Excite Truck (Wii)
Price:£18.99+£2.03shipping

on 19 February 2007
I wasn't going to buy Excite Truck, as I thought £[...] was a bit much to ask for a game that hadn't received any great review scores and that was the way it was going to stay, at least until it was reduced in price.

That all lasted until I happened to be doing my weekly shop in Asda, and saw it on sale for £27.77 - I snapped it up in an instant and haven't looked back since. The game is brilliant, fast, fun and everything a new console needs to draw in customers.

Its downside is it lacks any kind of online'ness - although, so does every other current Wii game - we're lead to believe that this will change very soon, with the release of Metroid Prime 3.

Make sure you have a SD card with your favourite Mp3's loaded on it, as the game has a setting to play them - The guitar music within Excite Truck starts to grate your ears and thats even before you've completed the tutorials - I recommend your favourite Prodigy track, to best enjoy the game.
on 13 March 2007
I don't know why but Excite Truck caught my eye right from the launch of the Wii and I wasn't disappointed when it was finally released in the UK. I love the speed of the game, its so fast and I love racing to get loads of stars! The graphics are great and some people have said it doesn't have longevity but I haven't unlocked everything yet and I have had the game since release day! The multiplayer is ok but I find in more satisfying to play on my own, I think its beacause of the pace of the racing it doesn't benefit from a split screen. The only thing I feel it misses is an option where you can go into an arena and smash up other trucks, like Destruction Derby!! You can use an SD card to play your own music in the game but my fluffy pop music doesn't really go with the game! Buy it you won't regret it!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Let's get this out of the way; I don't like racing games. I hate that in the arcade you have a stupid timer and checkpoint mode that eats up your coins like PacMan on a binge, I hate all these "Need for Speed"-type games where you customise everything from the leather trim to the gear knob on some suped up road car and zoom around a photo realistic Paris, and I'm not a big fan of Nascar.

Excite Truck, however, I love. First of all, this is a really fast, really visceral game that allows you to do some great tricks really easily. Much like the rebooted Prince of Persia games, you'll find yourself going "wow, did I really just do that?" as you do a huge jump off the top of a mountain, spin your truck round 720 degrees, and then land with all 4 tyres on the floor at once for another turbo boost. It encourages you to smash into your opponents, to dodge through shortcuts, and to go very very fast through some totally made-up scenarios (hopping over icebergs anybody?).

But here's the thing: Nintendo have realised that when people play racing games they don't just sit there like statues. When they want to steer right, their whole body leans right. When they really need to jump just a little bit further, they tilt the control back and grit their teeth. And this is where the Wii shines. They've perfected the mapping of the Wii controller to how your body wants to play this game. Totally disregarding all laws of physics, if you lean back on Excite Truck, your truck leans back. You steer by tilting the controller like a steering wheel and the harder you tilt, the harder the steering lock. Other than that there are only two buttons, an accelerator and a turbo.

You won't be needing the brake.

Gaming. Perfection.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 April 2007
This is a great game. I don't normally get hooked on console / PC games, but Excite Truck hits all the right buttons for me. About the right level of difficulty. Great fun, particularly the truck smashes. As you progress through the races new trucks are unlocked, each having unique driving characteristics (different levels of speed, turbo, grip, air, handling), making it interesting to see which car can score highest for a given track.

I've read some criticism of the music in the game, but I reckon this is OK and, anyway, it's easy to use your own MP3 tracks via the Wii's SD card slot. For me, this feature is a big plus for the game.

Unlocking the "super excite" levels requires that you achieve "S" grade in all the tracks. This sounds a chore, but I found it to be a natural next phase in the game. One or two of the tracks (e.g. Platinum Canada) were hard to get "S" grade, but this really just made me want to come back for more. If you really get stuck, just go back to some of the completed tracks and lat off some steam! I find the Mexico, Finland and Fiji tracks most satisfying!

The game has a lot of playability and does not get boring. Some reviewers say the game's only good for a few hours play, but I must have played it for at least 20 hours and there's still more to do.

In case you're wondering, I'm 40+ years old and my son is 9. We both love the game. In fact, it's great fun just watching the other player racing. There's quite a sense of competition to see who can get the best scores and unlock new cars and paint jobs.

Overall, highly recommended!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Most of the reviews out on amazon already say the basic idea of the game, so im gonna cut to the chase.
If you like fast, easy to pick up and play racing games then this is for you. The trucks handle well, and my only slight niggle with it is that tilting the control too far in one direction makes the truck turn the other way, and this is quite easy to do when getting a bit over excited playing!!!
Graphics are actually pretty amazing for the Wii, with the speed being portrayed very well, and scenery whizzing past more effectivly than many of the burnout games. And talking of burnout if you liked any of those games then this is definatly for you, the 'burnout' bar is replaced with the boost bar (and the 'overheat' adds an extra skill level). The trucks crash into the trees and you can earn a boost after this by tapping '2'.

One problem i have found is that crashing into trees is far too commonplace and can stop the flow of the game, but the open lakes and long straights more than make up for this. I particularly love the way you can change the shape of the landscape and track by driving through an '!'. Again this adds to the games fun level.

All in all a brilliant game, very easy to control (family who havent played since the SNES were having great fun on it), and getting those 'S' ranks will prove hard. If you can get it for £[...] like i did then its definatly worth it (try ebay/amazon market place.)

PS. Would just like to say that other reviews have said that its life span is too short. Not true. This game plays like an arcade game, and so you could easily keep coming back for more even once everything has been completed. I know I will.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Excite Truck isn't the first racing game on the Wii, but looking at the other options available, it doesn't have much in the way of competition. With this in mind, my hopes for a decent racing game were hanging on this title, it had a lot to live up to.

The game is a sort of unofficial sequel to Excitebike and Excitebike 64, though like a distant cousin twice removed, it bears little resemblance to these games. It doesn't bear much resemblance to standard racers either, it's not a simulation and it doesn't rely on you getting first place in order to win gold.

So what does it involve? Well, the general idea is to race around a track with huge natural ramped areas, doing `stunts' such as jumping as high as you can, smashing into trees and other cars and powersliding around corners. You get stars for this, used to unlock the next course and icons will appear on the track which will either change (morph) the landscape to create even bigger jumps. It's these jumps that really make the game stand out. A lot of your time on track will be spent in the air as you attempt to steer your truck through the sky towards the fast incoming ground below ready for the next turn.

Graphically, the game is quite well detailed when compared to other Wii games, I'd say it sits somewhere next to a more detailed Xbox game with some incredible draw distances and great speed effects. The hills, snow capped mountains and sun glare are all beautifully displayed, not that you'll notice them if you're racing through the level at break-neck speed!

The main game is pretty easy to complete on the standard level. The Challenge mode lets you try out your skills by giving you tasks such as driving through a set number of markers or flying through rings. Multiplayer is a bit of a letdown, in that it only allows you to race against one other player and no AI cars, which leaves it a bit of a hollow experience, but still worth a go.

Overall, despite the longevity of the game, Excite Truck does what you'd expect, it provides some great adrenaline filled races that'll turn your knuckles white and its also a great pick up and play game. It's the best racer by far on the Wii and worth a purchase if you like your racing games fast.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
First off, I am not a gaming expert. The Wii is the first game console I have ever bought, and Excite Truck is therefore one of the first console games I have ever purchased. In fact my total game playing experience on any platform is limited to mucking around on a Sinclair Spectrum back in the early 80's (showing my age there), the odd go on friends' consoles and a liking for the odd game of Civilisation.

This limited experience means that I'm not going to be able to compare Excite Truck with other games in terms of playability or graphics. All I will be able to do is tell you what I thought of it as a playing experience.

The answer is, as the review title suggests, FUN! This is not a game aimed at rocket scientists or those with a love of problem solving. This is a game about driving fast, crashing and doing big jump and it provides ample opportunities for all three and more.

It makes good use of the Wii remote (even a non-gamer like I can handle the controls), giving players a truely interactive interface with the action on screen. It has a good multiplayer function so adults like I can get be whipped by members of the younger generation. The graphics are solid (based on my limited experience) and do the job required of them. There are enough levels requiring increasing amounts of skill to make sure the game remains a challenge.

Sure, the whole 'racing around a predetermined course at speed' thing is by definition a little bit repetitive (although the different courses each pose their own challenges) and I usually find that short doses of play are fine (except when playing in two player mode where natural competitiveness usually takes over). I also find the built in music somehwat annoying (again possibly a sign of my age) and I haven't really got the inclination to load my own tracks onto an SD card to use with the game.

Those are minor niggles however, and overall I would recommend Excite Truck to pretty much anyone with a Wii. I'm sure it doesn't break any new ground in term of game design and that hardened gamers be able to list a myriad of 'better' racing games out there, but if all you want is something simple, exciting and most importantly FUN, then this game will tick all the relevant boxes
on 19 February 2007
I really enjoy this game, bought it on Saturday and played all weekend. The game is extremely fast paced.

WARNING, it's not going to bring you days and days of fun though, it looks like to get all the unlocks you can do it in 3 days, after everything is unlocked the only thing you can do is race on the same courses over and over to try and beat your best time. Don't let this put you off as it's a damn fine game.
on 17 October 2007
Excite Truck is at present the best racer on Wii. This is due to the fact that the controls work so well, and also partly because it allows you do drive monster trucks over huge trucks and through dense forests while smashing the crap out of your opposition at ever opportunity!

Unlike traditional racing games, to win a race at Excite truck you have to accumulate the most points in a race. This means driving the most outlandishly and dangerously normally wins you the race, still there is a certain amount of skill to Excite Truck as winning gets you a stack of points which are added to your total. This system works well and can see races turning at the last minute - either to your relief or frustration.

The single player is perhaps the highlight of the game as sadly multiplayer races are only 2 player, and don't allow you to race with an opposition. This sucks some of the fun out of the game as like i said - super smashing your rivals is a great part of the game.

Theres a huge array of different trucks to drive and paint jobs to unlock. The trucks improve as you get better grades in races, meaning that you have to repeat races quite a few times to get full grades as to unlock all the trucks. This is one of those satisfying/annoying kind of things that you may feel like doing. I felt the game got a bit samey when i had to start repeating races, and the inclusion of "reverse tracks" isnt too original.

To sum things up, if you can pick this game up for a relatively cheap price its a lot of fun, and it'l definitely help acclimatise you with the Wii's motion sensing, perhaps in preparation for other racing games in the future.
on 26 May 2007
I really do struggle to understand the relatively poor reviews excite truck has recieved in the gaming press. Yes there are a limited number of courses and yes it isnt incredibly difficult but that shouldn't detract anyone, especially now that the game can be purchased at budget prices.

Of the Wii games i have played, Excite truck undoubtedly is one of the best utilising the sensor on the wii remote, with the majority of actions carried out with movement of the remote rather than buttons. The action is fast, and the points scoring system makes it a unique racer. Admittedly it can become infuriating winning by some distance and not recieving the required score but ultimately "them the rules my friend" as an illiterate man once said, and you subsequently must learn to drive in a more daring manner via super slides and tree runs.

2 player mode is amazing, its a shame there is no online capability but this disappointment is partially offset by the option to load your own songs via the SD card - ultimately ridding you of the terrible music that exists in this and most other games!

all in all excellent value, and even when completed comes out whenever we are having some drinks before going out - in my mind the beauty of the wii in general.