4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Amusing
Published on 6 Mar 2008 by Mama Anna

"American Dreamz" seems to have all the ingredients to be a great satirical comedy but I thought that the result was less than the sum of its parts.

Published on 18 Nov 2011 by haunted

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Has all the ingredients to be a good comedy but doesn't deliver, 18 Nov 2011
This review is from: American Dreamz [DVD] (DVD)

There is good cast, including talented actors such as Hugh Grant, Dennis Quaid and Mandy Moore. The premise is also good - a satirical look at both TV talent shows and politics. However it just doesn't have enough laughs to deliver on its promise.

The movie is about a show like Pop Idol or the X Factor. The shows producers and its jaded presenter, played by Grant, are desperate to keep ratings high and so handpick the contestants they want to be in the final
One of these is played by Moore. She appears as an All-american girl next door but will do ANYTHING to win. By accident, Omer, an Arab staying with cousins in the US is also picked. He also happens to be a sleeper agent for an Islamic terrorist group.

The other thread to the movie is about the US President, played by Dennis Quaid. He is depressed and refuses to go out in public but is persuaded by his Chief of Staff (Willem Dafoe) to increase his popularity by going on the shows finale as a judge.

Perhaps it is the presence of two radically different storylines that leads to the movie struggling unsuccessfully to be funny. There are too many characters that we have to keep track of. A potentially interesting storyline about the relationship between the Grant's character and Moore's, one more self obsessed than the other, is not explored fully as the movies rushes to a chaotic and unsatisfying climax.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Amusing, 6 Mar 2008
This review is from: American Dreamz [DVD] (DVD)
I am not a big fan of Hugh Grant and so that fact, together with the bad reviews this film got, meant I did not go to see it at the cinema. However I am so glad I got it on DVD. Maybe it's just my sense of humour, maybe it's because I have enjoyed The X Factor, but I found this parody of the t.v. show funny from start to finish. I was almost on the edge of my seat wondering if the bumbling terrorist who, by complete fluke, ends up in the competition will manage to assasinate the President. The final scenes, even while dealing with tragedy, manage to be hilarious too. I can see from other reviews that it doesn't appeal to everyone's sense of humour so I can't guarantee you will like it but I can only say that I found it very entertaining and wished the film had been longer as it seemed over far too quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Daft but funny satire on American Idol, 5 Sep 2006
Mr. Stephen Kennedy "skenn1701a" (Doha, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: American Dreamz [DVD] (DVD)
I have to confess I enjoyed this - but it's quite a guilty pleasure, as it's hard to find the merit in it.. Everyone seems to be trying hard to lampoon real life. Dennis Quaid IS Pres Bush... Willem Defoe IS Dick Cheney... Hugh Grant IS Simon Cowell... and the humour is mostly found in recognising the lampooning that is going on. However the potential for biting satire is largely thrown away... it's still there, but not so biting (Defoe, at a press conference describes the recent visit from the Russian premier - `The president and Mr. Putin had a nice talk. The president considers him a close friend, while of course deeply mistrusting his undemocratic tendencies.'). This makes for a movie where the characters are for the most part either stupid or unlikable - mostly both.

And yet, when the ingredients are put together and we have a talent show with a failed Arab terrorist who just wants to sing, a budding starlet who will do anything to be famous (even her name is `Kandoo') and the MC is one of the most loathable and self loathing characters in years - the end result is amusing, and even in some cases surprising. But the reliance on current issues means that a year or more from now this movie is already going to look dated..

Think twice before buying, but rent it for a chuckle if you like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Sick!, 12 July 2007
This review is from: American Dreamz [DVD] (DVD)
I found this film wonderfully critical of everything that is Pop Idol, Simon Cowell, George Bush and America in general - although that may explain why the Americans weren't so keen!
The film is a clear spoof about reality TV shows and American values, and had me laughing all the way through.
I think that if you're looking for some sort of meaningful plot-line, or are not into irony, then this film might not be for you. However, if you hate Simon Cowell, think George Bush is the worst thing since "Steps" and don't take anything too seriously, then you will probably enjoy this film as much as I did!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss satire......., 1 April 2007
This review is from: American Dreamz [DVD] (DVD)
American Dreamz heart is in the right place, and tongue firmly in cheek. You've gotta give props to any film that tries to combine lampooning reality television, with commentary on the Middle East, the society we are becoming, and the interesting take that President Bush is misunderstood....

Overall, I liked it. I agree it is uneven, and sometimes laughs are slow coming, but the final 20 minutes is very funny. I disagree the plot was hard to follow, its pretty straightforward if you ask me. Satire is meant to be both funny, and slightly uncomfortable, and this does that. Worth a watch, but not a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and hilarious, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: American Dreamz [DVD] (DVD)
I liked this film enormously - from the beginning, where the loveable terrorist dances to American musicals,
to the end where the chat-show host meets his well-deserved end, everything was splendidly ridiculous and I have
laughed my way through it over and over again

4.0 out of 5 stars HUGH GRANT, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: American Dreamz [DVD] (DVD)
Quite a good film, it has Hugh Grant in it so i am very happy. Worth giving it a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great comedy in parody to reality singing show like x factor & american idol !, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: American Dreamz [DVD] (DVD)
I only caught this movie a while back but I found it funny from beginning to end
Hugh grant plays a character which would remind you of a certain reality show judge simon cowell ! Great movie & also dennis quaid & mandy moore are excellent in this as well
Great for a laugh & highly enjoyable !

1.0 out of 5 stars American Dreamz, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: American Dreamz [DVD] (DVD)
WIERD film. A bit disturbing. Not funny at all. Not even a happy ending. (Sorry if I've ruined it for anyone!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Dennis Quaid saves the film, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: American Dreamz [DVD] (DVD)
The film is not the best but is livened up and made amusing by Dennis Quaid. He took what could have been a total wash and injected some life into it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

American Dreamz  [DVD]
American Dreamz [DVD] by John Cho (DVD - 2010)
1.75