5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W70, 5 Aug 2006
M. La-Band "M. La-Band" (Sawbridgeworth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W70 Digital Camera - Silver (7.2 MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD (Electronics)
I bought my Dad the excellent new Canon Powershot S3 for his birthday earlier in July 2006 and decided that I really wanted a new camera too. I had intended to buy the same camera, but as I wanted to be able to use it in places like Mexico City and other large cities I decided it would be too big and overly-attractive to thieves as it can't fit in a pocket!

I had a look on the internet for the best compact digital cameras with optical zoom lenses and this one - the DSC-W70 was coming out top almost every time. I looked into the DSC-W100 too, but every review I read said that it was no better (you can't use lens filters and extension with it, and there is no decernable difference in image quality between the 7.2 and 8.1 megapixels resolutions). Therefore I opted for the W70 with a 1gb Memorystick Duo Pro (high speed) for a little over the list price of the DSC-W100.

Although I've only had the camera for a couple of days I am very impressed with the quality of the shots that I've taken so far. I have upgraded from a Sony DSC-P31 that I bought in summer 2001 and as with that machine the quality of Sony's build quality is evident (perhaps with the exception of the battery/memory card door...bit flimsy!) as soon as you take it out of the box.

The Carl Zeiss lens is extremely sensitive and produces stunning results and I am pretty impressed with the functionality of the new Cyber-shot Application software for Microsoft Windows, which allows you to view, edit and manipulate your photographs (and view slideshows).

The Amazon.co.uk price is the best out there and it was delivered within two days of my ordering it (first class postage is worth the extra few pounds). Well worth the money and it is a camera that you will be able to grow into as your photographic style develops. If like me you were tempted by a digital SLR or a bridging camera (like to Canon S3), but ultimately wanted something you could slip in your pocket on holiday then the DSC-W70 is not going to disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony DSC-W70, 24 July 2006
Quite possibly the best point and click camera on the market at the moment. Excellent picture quality. Very user friendly - the on screen menu guide is great for camera novices. Large screen for reviewing shots. Small but stylish - easily hides in your pocket. Would recommend this camera to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Phony Sony, 28 July 2006
Excellent camera. Purchased this about a month ago, and absolutely delighted with it. Great size - fits in your pocket unobtrusively. The picture selection wheel is excellent - switching between modes is realy quick. Piture quality is fantastic. Only slight niggle is the battery catch which feels on the flimsy side, but don't let that put you off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony W-70, 5 Sep 2006
I just want to say that I am very impressed so far with this camera. I was at first hesitant to buy but the reviews from websites had pushed my decision and most of all I found the cheapest price from Amazon.

It's got well designed functions for different shots suitable for indoor or outdoor and most weather conditions. With a 7.2 Mega Pixels using a Carl Zeiss lens it produces quality images.

Overall it has been impressive and looking forward to taking loads of pictures!!

I definately recommend the W70 for anyone who's looking for a quality digital camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 26 Sep 2006
How can I describe it!?It is simply fantastic camera to have, to shoot photos and print them out. As an intermediate user in photography this camera gives all I need to shoot some amazing photos. very simple to work and very reliable, make sure you get a 2 gig memory card if you want to use the 7.2 mega pixel mode!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera from Sony, 5 Sep 2006
Ben (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've owned a Sony camcorder for the last 4 years and I'm delighted with it. With this camera it looks like Sony haven't let us down either.

The picture quality is great and the colours vivid for both indoor and outdoor shots. Its compact size makes it perfect for any occasion as it will fit effortlessly in your pocket. It's very easy to use and I've hardly had the need to look at the manual to be honest.

All in all great value for money and perfect for novice/average users. My only (very small) regret is that it uses Sony's own proprietary Memory Stick Pro Duo cards, which are slightly more expensive than the SD card format. Other than that, buy without fear!

5.0 out of 5 stars W70 Digital Camera, 15 Oct 2006
C. Weir (Fife, UK) - See all my reviews
A great camera, takes high quality pictures and very simple to use. I bought this camera after owning a 3 mega pixel camera and the difference in quality is amazing! I would recommend this camera to anyone, even a beginner like me with its ease of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera, 7 Jan 2007
Julian Rogers - See all my reviews
I have had this camera for a week or so and continue to be thoroughly impressed with all aspects. It is simple enough for my 5 year old daughter to use and yet has enough features to keep a keen amateur snapper happy. Viewing and downloading pictures is quick and easy and the controls aren't too fiddly for such a compact camera. The Zeiss lens gives excellent results while shutter response is very rapid. All in all the W70 is a very impressive little camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 6 Jan 2007
J. Page "J Page" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was torn between this camera and a similarly priced Canon. The feature for me that swung it is the dial on the back which gives easy access to the various shooting modes. Most other compact digi cameras require you to navigate through menus to change shooting modes which is really laborious but with the Sony you can effortlessly change modes with the dial. The picture quality is excellent and the software interface is very good. The battery lasts for ages but can take up to 5 hours to charge. The camera is really compact but feels nicely robust and well made. Overall, you won't go far wrong with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 Jan 2007
I received this camera as a Christmas Present and I was certainly not dissapointed! The camera performs exceptionally well, both indoors and outdoors, producing excellent, sharp pictures. The 2.5 inch screen is great for viewing pictures before transferring them to the computer but this has not made the camera too big, fitting easily into your pocket. I also purchased the leather case which i think is necessary to prevent it from being scratched/damged. Another accessory which is very useful is a 2gb memory stick which allows me to get approximately 550 pictures on the highest setting. Overall I have found the camera very simple to use and producing very good pictures for a very reasonable price from Amazon!