Dollar - Platinum Collection
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£27.03+£1.26shipping

on 22 February 2007

Anyone who may be unfamiliar with these tracks from UK pop duo "Dollar" released for the first time on CD, only has to listen to the genius of Trevor Horn's production on The Buggles, ABC, Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Seal to know what they've been missing.

This is Trevor Horn at his best !!!

Trevor's complex arrangements on the likes of the UK top 5 hits "Mirror Mirror (Mon Amour)", "Give Me Back My Heart" and top 20 hits "Hand Held In Black And White", "Videotheque" have stood the test of time so well that unless you had heard them back then, you could be fooled into not knowing they had been produced in 1981-1982.

The production here was way ahead of it's time and it's clear to see why ABC's Martin Fry on hearing "Hand Held In Black And White" asked Trevor to do the same for ABC's "Lexicon Of Love".

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the remainder of this album reveals that Dollar were not afraid to experiment as producers. They succeed in pulling off some pleasing productions from the top 40 hit "Give Me Some Kinda Magic" to the darker electronic sounding "The Second Time Around" and from the haunting, touching "Pink And Blue" to the fun pop of "Dangerous Blondes".

I was all the more pleased when I realized the CD has been remastered. I found it obvious on listening that a lot of time and effort has gone into restoring these UK synth pop classics to sounding their best. Add to that some well crafted 2006 mixes and for the price... It's a bargain

A real treat for all fans of classic 80's synth pop !!!

May be one day they will release an expanded "The Dollar Album " remastered to CD. Now that really would be a synth fan's dream come true.
on 23 August 2006
Finally. After all these years. For the first time on CD: the original Dollar recordings from their early 80's WEA period. I never got around to buying a Dollar album back then, but I do remember hearing them on BFBS and humming their tunes. "Hand Held In Black And White", "Give Me Back My Heart", Mirror Mirror" and "Videotheque" were the Trevor Horn produced hits - irresisitible. "The Second Time Around" is another wonderful song, self-penned by the pretty Thereza Bazar and the cute David Van Day. (These songs - as well as "Give Me Some Kind Of Magic" were included on their third album, called "The Dollar Album".)

Some of the earlier songs such as "Radio" or "The Girls Are Out To Get Ya" are, admittedly, a little less convincing, not only production-wise, but especially when you listen to David's vocals on these tracks and then skip to "The Second Time Around" and see how much he had matured within a year or two. All in all, it's wonderful to be able to hear those long-lost tracks again, and we may be hopeful that Warner might release "The Dollar Album" in its entirety on CD after all.
on 25 December 2006
I wasn't a Dollar fan back in the early eighties. But their glossy image and Trevor Horn produced singles do stand out. I have a greatest hits album on CD of their earlier hit's. Plus the Dollar album on vinyl which include the perfect pop of Trevor Horn. Seeing this release of these songs for first time on CD? I felt it was a must buy. There is a mix of styles, but I felt the synthpop sound worked well for them. There are some other great tracks written and produced by the duo themselves. But the complex production of Trevor Horn's work on the Fairlight sampler keyboard. I suppose have stood the test of time and don't sound like they're from 1981/82.

The hit's Handheld Black and White, Mirror Mirror, Give me back my heart and Videotheque are the best. Handheld Black and White 12" is superb.
on 4 October 2006
I'm so tired of flying the flag for Dollar, (it's quite an in-joke in the office where I work), that my arms really ache! At their best they were a truly exceptional pop group. David Van Day possessed one of the best pop voices ever, which was complemented exquisitely by Thereza's pastel tones to create a unique and distinctive sound. Their first album "SHOOTING STARS" did contain 2 amazing singles and some super other tracks (I love Christopher Neil's production), and has been great to have on various CD compilations over the years, but I've been waiting for the amazing-yet-forgotten catalogue of Warner tracks to be released in CD glory for over 20 years, and a chance visit to HMV yesterday led to my elation upon accidentally discovering this new "PLATINUM COLLECTION". I would ideally like it best if the two 80s albums "THE PARIS COLLECTION" and "THE DOLLAR ALBUM" could both have been released in their entirety, along with extra B-sides, rarities and surprises, but this is good enough for now.

The 4 Trevor Horn tracks, which open this compilation, really are 4 of the best pop recordings ever made. "Mirror Mirror (Mon Amour)" is one of my favourite records of all time - it's absolutely unique, and beautifully written, performed and recorded. (Please bring out a DVD of the videos et al). "Videotheque" is equally original, and a fabulous wall of sound creation. I think this remains the jewel in the Dollar crown which non-fans would be surprised by and think was pretty cool today, even though it was a fair hit in its day.

I've always thought that the 8 self-penned and produced tracks on "THE DOLLAR ALBUM" were mostly excellent, and showed that a little of Trevor Horn's magic touch must have rubbed off on the pair. Great that 4 of these feature here (3 in special extended remix versions), but where, oh where is "Guessing Games" or "Anyone Who's Anyone". These deserved inclusion. Maybe that album will one day become fully available. I am, however, ecstatic to be given the demo of "Mirror Mirror" (which predictably lacks Trevor Horn's subsequent genius), and rare tracks like "Two Hearts", which I'd only heard once before from a poor quality website download. The 2006 Extended Remix of "Give Me Some Kinda Magic" packs a pleasing punch.

I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy the tracks from "THE PARIS COLLECTION" here far more than before. The CD treatment has served them well.

I expect for guys, it helps if you're gay to like this sort of clean-cut classic sugary pop, but if you want to extend and improve your taste and hear some of the best 80s pop there is, then you'd be well-advised in making this purchase at the very low price - you can't go wrong - there's plenty for your money's worth.

I hope the world now gives Dollar the respect and place in pop history they deserve, and I can start waving my flags a little less !
on 8 July 2006
Dollar were always seen as a bit of a joke; the hair, the cheesy Seaside Special dancing, Thereza's breathy, hardly-there vocals, David's apparent egomania...And yet, and yet: all those classic singles, even before Trevor Horne used them as a dry run for the production techniques that would later make him huge.

Their version of I Wanna Hold Your Hand is better than the Beatles' (blasphemy, no doubt), of course there are a few duff tracks here but the glory that is Videotheque would excuse any and all sins against music.

Thereza later gave David the heave-ho to record a brilliant (honestly!)solo album, The Big Kiss, which the world needs on CD post haste. Anyone listening??
on 10 January 2007
Finally the greatest period of Dollar is available on CD and at an unbelievable price! Why aren't all CDs priced like this?? Dollar's 80s hits are amazing and quite why they weren't available before now is a little bewildering. Die hards would have liked the entire albums remastered but this is as good as it gets for now. Absolutely essential.
At long last.
Its what every avid DOLLAR fan has been waiting for.
Why oh Why has it taken so long for the powers that be to finally allow the release of the WEA recordings?
Although i have yet to both recieve and listen to this release i feel confident that it's going to be well worth the wait.
I have a copy of 'The Dollar Cassette' and it has found a perminant home for years in what is now my households only remaining cassette player.

Can't wait to hear: Videotech, Hand Held In Black And White, Mirror Mirror, Give Me Back My Heart and Give Me Some Kinda Magic in glorious CD format.

"POPTASTIC"
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A fantastic collection of dollar, creme de la creme!.
The demo of mirror mirror is actually a very cool version, van day is a twit, how ms bazar did'nt bury him under the patio! I'l never know.
They just made magic together, a wall of sound, her unusual angelic breathy, but strong vocals and perfect harmony's, and dvds straight ahead soulfullness and brill production melodies etc, just magic!.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
well i love little dollar always have done but i will try to objective!

rewind to 1983 i bought the 12" of hand held in black and white and it was fantastic...mirror mirror didnt quite do it for me but then give me back my heart came out backed with pink and blue.

this cd is the album of the time featuring the hits...but its got lots of little bonuses!

the 12" of hand held in black and white is amazing in cd..if you havent heard it get it! then youve got give me some kind of magic and videotheque....!

other gems on here are pink and blue, living a life of dreams, takin a chance on you.

sure there are some very weak tracks like dangerous blondes, radio and young love but if they had left them out it would have been a ten track best of and still fantastic!

if you love dollar..abba..bucks fizz....great pop music in general you will love 75% of the album and for the price it is you cant go wrong!

dollar made great pop music and although sonia make them a laughing stock during beborn in the usa...and theres the burger van day jokes you cannot take away their place and time in pop history!

if you doubt me sail away with therese's dreamy ahhhs on the last 2 mins of hand held in black and white!
on 25 July 2006
I'm so happy that album has been released. Like many other Dollar fans I thought the tracks included here would never see the light of day on "wonderfully re-mastered CD". These songs were recorded during Dollar's W.E.A. period which, in my opinion was their best & includes all 4 singles recorded with Trevor Horne. This album is therefore not intended to be a "Best Of" or "Greatest Hits" as one reviewer seemed to think, rather a collection of some of the tracks recorded during their time with this label.

At £4.99 this release is an absolute bargain, I would have paid that for the 4 hit tracks alone. If you like Eighties music you can't go wrong.

Once again, thank you to everyone concerned with this project. A job very well done!!