5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the box

Published on 14 Mar. 2008 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the box, 3 April 2007
V Batty (Doncaster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nuance PaperPort 11 (PC) (CD-ROM)
To be honest I have been a fan of Paperport since about version 7. I wanted a paperfree environment and this just does exactly that. I got the new version because the old wouldn't work with Vista. Instead of a load of americanised named folders that you have to delete, this has started afresh with only the ones you either import in from a previous version or start afresh yourself. Yes it does also show your My Documents folders but that's not why I bought it. To be honest I have never needed to use the search facility as everything is nicely labelled in each folder. What I usually do is drag all the 'old year' bank statements etc on top of each other so only the current year shows on an individual basis and I've been doing that since 2001. Every letter I ever get is scanned and placed in the appropriate folder and named accordingly. Granted it probably does a lot more but I have never needed to delve any further. The new version has a nice little How To Guide. I have also just discovered that I can print an e-mail to Paperport, something that was probably there before but I'd never noticed, although I had 'printed' web pages before to a folder.

There's something very thereputic about scanning and shredding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful product but upgrading is not worthwhile, 15 Feb. 2007
I. Heath (Buckingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nuance PaperPort 11 (PC) (CD-ROM)
I have used first Pagis Pro and then Paperport 8 over the years. These programs certainly enable you to have an integrated filing system combining computer produced documents such as Word files with scanned incoming correspondence (indexed using OCR) and photos. As such it is a very useful if unexciting piece of software.

In my view the whole point of such a program is the search facility. However, this is not as well developed as you might think - there is a lot of swapping backwards and forwards to review results and intelligence conditional searches are not featured. You are just presented with a list of files containing the word(s) you are looking for. What would be much better would be a list of results ranking in matching relevance and the ability to tailor searches. This product has now been through many iterations and yet it still doesn't have these features. Come on Scansoft - what are you doing?

I was unable to try the Paperport Watson search engine as it doesn't work if you have MS Office 2000 products installed - what a howler!

So take my advice - if you have version 8 don't bother upgrading and if you need this product and can find version 8 at a discount or cheaper secondhand don't bother with the new version.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forget about the index function in PaperPort, 14 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Nuance PaperPort 11 (PC) (CD-ROM)
PaperPort 11 is excellent as a filing system, but its indexing function is slow and frequently crashes. Instead, use Copernic Desktop Search 2 and fine tune it so that only PaperPort folders are indexed. This search engine is free for home users and produces almost instant results! Furthermore, its indexing proceeds rapidly when your computer is idle. Unlike PaperPort's primitive indexing, it only looks for new additions.

The combination of these two programmes produces the perfect answer for anyone who needs to quickly find data residing amongst thousands of scanned files, pfd files, word documents, etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not install under Windows Vista, 25 Feb. 2009
Big Bad Bill "Big Bad Bill" (Somwhere on the Celtic Fringe) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can not comment on how well this package controls your scanner, scans, organises scanned documents etc because it fails at the first hurdle. I tried installing it on my PC which exceeds the minimum requirements stated on the products box by a large margin and is running Windows Vista Enterprise Edition. Despite the PaperPort box sporting a sticker stating that it works with Windows Vista when I tried installing it (which I did several times) the installation fails very quickly producing the following error message - 1607: Unable to Install Installshield Scripting Runtime.

Sadly it seems to be increasingly common that software is released that proves to be very difficult to get to actually install as is easily seen in many many reviews for a wide range of packages here on the Amazon website.

My PC is fully functional (proper intel CPU and Graphics made by worlds largest PC manufacturer), has nothing weird installed as it is my office PC. Beyond Windows Vista all that is installed in Office 2007, Adobe Photoshop, CorelDraw X4 and Serif Desktop Publishing Suite 2009 and the latest version of the Firefox browser (all of which had no problem installing on my system). For security I have Nortan anitvirus and Spybot Search & Destroy - again very common internet security programmes. So I can see no reason why a software package should have any problem installing unless it is at fault! I tried to get technical help but ScanSoft charges for this!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy PaperPort for Vista, 2 Mar. 2009
Gerald D. Lawson (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nuance PaperPort 11 (PC) (CD-ROM)
This was a great disappointment. I had run versions 7 and 9 earlier with Windows XP with little trouble. Trying to reinstall v9 on Vista was prompted by a warning showing compatibility problems. So I forked out for the latest version 11.

All seemed fine for 3 weeks then images were over written with a 'watermark' saying a trial period had expired. I could not belive that when I had purchased the software.

Nuance gave me detailed instructions which entailed a complete re-installation of Vista. This did not solve the problem and after a further period the dreaded watermark reappeared.

Having used PaperPort for several years I had saved numerous documents in the software's native MAX format. Version 11 refuses to open these and totally freezes the computer from which there is no alternative but to manually switch off.

Nuance say that such files are not compatible with version 11. What's the point of updating software if it doesn't work.

Do Not Buy this software.

G. Lawson

2.0 out of 5 stars And why do I need this....?, 30 May 2009
Mark R. Bannister (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
PaperPort was a product I wanted to take a look at because I wasn't sure exactly what it was or how it would help me. Would it really revolutionise the way I work, or was it just fluff that would turn out to be nothing more than an annoyance?

Put simply, PaperPort is a product that controls your scanner and organises your documents. However, there is nothing particularly special or unique about what it does. If you already have scanner software (and let's face it - anyone who has bought a scanner will have some software that came with it) and if you already keep your folders in some sort of order (in my case Invoices, Receipts, Timesheets, Clients etc.) then PaperPort is really quite redundant. I suppose having paid money for a product like this, one could argue that you now have the incentive to organise your documents! But is that a good enough reason to buy it in the first place?

The only possible feature it had that might have proved useful was a search engine. Powered by Verity, a trusted name in this arena, this sounded promising. However, it failed at the first hurdle because although it was able to index my documents (including PDFs), it was not clever enough to handle basic intelligent queries. For example, it was unable to find 'Invoice 12' for me, because although my invoices had the word 'Invoice' in them and the word '12' they were not adjacent in the document. PaperPort provides no mechanism to help the search engine learn what 'Invoice 12' means, there is no way of teaching it. A search for invoices with 'Invoice' and '12' in the document of course comes back with every invoice (if my bank account number or sortcode has a 12 in it). So it's not very helpful.

Although it is mildly useful that folders from different locations can be made accessible in one organised view, this isn't enough to make the software indispensible. I also found it annoying that PaperPort leaves files strewn in any directory which was imported, rather than having a single place to store its index files. This leaves a bigger clean up operation for me after I uninstall it, which there is no doubt I will be doing.

Overall, quite disappointing. I'm afraid there is no substitute for just being organised yourself. You can't expect your computer to organise your life for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's time to get organised, 24 Feb. 2009
A Smile and a Wave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This software appealed to me as someone who always feels like he should take more steps to get organised, but always seems to have a desk covered with notes, letters, bills, receipts and instruction manuals. The idea of Paperport is that you can easily convert all of this into digital files and store them in a useable fashion on your computer and so remove the clutter. Did it work?
I installed the software and activated it very easily - nothing complicated there. It has a handy window which appears when you open the program and offers help to do various things, and then the main Paperport page opens displaying your documents. You can choose how to display them but I liked the thumbnail images for easy identification. It's all laid out nicely enough and isn't over facing as some programs can be. Some of the buttons are easily figured out and others less so, but the package is fairly intuitive overall. I managed to scan a good number of letters and other documents and then turn them into useful pdf files very easily and in quite a short time. The files can then be left in Paperport or moved elsewhere, including email - basically whatever you want.
There's more to it than this if you want to get serious about it but even with this basic usage I have to say that I'm impressed with Paperport 11.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paperport 11 Review, 24 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Nuance PaperPort 11 (PC) (CD-ROM)
This software was recommended and for me is a thing I cant do without. I scan virtually everything and it allows me to keep copies of all my paperwork in organised folders. I can keep copies and eventually destroy unncessary paperwork.

Great recommended software. Can take time to scan which is the only drawback

5.0 out of 5 stars Protects you from the file deluge, 16 April 2009
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's extremely easy to let your hard drive become completely cluttered with documents (and just as easy to let your living room become cluttered with letters, official papers and such like). Paperport addresses both issues, allowing you to scan in everything of importance in your life, and cleverly indexing it so you can search it by keyword / contained words. Perfect for locating receipts, invoices and so on, which would have remained lost in the paper / document mess beforehand. An excellent utility which is worth the price tag for the organising effect it can have on your life! Wholeheartedly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great program to make the lazy paper keeper start being organised, 5 Oct. 2009
Jimbo "Jimbo L" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have, as probably most people do, a mountain of paperwork at home that is sat in numerous files and folders in what constitutes my office (or paper mountain as the missus calls it). Now I do have a scanner, but have never considered first of all scanning all those documents and secondly spending the time sorting them out. So, after an ultimatum from the aforementioned missus, I decided it was time to do something about it.
Paperport, as well as help with scanning the docs, also indexes them to make them more manageable. Now I know most people are organinsed but I am one of the 'untidy' computer users so this was a great little utility for me. However, as others have stated, if you are already organised then this is really no use. But for people like myself it is an invaluable program.

Nuance PaperPort 11 (PC)
Nuance PaperPort 11 (PC) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Windows 2000 / XP)
Out of stock