Where's Neil When You Need Him?
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£11.92+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 28 September 2006
"Where's Neil when you need him?" comprises seventeen tracks inspired by the works of Neil Gaiman, written and performed by seventeen musicians and groups including Tori Amos.

None of the musicians apart from Tori were familiar to me before I bought the album: but the chance I took paid off enormously.

The music is varied, strange and often magical : ranging from the chilling "Vandemar" in doom laden German, to the beautiful and sad "Raven Star" based on the end of "Stardust"

So far (Sixth consequtive listen to the whole album) my favourites are "Wake the White Queen" a Mirrormask song by The Cruxshadows, and Schandmaul's "Magda Treadgold's Marchen" : a German (again) Celtic folk rock take on the dark fairy tale from "The Kindly Ones".

These tracks are all interesting at least, some of them are great, and if you are a Gaiman completist this CD is essential.

Neil has provided an introduction and notes, and the CD art in the copious booklet is original stuff from Dave McKean.

Great! (The CD only misses 5 stars because there may be a bit too much diversity of stle for some listeners)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again