5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Game for Golden Oldie Gamers!
Thanks Nintendo for providing great games which appeal to an older and more mature audience!

If you are more of an oldie gamer you may well appreciate playing popular card games such as rummy and solitaire, popular board games such as chess, backgammon and also more sporting games such as bowling and darts.

It isn't just the fact that here we have 42...
Published on 1 Oct 2006 by Crafty Marie

3.0 out of 5 stars Billy no mates need not apply.
Nintendo's plans to get the whole world playing on DS are continuing with the launch of a new title packed full of classic card and board games for the whole family.

This latest release does exactly what it says on the box, with 42 classic games. Now when I say "classic" I don't mean Pac-Man & Super mario, but classic card games (like poker and Texas Hold 'em),...
Published on 3 Oct 2006 by Gary Hilton

5.0 out of 5 stars 42 All-time classics for Nintendo DS, 5 May 2009
This review is from: 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I'm fairly new to Nintendo having just bought my games console in January. However, I'm addicted! I was looking for something I could take on holiay where I had to give a little thought to what I was doing. I read many of the reviews for games and quite a number for this one and decided this was the one to buy. I'm very pleased with it but have just a few negative comments. Lots of the card games have many instructions before you can play them, which is frustrating when you're dying to get going. Having said that, they're really informative BUT, you must play them regularly or you forget which instructions go with which game! I get a good feeling when I win, but become so frustrated when I can't - namely on chess and draughts. I can play chess and draughts on proper boards and actually win, but I don't seem to be able to do it here. Same goes for the 'sandwich your opponents' game. The Billiards one I can't seem to crack at all either. This sounds as if I don't rate this game at all, but I do. I would still recommend people buy it; I find it very hard to put down at times and have to time-limit myself if I'm playing before bedtime or I'd never get to sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money and lots to choose from., 7 April 2009
caron (Rochester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This was given to me as a bday present and I have had great fun playing it so far.
The 42 games are diverse in type and difficulty. There are games of various types: card, strategy, board games, action (darts and bowling) etc
There are various ways to play too - freeplay, stamp or mission. My favourite is stamp. This requires the player to gain three stamps for each game to move on to the next game and eventually the next level.

This is the type of game you can play quickly if you only have 10 minutes - OR you can be absorbed for hours!

Great value for what you pay!

5.0 out of 5 stars `Cincinatti Kid'......eat your heart out..., 26 Mar 2009
This review is from: 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This was originally bought for my daughter but I have become addicted. It has everything from darts to bowling and all the old card games as well as the adult favourites. I especially love Solitaire and Blackjack. Although I am pleased I don't play for real money, otherwise I would be out of pocket. A good buy, I never get bored of playing it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but what use are the designs?, 19 Feb 2009
This review is from: 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Love this game, very addictive, so much so my other half has gone and bought his own console cos he says he never gets a look in! There are a number of things I can't quite get my head around but thats because I've never played some of the games before. One thing i cannot understand is - what on earth are those designs (not icons) i keep unlocking? What do I do with them - no explanation in the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good collection of games, 6 Jan 2009
Mirriam (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I was given this for Christmas and so far its proving to be a firm favourite - some of the games have unfamiliar names but as soon as you start to play them, you will recognise them. There is a good mix of card games, board games, darts, bowling, billiards, balance - too many games to count and also you can unlock other games. I'm not very good at platform games so straightforward games like this suit me.

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun but ..., 8 Jan 2008
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
... is better with a friend or two.

There are two main options for this game

- single player
- multiplayer

Once you have registered your game-name and chosen your icon you can start playing.

If you are unsure of how to play a specific game all you need to do is click on the rules tab at the bottom of the screen and scroll through at your own pace. The rules are, predominately, easy to understand.

--- MULTIPLAYER ---

This is one of those wonderful games where only one player requires a single DS cartridge for up to 7 friends in the same room to play against each other on a free LAN download; or for up to seven friends over the Nintendo WFC (Nintendo WiFi Connection). I have not played it over the WiFi so I do not if there is any delay in the game play.

It is great fun when you and your family or friends are on the move, or when others are hogging the console and you want a quiet bit of friendly competition.

--- SINGLE PLAYER ---

This option gives you 3 choices:

* Free Play
* Stamp
* Mission

Most of the games have 4 players - 3 CPU players and you.

* Stamp

You work your way through all the available games on either Easy, Normal or Hard. Before you can move onto the next game you must achieve 3 stamps on the current game.

In games where there are 4 players the one who finishes in 1st place will receive 3 stamps, 2nd place 2 stamps and 3rd and 4th places will receive 1 stamp.

In games where you are against a single CPU player the winner receives 3 stamps and the loser 1 stamp. So it is possible to progress regardless of how bad you are (in my case it's Blackjack, I'm just grateful it's not real money, and Hasami Shogi).

If you already have 2 stamps on a game and you then win 3 stamps then 2 of those stamps will carry over to the next game giving you an advantageous start on the next set of stamps - something which is very handy when you hit that game that you just can't get the hang of.

This "mission" series is a great way of trying games without becoming bored with them as the maximum times you have to play them is 3 before you can move on.

* Free Play

Choose a game from any of the available game groups:

--- Basic Card Games
- Old Maid, Spit, I Doubt It, Sevens, Memory, Pig

--- Intermediate Card Games
- Blackjack, Hearts, President, Rummy, Seven Bridge, Last Card, Last Card Plus

--- Advanced Card Games
- 5 Card Draw, Texas Hold'em, Nap, Spades, Contract Bridge

--- Basic Board Games
- Chinese Checkers, Checkers, Dots & Boxes, Hasami Shogi, Turncoat, Connect 5, Grid Attack

--- Advanced Board Games

- Bowling, Darts, Balance, Billiards, Take Over

--- Single Player Games
- Solitaire, Escape, Mahjong Solitaire

* Mission

In this section there are 30 tasks to complete and they range in difficulty. For example the first game is "I Doubt It" but the twist is you have to correctly call "Cheater" 5 times before any of the CPU players do. The second is to clear the "Memory" board in under 3 minutes and so on. Each completed task opens a new player icon.

The games are a great distraction on journeys (bus or train), or if you have to spend time in waiting rooms or you have the misfortune to endure a hospital stay.

Overall the games are a great distraction for the individual player, but the free LAN download makes if great fun for a group of friends to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars variety, 4 Jan 2008
R. Magowan (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
this game has lots of variety to keep you going you dont want to put it down when you get bored of one game you go for another its not just cards its darts, billards, bowling and loads more would recommend this its my favourite so far

5.0 out of 5 stars 42 Alltime classics, 28 Dec 2007
Mr. S. J. Goscomb (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Just Brilliant, something there for all the family, trouble is we have only one Nintendo consule, we keep fighting over whose turn it is next to play, this is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy to use, 24 Feb 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This game is great for the DS because it is so easy to pick up and play for a few minutes without getting frustrated or bored, even if you play for longer periods. The games are all fairly simple but there really is 42 of them, and they really are all proper games (admittedly a few felt a little samey, but msot of the time on these games you find only a few decent ones.) The controls are so easy to use and totally designed for the DS, and unlike a lot of games where I feel that it could have been made much simpler and less difficult to use. This is a great game at a great price and I would recommend you buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant entertaining game!, 7 July 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I bought this game, used and new from amazon and was really pleased with the game. It offers great sounds and picture quality and fun casino music plays through the entire time you're playing (although this can be turned off!) There are plenty of categories, all with different games. There are card, board, action and other games categories, all with something for everyone. Some games are harder and more advanced than others, but mostly you will have no trouble playing them. I would particularly recommend the bowling, darts, soda shake and spit games! They are enteratining, fun, easy to play and slightly addictive! This game is great fun for boys and girls and also brilliant for long journeys! Age: um, I would say 9 and up would be able to play!
P.S you can connect wirelessly to a nintendo ds nearby and give them one of your games to play as a gift!

42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS)
42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
10.00