5.0 out of 5 stars Razor sharp, superb optics - punches well above it's price
I've personally owned and used this lens on 3 mounts, Pentax, Nikon and Sony.
Currently using the lens on A mount (Sony)

Published 10 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon sold as 'new' but item received clearly was not new
Amazon are treading a fine line here: the product is described as 'new' but the one i received clearly had been opened and used and included a hoya filter fitted to the lens with a finger print on!!! I've had a quick look and all seems fine with the lens so far, however selling a opened and used item is new is not an honest way to proceed.
Published 20 months ago by Phil

5.0 out of 5 stars Razor sharp, superb optics - punches well above it's price, 14 Oct 2013
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
I've personally owned and used this lens on 3 mounts, Pentax, Nikon and Sony.
Currently using the lens on A mount (Sony)

I've nothing but praise for this lens during extensive field use it's proven extremely capable and useful, and I've used it along other good quality lenses such as Sigma's and Nikkors/Pentax. The lens continues to impress to this day and it's my "go to lens" for a trip out being nice and wide for landscape work, and fast enough to use in poor light inside and out. That's one of the reasons for looking at a lens such as this one.

I'll kick of with my pros and cons

Pros:
+ Useful range and speed equivalent to a 25-75mm f2.8 lens on full frame (1.5x crop bodies)
+ Price is much cheaper than original makers equivalents
+ Lens is "tack sharp" in the central region at f2.8 and across the zoom range up to 50mm
+ Front element does not rotate on focus or extend (internal focus design) - Unlike kit lenses
+ Border and edges only show very slight sharpness drop off even at f2.8 at the wide end only the extreme corners are not quite sharp (stop it down just a little)
+ Build is "decent" for this price point, it's def not a Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 tank pro build lens, but it's a good step up from a kit lens quality wise.
+ Quite good close up ability. Maximum Magnification Ratio 1:4,5 whilst nothing amazing on it's own it's actually better than it's Canon/Nikon/Sigma equivalents
+ Lens is quite compact and not that heavy at 430g and comes with a lens hood (take note Canon)
+ Metal lens mount (Kit lenses are plastic)
+ Excellent detail, contrast and colour rendition copes well even with higher resolution sensors 16-24mp
+ Long warranty - 5 years. I'm not sure how Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony can't offer a proper warranty like Tamron does

Cons:
- Focus ring "does rotate" with AF so watch your fingers here
- Sony/Pentax versions are screw driven (doesn't bother me but it makes more noise, take note vieo users) Nikon/Canon ones have an internal motor (again it's not AF-S, or USM quiet)
- At the 17mm there is some field curvature which means if you are very close to a subject it can push the sides out of focus (I've not found it a big problem in day to day use)
- Some CA at the 17mm end wide open, not significant but clears up stopping down
- It's not weather sealed (I don't expect this at the price)
- Some vignetting and distortion at f2.8 wide end (about a stop 17mm in fall off), by no means huge somewhat better than most worth taking a note though, dropping to f4 pretty much clears it up if that's a concern
- 67mm filter, not that common a size (but the lens is quite compact one plus)
- Background blur, might not be to everyone's taste, it's not always super smooth but some might be quite happy with it. I've never felt it to be poor in this area, but some folks like buttery smooth "bokeh". I think you'll find a 50mm fast prime delivers better here. In most day to day shooting situations I've found the rendering to be quite good though.

Just a note here to some users who might be having problems:
A good copy should be very good and sharp even wide open central area across the entire range (even at 50mm) if it's not then make sure you double check your Autofocus accuracy (try live view and manual focus) If that's not working then as per any lens purhcase get a replacement, but most times AF issues are the camera body more than the lens. Stopping down wide end to f5.6 should tighen up the extreme corners very well (subject to the field curvature point)

If you have a lens that's soft one side much more than the other it's de-centered and needs looking at (this can be an issue on any lens you will spot it fairly quickly if it's an issue)

For various mounts there are alternatives.
Sony and Pentax users benefit from having in body stabilisation which is a real pro point for a fast f2.8 zoom.
For Sony users if you want weather sealing, a quiet SSM motor and a slightly wider 16mm then the Sony 16-50mm f2.8 is worth a look, optics wise the Tamron has the edge IMO though with better performance on the borders (price is quite good on the Sony lens has to be said)

Pentax users have a very nicely build 16-50mm f2.8 SDM DA*, this is based on a Tokina lens design and has sealing. It's a very nicely made lens but it's beaten out in terms of optics v the Tamron, it's also quite expensive and has more CA issues as well as higher distortion.

Nikon/Canon users have quite a few choices, from their native 17-55mm f2.8 which are both very good, the Nikkor has exceptional build quality, but it's costly and significantly larger/heavier, like the Tamron it does not have VR (which is surprising) The Canon also a good lens but has IS, again costs quite a lot more than this Tamron though.

The Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 is another choice this has OS, unlike this Tamron. The actual field of view on the Sigma is closer to 18mm than 17mm and the Tamron has it beaten with much better edges/corner performance (the Sigma get's better stopped down) The OS and reduced price as well as the quieter HSM motor might appeal more to Canon/Nikon users, tough choice here.

Sigma 17-70mm is another option, this is quite a nice lens with very good close up focus ability, but only f2.8 at the widest zoom dropping to f4 tele end. You give up some speed for a bigger range. It's worth thinking about your options depending on what mount you are using.
Tamron do a VC version which I've used and I feel the non VC Tamron is sharper on an optical level. This isn't available on Pentax/Sony mounts so you have no tricky choices here!

Another note, I've used this lens with Made in Japan, and Made in China versions. I can't see any differences in the build or design and I don't have any reasons to feel it's worth worrying about. More recent stock seems to be made in China. It's sometimes a point of discussion for some though.

I have not had any problems with the lenses I've had across the 3 mounts, but will update the review if any issues arise over time.

Bottom line is, kit lens upgrade very much worthwhile. There is simply no comparison with the 18-55mm kit lenses v this lens, esp the Sony/Pentax and Nikkor kit lenses struggle in many areas, the Tamron is much sharper and importantly the f2.8 speed across the entire range is well worth losing 5mm on the tele end (you gain more wide end too)

A normal kit lens will have you at f5.6 at the tele end, that's a full 2 stops extra speed with the Tamron. That's quite significant for lower light shooting, as well as depth of field control.

Highly recommended lens, I've been consistently impressed with this lens over a number of years use, it's an essential purchase for anyone with a kit lens looking to move up, and well worth the asking price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 21 April 2009
N. Downes (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Lens for Canon (Camera)
I purchased this lens over 8 months ago, replacing the plastic bodied kit lens that Canon unfortunately decided was adequate to include with a 400D.
The Tamron lens shares a plastic construction in many elements, but has a much more significant weight to it, indicating a much more solid construction overall. This weight also sits very well on small-medium bodied SLR (eg 400D, 40D), balancing well, especially if you're using an external battery grip.
I've had no problems using this lens as my walkaround lens. It focuses consistently and is an extremely sharp lens for what can be purchased under 300 - comparable, apparently, to Canons extremely expensive 17-55mm 2.8 EF-S lens at twice the cost. Its sharp and fast enough that i've used it as my primary lens for weddings with perfectly acceptable results. Full time manual focussing would have got it 5 stars, and with the hood on in a reversed state, you cannot grip the focussing ring as this sits at the front of the lens. Once the hood is in use, its no longer an obstacle.
Yes, it does struggle with low light sometimes and requires a switch to be flicked before you can rectify this with manual focussing.
Zoom and focussing rings are smooth to operate and so far have shown no sign of loosening or even zoom creep (there a nifty lock function as well).
Note that there have been no communication problems with my Canon 400D body, nor my colleagues 450D body which was released some time after the lens was manufactured.

Overall, a great lens for a very reasonable cost, and a perfect replacement to the extremely ordinary kit lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars This lens will never leave your camera!!, 9 Sep 2009
This lens is fantastic. I have used it for weddings, landscapes and family portraits (including animals) and its great.

Pictures are lovely and sharp at all apertures. 2.8 is a bit soft (in comparison to smaller apertures) but is still very sharp. I use the 2.8 for photographing brides and it makes their skin and features look beautiful. Also at 2.8 (50mm) subjects really pop from the background. The colours are fantastic.

It gets much better reviews (on professional review websites) than the Canon 17-85mm, if you are struggling to decide between the two.

It is a bit loud on focusing (if you are the type to bother about such issues) but it has never bothered me nor any of my clients during a wedding service.

I've never had any focusing issues with this lens. Most of focusing problems with any lens are 99% user error (in my opinion, either people miss the subject with their focus point, or forget about the crop factor which allows for a bit of camera shake to sneak into their shots). In low light its still very accurate due, of course, to the 2.8 f stop.

There is a bit of barrel distortion at 17mm to about 21mm. This is most obvious when photographing horizons. However, it isn't really visible most of the time and this is the simplest type of distortion to fix in photoshop (honestly takes about 5-10 secs max).

In my personal opinion you do not need the VC version at this focal range. If the subject even slightly moves (as most living beings do) VC will be a waste of time anyway. Just put your ISO up if you must. Keep your shutter speed above 1/100 or higher and your shots will be razor sharp. With 2.8, 1/100 is easy to reach a low ISO levels.

Its 2.8 from 17-50mm which makes it great in low light and great fun for portraits and experimenting. You will not regret purchasing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent fast lens for general use, 26 Dec 2009
Dr. G. Austin "Graham Austin" (Black Country UK) - See all my reviews
This is an improvement over the Sony kit lens. No problems with it so far and I find it convenient to use. I recently took photos at a friend's wedding and it coped with black suits, white dresses, snow and bright low sunlight very well. I like to use available light so this lens is much better than the slow kit item. My only minor criticism is that it is a bit difficult to remove from the camera without turning the zoom ring as well.
Two years on and I am still knocked out by this lens. I did have a slight problem when it occasionally stopped talking to the camera but this seems to have been solved by giving the contacts a good clean with a solvent.
Some reviewers have complained that it is noisy when focussing but I really haven't noticed that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8mm Lens for Canon, 3 Oct 2012
Got this lens from Amazon in SEPT. Purchased for live music sessions mounted on a Canon 40D as a step up from a general purpose travel lens.

After recent testing in a couple of live venues, I'm really pleased with the results. Shots are sharp even at f2.8 and the wider aperture compared to a standard lens is a huge plus for low light work.

Build quality is good and feels sturdy and a nice weight. Auto focus is relatively quick, but is a bit loud compared to USM lenses (but that doesn't bother me). Factor in the price and I am very happy with this lens. A good buy and would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Zoom, 3 May 2011
If you are looking for a great zoom with good contrast and sharpness look no further. I have used this lens and the more recent version with the (VC) and this lens is sharper and to be honest with its fast aperture you one doesn't really need (VC).
Unless you have the spare cash to take the big step up the Canon L series of zoom lens all costing in excess of 1100. This is great little lens for an Canon APS size camera such as the 400,500,600D the 20,30,50 and 60D models along with the semi-pro 7D. You will not be disappointed with the results and this lens will end up staying on your camera most of the time lens as it covers 90% of most people shooting situations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic lens, 4 April 2010
J. Macdonald - See all my reviews
I have a Pentax K200D & kit lens. I was looking for a faster lens for general use but with a long enough focal length for portraiture too. I tried the 28-75 first, but 2 copies had extremely poor IQ wide open, so I returned them & got a Sigma 18-50. That too was poor wide open, so I got this. Some reports say this is not as well built as the Sigma, but as far as I can tell they are equal in build quality. And the IQ on the Tamron is miles ahead. Yeah, it's sharper at F4 or F5.6 than it is at F2.8, but it's very, very useable at F2.8, so not a problem at all. The colours are excellent & it focuses quickly & accurately. It's only noisy if it has to hunt, which depends on the camera's AF system more than on the lens & doesn't happen often.

If you're looking to upgrade from the camera kit lens, this is definitely a fantastic buy. You'll wonder how anyone makes do with an 18-55mm F3.5-5.6. You'll get sharper pics with better bokeh, better low light capabilities & the ability to take fast action shots. On a sunny day I've got shots at 1/4000 of a second at F2.8 & ISO 100. That's as fast as the shutter goes, and freezes action beautifully!

One star off for having no metal at all externally, it's all plastic, but for the price compared to the camera brands' own version, that's certainly acceptable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon sold as 'new' but item received clearly was not new, 12 Dec 2012
Phil (Stapleford, Notts, UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the kit lens, but I still don't use it much, 12 April 2012
Chris (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this lens mostly for it's wider aperture, but also for its focal range, and image quality.

Image quality wise, it's pretty good, especially for its cost. Every now and again the autofocus can miss its mark though, especially in low light.

Speaking of which, I needed something with a good aperture for low light, as I intended on shooting some of my girlfriends gigs. This lens was meant to be the answer. However I've found my camera (Canon 7D) struggles in low light with the lens. As the lenses focus motor is EXTREMELY LOUD, it's pretty poor for gig/event photography as it constantly is searching for a focus point. So unless it's a loud event (and not an acoustic gig!), you're best off in manual focus!

Ultimately I have to admit this lens is pretty much gathering dust now. Unless I need "Wide" angle, I tend to use a 50mm or 100mm prime indoors and in low light. I may even use a 10-20mm ultra-wide. For everything else I'd rather use a different lens with faster, quieter and more reliable autofocus.

5.0 out of 5 stars FIRST RATE, 18 Feb 2011
A. Taylor (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've owned and used this lens for some time now, it's almost permanently on my camera, 550D, and the results are excellent.

I was a bit concerned as the last Tamron lens I had, while of very good quality, tended to be a little soft, but after debating the difference in price between this and the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 and reading as many reviews as I could I plumped for this. Glad I did, the Canon may be better, I know no one who has one, but I don't believe it will produce photo's 300 better!
This lens has no IS, I understand the optics on the IS version are not as good. I do not know about that but I do know that in general the results from this are very good.

Low light performance, using a tripod is a joy, certainly the f/2.8 makes a huge difference. Photo's that previously took 10 to 15 seconds can now be got at 5 to 8 secs, may not sound much but makes a difference round here to the amount of light pollution I have to clean off :-) (used for astronomy in case you were wondering).

Overall an excellent lens that I would not be without.