5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked but excellent
I will admit from the start that I am an admirer of both Stephen Fry and Oscar Wilde, so this film is a dream come true for me. However, if you're not a fan of either, this could just be the thing to convert you.
Fry gives a simply amazing performance as Wilde, at times heartbreakingly touching; he almost makes you go through the emotions with him. Jude Law as the...
Published on 18 July 2004 by Sometimes Things Get Whatever

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought it would be better, but it's still not bad
I like both Oscar Wilde and Stephen Fry (who I know also adores Wilde), so I had high hopes for this film. I wasn't so much disappointed, as a little underwhelmed. There were parts that I really enjoyed, but overall film didn't really flow well and, if I am honest, the acting wasn't top notch. 3/5 is not really a fair reflection however, I would be more inclined to say...
Published 13 months ago by Woodster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Ripe for a special edition, 16 Mar. 2010
Mr. S. P. R. Knowles (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
Not much more can be said on the content and performances of the film, but I might add a note that the currently available edition claims to have a 5.1 surround soundtrack which is incorrect. It's just 2.0. rather disappointingly.

I look forward to a good Blu-ray edition with a 5.1 remastered soundtrack, commentary and more extras.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wilde as ever, 21 May 2012
Rosa Vasconcellos "reader tyszki" (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
Wilde is great entertainment for those, like me, that cherish the work of Oscar Wilde and admire his avant-guarde personality.
The cast is wonderful and Stephen Fry definitely stands out. His performance made me feel that I was actually looking and listening to Oscar Wilde.
Good photography too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Acting By Jude Law, 23 May 2008
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I kept watching this film as I found it extremely fascinating. All the actors were noteworthy, but Jude Law as Bosie was easily the star of it. I especially liked the sulky, spoilt attitude he depicted when Bosie declared he was bored of living in the country and later when Oscar was ill in bed!
Jude Law is superb and he is truly Britain's finest export as an international actor. Surely he has cupboards full of statuettes after this film's main character's namesake?
I think there are many ways one could portray Oscar Wilde. Instead of focusing solely on his famous `wit', this film allowed his personal life to be the area of interest and it worked brilliantly.
I don't know where the setting was but the movie had a very colonial feel which heightened the British aristocracy angle.
Enjoy this film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great man - Great film ??, 29 Jan. 2009
R. Twinn (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I came to watch this film, after reading a few books on Wilde. He is a hero of mine and any chance to learn more about this great man, I'll jump at!
I was excited to see Stephen Fry protray Wilde - a role he said himself was " born to play " There is no doubt in that, he gets the look and persona down to an art.
The films flaw in my opinon, is how it jumps from Wildes tour of America, to his first homosexual encounters, all within the first 5 minutes.
I'm not denying this side of his life, it made up a huge part of who he was and was what caused his ultimate demise. I just personally didn't feel the need for so many sex scenes, in such a short space of time.
I can't fault any of the performances... Fry and Jude Law are great. Look out for a cameo from Orlando Bloom, in what must of been one of his first film roles!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Feb. 2015
Very good, Stephen Fry is excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilde's humanity is beauftifully played out, don't miss it!, 28 May 2000
This review is from: Wilde [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
I have just watched "Wilde" beautifully played out by all the epic cast. This is a film that everyone should see. Wilde comes over as a humane, kind and intelligent person caught up in those ignorant times. Your heart bleeds for him, particularly in the court room scenes, such honesty tears at the heart strings. Learn about homosexuality in this film, it's clearly not a choice. This is a classy, atmospheric film, full of Wilde's witticism's. Miss it and it's your loss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
Thanx,sorry for delay with review

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant performance, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant portrail of a tragic genius. No other actor of his generation could have performed better, I have no doubt that Fry is Wilde.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Stephen playing his hero, 4 Feb. 2014
Wilde was watchable but I could never get away from the fact that this is the huge personality that Stephen Fry is, pretending to be his hero and realizing one of his great ambitions. Therefore I have to deduce that Stephen is not a good actor, a point which he sometimes makes himself. At no point was I totally immersed in the moment and even sometimes wondered what kind of emotion was his face trying to convey!
Another actor would have raised this to a higher level so Stephen should have produced rather than starred. The greatest living Englisman should have stuck to what he is good at---- which is rather a lot of things---- but not dramatic acting. I am actually a fan of his and this was interesting because of the subject matter, great supporting cast and production values, but nothing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning masterpiece! Brilliant!, 3 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Wilde [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
Well I laughed, I cried and I thought throughout this whole film.
It shows the life of one the best play-writes ever, Oscer Wilde, from his first success to his final down-fall.
It shows the world that being gay is by no means a choice!
Stephen Fry was the perfect choice to play the confused and brilliant Oscar, and Jude Law was perfect as the arrogant and spoilt Bosie.
They love is touching, and yet by no-means perfect. They argue and fight like any other couple, with finally Oscar paying the price of love and is sent to jail for 2 years hard labour for performing "Indecent Acts" (for being gay!)
Stephen's performance was Oscar winning stuff. He really captured the essence and heart of Oscar Wilde and the torture he went through as he fell in Love with a man he knew would end up destroying him.
Beautiful, thought provoking and brilliantly acted from all sides, but Stephen and Jude really were perfectly cast!
A masterpiece!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›

Wilde [1997] [DVD]
Wilde [1997] [DVD] by Brian Gilbert (DVD - 1999)