5.0 out of 5 stars Everything left to gain!
Published on 20 April 2006 by The Truth

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my thing
Not my thing, talented guy but boring in my view. Probably not fair for me to judge on this but I will give him 2 stars for voice and effort.
Published 3 months ago by Mr. C. PERRY

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything left to gain!, 20 April 2006
I got sent a CD of Mat Kearney's EP "Chicago" when ordering a Mason Jennings album from awarestore. His fusion of rap/hip-hop with pop/folk was something I hadn't heard before. The nearest would be Beck or G-Love, but Mat sounds more like Chris Martin than anyone else. This is a fanatastic album full of songs that both tear at your heart and lift you up when you're down - far better than I expected when I'd heard the EP. I can't really express just how good this is and it gets better with every listen.

After a bit of research it seems Mat Kearney's inspiration is drawn from his Christian beliefs. This, however, is irrelevant to the music he writes, as much as various Christian websites seem to want to overstate the connection. These are simply powerful songs which, lyrically, are open to the listener's own interpretation and no agenda is forced on you. There is no singing of "Jesus is great" or any cliched "Christian Rock" - Religion has very little meaning to me personally but this doesn't reflect in any way on this album that is more about love than the object of that love.

Buy it, trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars One Lucky Find, 30 Jun 2006
BillyG (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
I live in England and just happened to be in Virgin Records in San Francisco in April 2006 when they happened to have 'All I Need' blaring out over their multi-speaker system. Stopped browsing and had to listen. The music and the lyrics of this particular track grabbed me straight away, so I asked a female assistant who it was. She showed me the cover. Mat Kearney?? Never heard of him. Bought it anyway and it turned out to be one of the best music buys in recent years. The more you listen, the more another track will jump out at you and eventually you won't be able to decide which is your favourite. He mixes rap, hip-hop, pop into a style which is all his own. The last singer/songwriter to do this for me was Damien Rice with 'O' and yet their styles are very different. Don't let the sample tracks fool you. This is an excellent album. One lucky find for me being in the right place at the right time.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent album!!!, 31 Jan 2008
this is by far one of the best (if not the best) albums i've heard in a looong time, i'll give you a short review and rating of each song -

Undeniable - 9/10, cool and catchy!

Nothing Left To Lose - 10/10, currently my no. 1 most listened to song on my ipod.

Crashing Down - 10/10, excellent beat, reminds me of 'In My Place' by Coldplay for some reason.

Girl America - 10/10, awesome lyrics and a very catchy song.

In The Middle - 9/10, Coldplay-esque, but still very good.

Can't Break Her Fall - 8/10, has a nice story behind it, of not being able to save someone and letting them go.

What's A Boy To - 10/10, beautiful acoustic piece

Wait - 9/10, in my opinion he sounds more like Chris Martin in this one than the others, great, great song

Bullet 9/10, awesome song about 'ultimate love'.

All I Need - 10/10, my favourite track on this album and possibly ever, it is the most beautiful song and will grab your attention straight away.

Renaissance - 8/10 - another great story being told in this one, its what I like most about it.

Where We Gonna Go From Here - 10/10, amazing, amazing, amazing acoustic song.

Won't Back Down - 8/10, great semi-ending, piano-driven ballad inspired by Johnny Cash.

Breathe In Breathe Out - 10/10, This song is on the re-released version of the album, and is the new Grey's Anatomy song, great ballad and should be a massive radio hit.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit different......., 26 Sep 2007
Kelly Richardson "Kels" (St Albans) - See all my reviews
I first heard Mat Kearney when I was on business in the US. One of his songs was the soundtrack to the trailer of CSI Miami I think. I guessed what the title of the song was and googled it and found Mat Kearney. I bought the album on a whim and I was really pleased I did..... I've not seen anything of him in UK yet but if you like Coldplay et al then it's worth buying the album! Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my thing, 17 Sep 2014
Mr. C. PERRY - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: Nothing Left To Lose (Audio CD)
Love this,great album

4.0 out of 5 stars A good album, 6 Sep 2006
This is a good album but it is a shame half the songs are from his other album bullet.

Nothing Left To Lose
Nothing Left To Lose by Mat Kearney (Audio CD - 2012)