5.0 out of 5 stars excellent
Published on 9 Mar. 2007 by Tim.T

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not that good.
Published on 18 Feb. 2008 by Devonian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 9 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Pure One DAB/FM Portable Radio - White (Electronics)
I received my Pure One DAB radio this morning and in a matter of minutes I was tuning it to my favourite stations and setting pre-sets. I'm pretty good with gadgets anyway but this model is easy to operate even if you're a technophobe. The reception is fabulous, I won't be going back to MW again if I can help it! So far it's been as good as listening to radio on broadband or on digital tv.

If you're new to DAB broadcasting, first go to this site and type in your post code to make sure you are covered by DAB transmission: [...] It will also tell you what stations will be (albeit an approximation) available in your area.

Overall I give this Pure One DAB radio 10/10. If you're looking for your first inexpensive and good quality DAB radio, buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect radio but battery pack has gone AWOL, 5 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Pure One DAB/FM Portable Radio - White (Electronics)
This is my first DAB radio. Had been looking at the options for a while but couldn't resist this from a top manufacturer at under £50.

It does what you would expect. The sound quality is perfect and the volume is more than adequate for my use. It is really easy to use, even in the dark when you can't see the buttons (am using it as a bedside radio as well as in kitchen, garden, study, camping, picnics, everywhere!). I think the controls are really intuitive, you turn it on and it tunes and works perfectly.

I really like the design - I've got the white one. It is light and easily portable and the blue glow from the backlit screen is lovely. It has a USB port for upgrades (there have been two, and you can sign up for email notification of these).

I went for this budget choice to see if I liked DAB - I do, I love it, but have one problem - the battery pak. I use my radio "out and about" a lot and it is eating 6 x C batteries regularly. When I bought it in July I was promised chargepak would be available late in July, then August and now its September and its still not out. And Pure have gone suspiciously quiet.... Cost of the radio plus the battery pack brings it up to £80; if I'd known how much trouble it would be to get the batterypak I would have just bought an oasis for £90 with the chargepak in and saved myself the hassle and expense of constantly buying batteries.

My verdict... Buy it, but not til they've sorted the battery pak (or if you only intend to use it near a plugpoint)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says., 13 Oct. 2006
S. Broadbent "cyberspaceexpress" (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pure One DAB/FM Portable Radio - White (Electronics)
This is my second PURE DAB Radio (I also have an Evoke 3) and wanted this for a bathroom/kitchen portable.

Reception is perfect in my area and sound is cd quality.

It is easy to use with a generous specification and also extremely light and portable. I agree with another reviewer with regard to Pure radios and their battery power consumption. On the Evoke 3 it is chronic and I haven't even tried this new one on batteries. Instead in both cases I bought the "ChargePak" which has a decent shelf life and recharges when the set is plugged in to the mains. Unlike the other reviewer the "ChargePak" is not impossible to get (I got 2 from different suplliers) Provided you do not intend to use disposable batteries then buy this radio, (and the Evoke 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars This really is The ONE. Don't Dally, get DABbling..., 5 July 2006
Ant (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pure One DAB/FM Portable Radio - White (Electronics)
I have resisted the temptation to buy DAB since I live in an area where it is very difficult to receive FM and television signals, side of a hill and everything. Also put off by the generally over £100 price tags of decent makes - eg PURE which always gets excellent reviews. When I saw the One advertised I went for it - and I am NOT DISAPPOINTED. It picks up a vast number of stations, all the main BBC ones no trouble, in fact I think only three or four stations in this area can't be received. And the FM reception is vastly superior to any other radios in the house.

This is an attractive radio - I have the white one, I think the black one looks a bit cheaply plastic, whereas the white is cool - though my daughter preferred the pink one. Huge extending aerial seems the reason for the good station pickup. Good sound, with reasonable bass. Although there's only one speaker it picks up stereo and has a stereo headphone jack to plug in your hi-fi if you need it. 20 presets, which you access by pushing the preset button and turning the big dial to choose your favourite - pushing the dial acts like an enter key. You get to choose options for what appears on the display, you can update its software through a USB port (obviously not needed to do this yet) and its even got sleep and wake-up timers on it. A great boys toy...

As I have pointed out, I have never had a DAB radio so can't do a comparison, but the sound and looks are great, its intuitive to use, and the price is a killer for a PURE radio. Excellent. Quibbles? None really, except that if you want to be able to make it portable its looks like the best bet is to buy a chargePAK, which recharges when you plug the radio in the mains and then powers it when you unplug, and they seem expensive to me at thirty quid.

In short - if you've dallied and delayed in dabbling with DAB - this is The ONE - groan...

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good portable radio, 13 Dec. 2006
David Savage (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure One DAB/FM Portable Radio - White (Electronics)
This is an excellent portable DAB radio. It is very easy to set up the preset stations and the screen is large and clear and easy to read, even for the 60+. The battery pack is expensive, but worth the extra as it remains in the radio and is trickle charged whenever the radio is plugged into the mains supply. So much easier than swapping rechargeable cells in and out of a separate charger. DAB radios are never compact, but this is one of the smallest. It is also very sensitive and picks up a good signal without the aeial extended, whereas other DAB radios in the house need the aerial at full extension to work properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 4 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Pure One DAB/FM Portable Radio - White (Electronics)
Plug in and go with a crisp, clear sound even my technological challenged relative had it up and going within five minutes! The scrolling information text bar while you are listening is a nice touch. Quickly and easily autotunes. Haven't tried it with the battery yet but we are planning to get one. I would definitely recommend it. Fabulous for spoken word or any music station.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sound, Excellent price, 7 Mar. 2007
G. Ireland (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure One DAB/FM Portable Radio - White (Electronics)
I cannot believe the quality of this radio for the price i paid.

I took the radio out of the box and it was ready to go within seconds.

If you are looking for a DAB radio, "look NO further than this one!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure one - remarkable little classic, 10 Nov. 2007
canson (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure One DAB/FM Portable Radio - White (Electronics)
Expected a fairly ordinary mono radio despite all the ecstatic reviews everywhere. I was wrong, this is superbly designed - electronically, build quality and usability. Sound quality is a revelation and really quite exceptional at this price. With it's excellent LCD display the ONE is amazingly inexpensive, but not at all cheap. Looks really stylish in white in the kitchen and bathroom. The user interface is so well designed too and is a joy to use - in fact I was surprised that my technophobe mother could operate it without instructions. A super alternative if - like me - you don't like the old fashioned looking Pure Evoke products. Don't forget that although the radio is mono, the headphone output is stereo so you can feed it into a hi-fi system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DAB radio at an excellent price, 31 Dec. 2007
EllyBlue (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pure One DAB/FM Portable Radio - White (Electronics)
I've just purchased one of these for the kitchen and am really pleased with it. First impressions are good - the radio feels sturdy and the retro white plastic look quite stylish - or at least I think it is! The instruction manual is clear enough, although to be honest, after a cursory glance, I just plugged the thing in to the mains. After a quick question from it (on the screen) about power saving, the One happily searched for all available DAB channels and came up with 30, which according to the DAB website is what I would expect to receive where I live. I decided to push the telescopic aerial down to see if this made any difference either to the signal strength or quality,(easy to check using the info-display menu and there's also a signal strength indicator on the main screen) and it didn't which means that I don't need that big metal stick intruding on my worktop!
The sound quality from the radio is good and it goes quite loud - it isn't stereo, although it can receive in stereo, and I have tried hooking it up to my speakers which I use with my MP3, and the sound quality is then amazing. You haven't got options on the radio to change things like bass, treble etc, so if those are the kind of knobs you like to twiddle, you'll need to look elsewhere. However, for me, volume alone is sufficient, and there is an indicator on the main screen of how far up the volume scale you are.
It's easy to navigate through the channels - just press the little button marked 'stations' then turn the silver knob to scroll through what's on offer. Press the knob in when you've found the station you want. You can preset favourite stations if you want, although to be honest, I haven't bothered because it's easy peasy just to scroll through everything on offer.
Other useful features include a kitchen timer (works when the radio is on) and a sleep timer which are fairly easy to set. The screen will also display a digital clock when the radio is switched off but still connected to a power supply. You can't set this - it's set by the most recent DAB channel you've been listening to, but I haven't had any issues with its accuracy so far.
I only plan to use this radio with the mains which is probably a good thing as I've heard these things eat batteries, and the power pack you can buy to go with it is quite pricey.
This is a solid DAB radio, with good sound, from a reputable manufacturer at a very good price, and as such, I would recommend this item for use in a kitchen or bedroom.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not that good., 18 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Pure One DAB/FM Portable Radio - White (Electronics)
This is a good radio and nice design but the sound quality is disappointing. Let me enlarge, before I purchased this radio I already owned a Pure Evoke - 1XT which is absolutely superb, of course it's twice the cost of the Pure ONE, so I suppose you shouldn't compare the two. I wanted a second radio to use in the house and I now wish I had paid the extra for another Evoke. Of course what you haven't got you've never miss, and the Pure ONE is good valve for the money, but if you can afford it I would definitely pay the extra and go for the Evoke - 1XT.
One last point according to the internet I 'm not living in an area which can receive dab, so I was put off buying a dab radio until I tested out the reception on a dab radio loaned by a friend. To my surprise I found the reception to be perfect with a full range of stations. I believe if you have good VHF reception you should have no problem.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›