4.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets for the price
I'm not as excited about this as some people seem on here. But I do like it.
1st and best thing about this item is the value for money.
As a bike accessory in general, it's okay.
Build quality is necessarily minimal but decent enough. Being entirely made of plastic to keep the weight down.

While the rubber strap is useful in that its long enough...
Published on 1 April 2012 by Dogshark

1.0 out of 5 stars so I'll do my best to explain why
This is way below the average stars awarded to this mirror, so I'll do my best to explain why.

Hmm, where to start?

Published 4 months ago by Dzejms

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets for the price, 1 April 2012
This review is from: Zefal Spy Mirror - Black (Sports)
I'm not as excited about this as some people seem on here. But I do like it.
1st and best thing about this item is the value for money.
As a bike accessory in general, it's okay.

While the rubber strap is useful in that its long enough to allow you to fix the mirror to a multitude of places on your bike. It is far too stretchy and does not provide enough pressure to truly secure the mirror in place.
Once I got the mirror in a reasonable viewing position, secured to my right barend, I found that it was quite easy to knock the mirror out of position. Forcing me to take care everytime I switched to using my bar ends.

The strap is also too long. If you secure it to a thinner tube such as handlebars or barends you are left with a few inches of strap that hangs loosely. This can get in the way of things if you don't fix the mirror to your bike in just the right position. You may do as I did and decide that I was only going to clamp it to my handlebars or bar ends and cut off the length of strap that is uneccessary.

Even after doing this I was still not fully satisfied with the fit. So I took the thing apart and mounted the mirror and rotating bezel to a regular reflector mount. So now I have the same mirror with all the same rotational freedom, same basic dimensions but with a rock solid mount.

This was very easy to do. If anyone would like instructions on how to do this leave a comment or send me a message. It really was quite effective and does not require breaking anything so you can go back to the original mount at any time.

This does mean tho that the mirror is now a permanent feature. But its fixed on pretty solid so you would have to break it to steal it making it useless.

Trying the various suggested positions on the bike, crossbar, stem, fork leg, inner handlebar and outer handlebar, I found that the only place I could really get a decent enough view of the road behind, was when the mirror was mounted to the top of my right bar end.

The mirror itself seemed smaller, once it arrived, than I thought it was going to be and the impression I got from the pics.
But I don't think this is a too bad as I didn't want to upset the profile of my handlebars too much by using this.

I did find it pretty fiddly at first trying to find the right angle to view the road behind, but once I got in position I was quite pleased with the view it provided. Even as small as it is, thanks to the convex mirror you get quite a decent view. With a little head tilting you can see even more.

So in summary.

On the upside, its's very cheap, it looks cool, its easy to fit/remove, its very light and fundementally works as a mirror just fine.
On the downside, the clamp/strap is poorly conceived and does not clamp very effectively. Easy to knock out of position.

Definite case of getting what you pay for. Does the job, not perfectly, but cheaply.

Would recommend for those trying to trick out their bike on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one, 8 May 2009
This review is from: Zefal Spy Mirror - Black (Sports)
I have tried loads of mirrors and this is the one! Perfect for commuting, touring and even your carbon road bike - light, discreet, and very usable. About as perfect as a bike mirror can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zefal Mirror Spy, 16 July 2011
This review is from: Zefal Spy Mirror - Black (Sports)
Came across this little gem while looking for a suitable mirror for my new Dawes KaraKum butterfly handlebars. Always look behind of course, but I am a strong advocate of bicycle mirrors - good to know who or what is coming up behind you such as big lorries, buses and even other cyclists (I'm not as fast as I was). Mirrors are a must when driving or riding a motorcycle so why not a bike? They ought to be mandatory. The Zefal Mirror Spy is perfect. It fits anywhere on my handlebars - found top rh corner best and does not get in the way - and is very adjustable and simply clips on and off using the cleverly designed flexible but secure rubber fastening strap. Good rear vision with no vibration. Buy one - it just might save your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, discreet little piece of kit., 16 Jan. 2011
EK Exile (Cheshire (UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zefal Spy Mirror - Black (Sports)
Suspected this could be rubbish, so initially only bought the one, but was that pleased promptly ordered another for my other bike. Convex mirrored surface is slightly bigger than new (2010) iPod Nano, fixes to bike via stretch rubber band that is long enough to wrap round front stem, normal sized top and bottom tubes, front fork or bar ends (if you've got them). Mirror has 360 degree rotation and good tilt range, both reassuringly stiff so getting the correct angle is easy and more importantly once adjusted, it says there. Vibration appears non-existent.

Mounted flush to frame, view is along top tube between your legs, so occasional tilting out of right leg helps get a fuller view but you soon get used to this so not a problem. Small and very discreet, but gives good warning of traffic coming up from behind, but (especially if frame mounted) obviously not a replacement for looking over your shoulder before moving out, but hey, even motorcyclists with full sized mirrors call this "the life saver".

Oh, and it's not 2kg as stated in the product description (a small fraction of that), but you never thought it was, did you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice, 29 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Zefal Spy Mirror - Black (Sports)
Just bought 2 of these.....one for my wife......before a week of cycling in Brittany. I can only say that they were brilliant. They fit in seconds, and stay rock solid. I have straight handlebars, with bar extensions added. They clip onto the extensions (left or right) and can be adjusted to give an excellent view behind. If you haven't got bar extension, it's worth picking some up just to put these mirrors on!. Very highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, 19 Jun. 2011
Gary Dean (Dorking, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zefal Spy Mirror - Black (Sports)
but feels just a tad on the delicate side. I don't think it would take too many knocks, hence only 4 stars.

The size is good, small enough to be discrete but big enough to do the job once you get used to the image and the distorted perception of distance. I have straight bars and have mine fitted to the end of the offside bar end. For me it doesn't interfere with my hand positions and gives me a good view behind. Now that I am used to it, I don't think I would like to ride without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zefal Mirror Spy, 5 July 2009
J. C. Ball "CHRIS B" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zefal Spy Mirror - Black (Sports)
A very neat little mirror, an invaluable addition to my Specialised road bike. Very easy to fit, well made and a very clear image. Certainly provides you with a great view of those pesky motorists sneaking up on you !! Really pleased with my purchase and great value for money. Fully recommended CHRIS B

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, 19 Jun. 2011
H. Paton "Hugh" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zefal Spy Mirror - Black (Sports)
Bought this on basis of reviews. It's dead easy to mount, and I now have it on my top tube, which gives me a beautiful view of, alternately, my right leg and the road behind me! It's easy to glance at and keep a feel of what's going on behind, although you'd still want to turn and check properly before undertaking any death-defying manoeuvre like turning right.

1.0 out of 5 stars so I'll do my best to explain why, 31 Mar. 2015

Hmm, where to start?

Ok, the bike, I bought this to use on is a Brompton M3L - so straight bars essentially. The first problem is that fitting it so that it's over the top of the bars reduces your hand room too much. Fit it under the bars and your arm obscures it.

I managed to bodge it to fit over the end of the handlebars, so that the mirror was in line with the bars. This needed a couple of zip-ties as the mount doesn't allow 3D movement. My arm still blocked the view, but not too badly now.

Out on the road, the limitations really came apparent - the small size and lumpy mirror combined with vibration to make a clear image a distant dream. And I kept having to move my arm every time I wanted to check it.

I gave it a few days (about 30 miles of commuting) before I binned it and went back to a traditional bar end mirror. Whilst I did get used to the image it presented, I was having to study it to make it resolve into something useful, which defeats the safety aspect of a mirror. At night, forget it. The distortion of the lens means that headlights just wash everything out.

I can see it working better on drop bars, and for someone who only wants to have a little 'early warning device' instead of receive a proper picture of what is going on behind you.

The image is too small, too distorted and on flat bars the placement options mean you can't have an unobstructed view of the mirror.

1.0 out of 5 stars Zefal Mirror Spy, 9 May 2013
Phil (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zefal Spy Mirror - Black (Sports)
This bike rear view mirror has just arrived. Cant believe I've spent £10.22, including p&p for this tiny plastic "mirror" which is held onto bike with an elastic band. I cant see this worth fitting as mirror is so small I imagine it to be dangerous. It might be useful as a secondary mirror used with my existing one. If i'd have seen it in a shop I dont think I'd have paid more than a couple of pounds. UPDATE; Having used this now a few times I've taken it of my bike and its gone in the dust bin. To me it is a useless mirror, not fit for purpose.

Zefal Spy Mirror - Black