audio CD)
I love Slayer as much as the next (insane headbanging) man, but now the dust has settled, I can't help feeling that this is the album Slayer thought their die-hard fans MIGHT WANT.

To me, 'Christ Illusion' just doesn't have the same variety or CHARACTER that previous Slayer albums have had.

Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven, Seasons In The Abyss, Divine Intervention & God Hates Us All were the albums that I think SLAYER wanted to make.

Diabolus In Musica, Undisputed Attitude & Christ Illusion, to me, seem to be the albums that Slayer thought we wanted to hear.

SLAYER will get their sh't together. Their next album will be a blinder, mark my words.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Illusionists, 12 Aug 2010
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christ Illusion (Audio CD)
I have to say I was not enamoured with either Diabolus... or God Hates..., their previous 2 releases, but always kept the faith. When I heard that Slayer were getting back to their roots I was pretty excited and actually believed that another great album to place next to Seasons.. or Reign... had arrived. The artwork was perfect. The track listing sounded top notch; not the 12+ that ruined God Hates..., a nice manageable 10 with excellent, old-skool sounding titles like 'Flesh Storm' and 'Eyes of the Insane'. Even the overall title sounded like a classic in the making. When I played it, all of my expectations were ratified. 'Flesh Storm' is a huge, classic opening track, as good as any they've done. Perfect. Lovely. Then I heard the rest.

'Catalyst' is pretty forgettable and this is where it becomes obvious that they are no longer bothering with powerful tracks that twist and turn but just being fast. 'Skeleton Christ' is ok but doesn't really go anywhere. 'Eyes of the Insane' again isn't bad but just hasn't got anything that interesting to give it any merit. 'Jihad' is a little different but where it should have been another 'Mandatory Suicide' it instead becomes flaccid and a bit useless. 'Consfearacy' is as 'Catalyst' and just rattles along at high speed without a hook. 'Catatonic' I quite like. It is a slow plodder but has teeth and is quite catchy after a few spins. The same can be said for 'Black Serenade' which is one of the better tracks after the awesome 'Flesh Storm'. 'Cult' is, what I had not realised when this album first appeared, how Slayer sound in the new millenium - fast, raw and devoid of any real composition. 'Supremist' ends in not quite spectacular fashion.

I have been a fan of Slayer since South of Heaven and consider all albums up to and including Divine Intervention either classic or very close. I was hoping to add this on. Alas, even after many listens it has never really struck a chord with me. Even Diabolus in Musica was slightly better. Saying that, I would buy it for 'Flesh Storm' alone. And the artwork is still perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars The mighty slayer return!!, 12 Dec 2006
John Mcconnel "oldgothrocker" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christ Illusion (Audio CD)
I have to honest, when I first heard this album I wasn't too keen, but after a few spins it began to blow me away!! As any long term slayer fan will tell you, this music is def not for the light hearted. Slayer, are the one and only band from the 80's big four who have never altered their sound or experimented too far with their music, they know what the fans want and deliver the goods every time, whilst unearthing a few surprises . The return of Lombardo is an added bonus for all slayer fans, his missed contriution to slayer is pretty evident on this album (no disrespect to Bostaph) but for me lombardo is the better drummer (especially live). Packed with ferocious guitar and drumming and sprinkling of controversial lyrical subject matter and art work ( well it wouldn't be same without it) slayer have delivered yet another brutal monster of an album, long may they reign!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Christ Illusion (Audio CD)
Five years after 2001’s “God Hates Us All”, Slayer were finally back with a new album. What first struck me when flipping through the booklet was that a whopping seven out of ten songs on the album were solely written by Kerry King, whereas the other three were co-written by Jeff Hanneman and Tom Araya. This inevitably raised the question: had Hanneman hit a writer’s block? After all, it is the Hanneman-penned numbers that form the basis of a Slayer live show. Should we feel worried, then?

However, the album kicks off promisingly enough with “Flesh Storm”, beginning with an eerie fade-in intro that is reminiscent of “South Of Heaven” and “Raining Blood”, before hitting you like a ton of bricks. The haunting “Eyes Of The Insane” is another highlight on the album, describing the nightmares of a homecoming soldier. After the alleged nu metal influences of their previous releases, this feels like a return to old school Slayer. After all, Dave Lombardo was again back behind the drum kit after a lengthy absence. Musically, the material falls somewhere between “Reign In Blood” and “God Hates Us All” (feel free to disagree if you like to).

As the grotesque front cover suggests, several songs on the album have a strong anti-Christian theme: “Skeleton Christ” features the lines “you’ll never touch God’s hand, you’ll never taste God’s breath, because you’ll never see the second coming / I laugh at the abortion known as Christianity / I’ve seen the ways of God, I’ll take the devil any day / hail Satan”. “Cult” takes it even further, claiming that “there is no f@#ing Jesus Christ, there never was a sacrifice, no man upon the crucifix” and that “religion is hate, religion is fear, religion is war / religion is rape, religion’s obscene, religion’s a w*#*e”. Some mighty words indeed, but you can’t help but feel that we’ve all heard it before on “God Hates Us All”, haven’t we? I mean, by now we have become more than aware that Kerry King hates religion, and Christianity in particular. And especially after a five-year gap between albums, you really would have preferred some new themes rather than more of the same.

Of course, Slayer still swept the floor with most of their competitors in the heavy metal scene, and remained the kings of extreme thrash metal (no pun intended). However, when compared with the rest of their back catalogue, it has to be said that they have made better records than this one. The most fanatical followers will probably be over the moon, but those with only “Reign In Blood” in their record collection probably won’t feel the need to part with their money.

5.0 out of 5 stars SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER, 14 Jun 2008
This review is from: Christ Illusion (Audio CD)
I can't believe any Slayer fan could be dissapointed with this album it's pure thrash, it's pure slayer, What's not to like? I do admit I'm 17 i have only been a fan of Slayer for a couple of years i have all their album except Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits & Decade Of Aggresion, this has to their best. Every song is a classic especially Black Serenad that song just Has thrash written all over it. I have always considerd God Hates Us All one of my favourite albums but this beats it sure God Hates Us All was mindblowing but that did have a couple of filler tracks, but this album every track is killer. If you are a Slayer buy this without Hesitation, if you are a metal and dont own anything by Slayer are you Insane?. The title says it all SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER SLAAAAAAAAAAAAYER

5.0 out of 5 stars Obey My Choice...666, 25 Nov 2006
This review is from: Christ Illusion (Audio CD)
Amazing album from Slayer, in my mind this is the best since Seasons.

you can still definatly hear the remains of the God Hates Us All sound from 2001's last studio release (which i think is a good thing, i mean they couldnt do another Reign or South could they?)

The album is very heavy - at the expence to too many all out 200mph Reign in Blood type songs.

Flesh Storm: 9/10 strong opener, fast, kerry likes it

Catalyst: 7/10 nice solos

Skeleton Christ: 10/10 amazing song, slayer at their best

Eyes of the Insane: 10/10 Araya should write more often, anti-war song

Jihad: 10/10 favourite track, fastest track, more great Araya lyrics

Consfearacy: 8/10 very heavy

Catatonic: 8.5/10 great work from the returning Dave Lombardo

Black Serenade: 9/10 old school and accessable

Cult: 9/10 fast one, great intro (not as good as South/Seasons era tho)

Supremist: 7/10 decent close but struggels after the greatness of Cult

not a bad song on the whole album, and several new classics

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Reigning!, 23 Aug 2006
DD (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Christ Illusion (Audio CD)
Slayer are the greatest death/thrash metal band of all time! Unlike others, they have stayed true to themselves and their fans and consistently turned out slabs of pure heaviness. You know what you are getting when you buy any Slayer cd made after 1986's superlative Reign In Blood? You want ballads and acoustic guitars go somewhere else!

Christ Illusion carries on the tradition of Satan's House Band. The subject matter revolves around the evils of organised religion, terrorism and the States reaction to this. The production is spot on, the riffing is dynamite and the solos breathtaking. Five stars as far as I am concerned! And once again the cover art is given a front piece to avoid scaring the public!

5.0 out of 5 stars christ had an illusion when this album was designed, 1 Dec 2006
Mr. Lee A. Johnson (Aylesbury, Buchinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christ Illusion (Audio CD)
there are several words to describe this, right i can only think of one.....brilliant, a second return to their best i suspect, following God Hates Us All, any die hard Slayer fans will recognise that this is really the best album since Reign...i will admit i have been a real fan of Slayer since around 1985/86 when the entered what was considered the big 4, consisting of Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and obviously Slayer, they were hammering home true thrash metal at the time. Here we are several years later and who remains? i have reviewed previously as a die hard Metallica fan but that has been and gone, I have had years of enjoying Megadeth and Anthrax, but no favourite, now i have entered my 30's and its ONLY Slayer that remain. Proper thrash. They are still Reigning in my eyes. This album hits home hard with some suspect subjects, politics and religion to boot, Tom Araya once said that this is not the kind of music to sing about flowers to, he was right, the music walks along hand in hand with the topics they sing about. You will love it, if you love Thrash that is.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Ouch!, 3 Sep 2006
This review is from: Christ Illusion (Audio CD)
"Reign In Blood" was a musical eqivalent of a kick in the groin. Twenty years on I would have to say that Slayer have musically progressed nowhere since then - but what another essential kick in the knackers this is!

With Dave Lombardo back on the drum kit they sound like a bunch of kids as they race through the tracks at a frantic pace - the energy is quite amazing. If your religious then stay away from this as lyrically it couldn't be more agnostic if it tried and it's heavier than Police Chief Wiggam carrying a bag full of bricks!

The guitars are heavy, fast and deadly while Tom's vocals sound like they did on that great album from two decades ago. Once in a while everyone need's to hear something like this - most bands slow down as they get older but these guys seem to have done the reverse to that trend.

"Flesh Storm" kicks everything off and whirls through "Skeleton Christ" (lyrics not for the feint hearted!) and ends 38 minutes later with "Supremist". Even the album cover has to be "covered up" while in the shops over here in the UK as not to cause offence.

Don't even think about it, buy it now!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Christ Illusion
Christ Illusion by Slayer (Audio CD - 2006)