1,183 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with a Powerline
Published on 17 April 2012 by Jen

3.0 out of 5 stars I am losing faith........
After buying several of these and being pleased with the fact that they worked and were extremely cheap I am now suspicious of how robust and reliable they are. I have a wired network in the house as well as WiFi but rely on the LAN for sharing files and connecting all the desktops in various rooms to the internet.
After a storm last week the LAN went down...
Published 7 months ago by C. Wymer

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with a Powerline, 17 April 2012
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch (Personal Computers)
I purchased the switch to add extra ports behind my TV set-up. I have the TP-Link Powerline TL-PA211KIT, purchased from Amazon, which is plugged in behind my TV. I have an ethernet cable running from the Powerline to the switch and then have ethernet cables from the switch to a Freesat Box, WD Live TV and TV. It works perfectly and makes for an efficient and tidy set-up. I am very happy and would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 12 Jun. 2012
This is a wonderful item and saved me a lot of money. I bought a new internet enabled TV and a new Sky HD 1TB box. My router is in another room and to buy the suppliers' dongles to connect both boxes would have have cost about £150. Instead, I bought the TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack and this little box here (£8.65 at the time) and connected them up. And Hey! It worked first time. Saved over £100 and then I did the same thing in another room, except this time I only had to buy a TP-Link TL-PA211 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Single Pack(£21 at the time) and this again saved me over £100. Wonderful. Please note I am not a Techie - all I had to do was connect a few pieces of kit into sockets (the power sockets were all UK sockets). I would recommend this to anyone wanting to connect a TV or a sky box to to the internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars ethernet switch, 3 Jan. 2012
David Bolton (suffolk england) - See all my reviews
TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D) Plastic Case

if you are trying to connect the internet to more than one device, ie tv, surround sound etc, and you have only one ethernet cable.
then this switch is ideal, as you only need to connect all your ethernet cables to it, and the switch does the rest.
Excellent product and well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats there to say - it works so well I forgot about it !, 18 Dec. 2011
S. Barrett (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have various media devices in the lounge - TV, Foxsat HDR, Apple TV, Blu-Ray, Xbox 360 - that all need internet connection. I already had run a 20m Ethernet cable from the router to the Foxsat and really didn't want to run several more cables (having run it under the edge of the carpet and having already been spiked too many times by the gripper rods :-) ) . Bought this, plugged it in, plugged in the main Ethernet feed and then patch cables from each port to each device and hey presto connectivity all round. Works a treat - in fact so well I forgot I had it when I got the email to ask me to write a review - I think that says it all. Cheap solution to avoid multiple cable runs

3.0 out of 5 stars I am losing faith........, 30 July 2014
C. Wymer (Brittany, France) - See all my reviews
After a storm last week the LAN went down. Fortunately, the only system affected seemed to be the LAN and although the router seemed okay with the internet service running and devices connecting via WLAN, the LAN ports on my router were not illuminated. Connecting various devices confirmed the ports on the router were dead. I also noticed that the TP-Link SF1005D switch next to the router which distributes the LAN to various parts of the house was showing a light on where a cable was not connected. Okay, I keep a spare so changed router and switch. All working 100% again.
Today, I lose the LAN to one of my desktops and track the problem down to the same model TP Link switch, but one located elsewhere. Again, the switch shows a light where a port is not connected. Changed the switch and all working again.
My conclusion is that these MAY be not as reliable as other models that they make and although they work out of the box, may be more prone to damage from any voltage irregularities in the system.
None of my other equipment on the LAN was damaged in the storm, apart from the router and I have two other switches (different models - One TP Link 8 Port gigabit and one Edimax 8 Port ) which were unaffected.
I think on the face of it they are a good buy but you have to ask yourself are you buying too cheap? Okay it's only £6 but it's the hassle factor and time taken to diagnose the problem which is the true cost.
The problem with a lot of the reviews on here is that they are written soon after purchase and people write them in their warm post-purchase afterglow if it does what it says on the tin or condemn the thing outright should it fail them. There should be a facility to divide reviews into just purchased, after 6 months, 1 year etc to give a true picture of reliability and performance.
I think TP-Link are a good brand and I have other products by then which I have had for several years which have performed well but am hesitant to purchase anymore of this particular model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Little Box, 10 Dec. 2010
Mr. T. R. Manning "Thomas Manning" (Darlington UK) - See all my reviews
Firstly, a lot of reviews complain saying that it comes with a European plug, I have had no such qualms, I bought two of these and they came with a UK transformer so no problem there. It worked instantaneously, I plugged the surprisingly small unit in (its about the size of a DS lite) and it powered up in seconds and connects both my laptop and my freesat HD box to the internet. The only downside is that it has a very cheap plastic feel to it, however, given the extraordinary price this is a very minor problem. Not enough to loose a star.
What more can I say, it has five Ethernet ports so I can connect four devices to the main router from it. They all work swimmingly. Does what it says on the tin

I would recommend this to anyone, it has worked perfectly for me and if it doesn't work for you then you have only lost a negligible amount of money

^
I made that review 10 months ago and they both still work perfectly, very dependable very reliable very cheap

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but superb!, 1 May 2011
Cheap, simple and superb value for money. Don't let the plasic case deter you, as this is an excellent purchase for something that'll be "forgotten" about when in use. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - trust me, you won't need to spend any more money on something "better" than this :)

5.0 out of 5 stars super value, 4 April 2011
This was so cheap I didn't really expect too much ,but it is great.It splits my broadband in four different directions with no setting up hassle .Just plug it up and away it goes,superb little device.

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-link 8 ort switch, 10 Sept. 2011
Peter B (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Great. A good price and a product that does what it says. It is neat and small and tucks away out of site. Exactly what I wanted and much cheaper than a lot of other ethernet switches on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great AND affordable for students, 8 Dec. 2011
As a student currently in University Halls, this little beauty has enabled me to connect both my PS3 and laptop to the interent simulataneously. Sound simple? It is.

Although you need to buy ethernet cables seperately, this consistently maintains a high-speed connection, and for any other students in a similar situation to mine, this is an absolute gem. It's simple, light, effective, cheap and so far I've had no mechanical or technical mishaps. Long may this continue.

A few very small issues include a slight whirring, which can be irritating if no other sounds are present in the room. It does have a a basic, plastic feel, but considering I paid less than 7 quid for it, it certainly doesn't warrant a complaint. Finally, I suppose technically it is only possible to hook up 4 components, as one of the ports is taken up by the etherent cable connected to the router/modem. Other than that, it works superbly and suits me perfectly.

Don't pay more for similar products, as this is absolutely fine and I can't imagine anything else having any significant advantages. Superb.

Haz.