5.0 out of 5 stars I am glad i didn't go by the reviews here
San Andreas: the size, the modifications, the customizations, the hoods. What a delight that was.

They said this one was a step back. They said it was smaller. They said it wasn't as much fun. They said the driving was rubbish, that it was too realistic now. They said the missions were repetitive and boring. And I believed it for so long, I wouldn't give it a...
Published on 6 Jan 2010 by VH

1.0 out of 5 stars yawn..
I'm not a full on gamer all day after work and weekends type. But I do expect a certain amount of intrigue and attraction to a game which this clearly didn't have for me. Most games I've noticed now just aren't fun. I'm gonna dig out my old Amiga 500 and ps1. Cos I actually enjoyed games then. Maybe far cry 3 has set the bar too high for any other games. I'm yet to be...
Published 1 month ago by sheath

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A little word for the decrying fanboys., 18 July 2008
Mr. Bw Sheers - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I was at first a bit sceptical about getting this game. A lot of reviewers claimed that it was less addictive than the previous games, that the driving was terrible and the story slow. I can now quite cheerfully throw those misconceptions out of the window.
I have been playing it for about three days averaging a few hours each day and I am still not even 25% of the way through it. It is just huge there is no other way of putting it. The sheer detail that Rockstar have put into this game is staggering. From being able to look at your cash balance on ATM's to using binoculars on the beachfront you will constantly find reasons to just say 'wow'.
A fair few people claimed that this installment just wasn't as fun as the others and having owned or played nearly all the GTA games I am in a position to judge and the key word that all the critics are failing to take into account is Realism. Yes realism, that little thing that means you can't walk onto an army base and steal a tank or stand in a huge crossfire with your health very slowly decreasing or just take a jet from an airbase and fly off in it.
I love realism. The way I can see the bullet holes in the side of my car and the beautiful, living city you are immersed in. If you want ridiculous scenarios and over the top gameplay then buy San Andreas. If you want one of the most gripping and enthralling games you will ever play then buy this.
The driving is actually quite easy to handle. There is a noticeable difference in handling between vehicles and when you get used to it then it becomes really enjoyable. The gunplay is a bit stiff and the auto-targeting has an annoying habit of locking onto civilians in the middle of a shootout, there is a decent selection of guns to choose from and they all have their strengths an weaknesses.
I've played a few online matches and they were surprisingly fun. The character editor was pretty basic but the sheer joy of driving a sports car down a main street with bullets pinging off the sides and an SMG poking out of the window is unparalled.
The story is admittedly a bit slow starting but that is deceptive. Even as I write this I just took part in a huge shootout in a construction yard so make no mistake. The action does heat up.
Overall, you really should buy this game because nothing else can quite match up to it and it is a decision you will not regret.

3.0 out of 5 stars GTA IV - The realistic game that includes a huge beating heart in the statue of liberty, 21 Jun 2008
Matthew (Flitwick, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Sorry people, but I was awaiting this as much as most game lovers and this was quite a kick in the balls after playing it for 10 hours, I suddenly realised, the following was missing:

Car Modding
Tanks
Betting/Gambling
Property buying
Burlgary
Many, many weapons including, Smoke Bombs, Chainsaws, lock on Rocket Launchers's, katanas etc etc
The ability to ride trains
The RPG feeling (no more getting fat, working out etc)
The lack of clothes/changing apprenance
The 6 star rating being the Army
The ability of being able to purchase hardware, such as hammers etc
No more going into police stations

This is very very disappointing and in my opinion a huge step backwards.

Instead you are given

A mobile phone, its not really that good, you sort of get them on san andreas and vice city but on GTA 4 you get to ring people to go out and stuff, this is pretty cool, the only thing bad about this is once you have arranged to go out with someone you have about 2 minutes (a games hour) to get to them, and they can be at several places on the map so they usually end up hating you more for going out with them.

Car damage is amazing now.

The best bit is the multiplayer which is fun for a few hours, chill out and free roam with your mates, or go on online missions.

After completing the game, and it does take a long time you will be feeling depressed by either or the two endings of the storyline, lets just say you don't own the biggest mansion in the game.

Overall the game is worse than San Andreas, the graphics are better, but the game is smaller and has alot less to do, except multiplayer. Rockstars excuse of taking away the majority was that it was too unrealistic, and what, a beating heart in the statue of liberty (happiness) is not? Get out.

beating heart

3.0 out of 5 stars GTA IV - stunning, but not a huge amount of fun, 12 Jan 2009
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
GTA IV is a stunning game. For that there can be no doubt. I bought it last year and with pretty much everyone else I would say played nothing but that for the first month. I decided to put the game to one side to concentrate on other games in my collection. Months went by and GTA just stayed on the shelf. Come December 08, most of the old games had come and gone, so I got back into the game. Or at least I tried to. I was plodding away through the missions, but not having a whole lot of fun. The gameplay is good, but having played such games as Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia, I found the controls to be a little sluggish. Also, I agree with some reviewers on this site that although the cars are superbly rendered and feature an excellent damage engine, they are just so hard to drive. I found it virtually impossible to pull off a tight corner. In the end I resorted to just taking a taxi to my mission, as if I had taken a car I would no doubt killed 3 pedestrians and had as many stars on my wanted level by the time I had reached the next mission!

However having said that, I think the main problem with the game is there is no ultimate goal. Being a veteran GTA gamer from days of old, I found GTA Vice City and GTA SA to be not only stunning (For the time) but also fun to play and rewarding i.e. having something to work to. Here you are just a hired gun, knocking one person off after the other, and ultimately you start the game a hired gun and finish the game as one. Where as in GTA Vice City you got to be the big boss at the end and GTA: SA you got to control different "Hoods" and physically change the appearance of CJ the character in ways that you can't with Niko.

I just hope that Rockstar looks to readdress this imbalance in a future GTA title. It's shame because if GTA IV had "career" elements from previous titles it would have been the complete package.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as some people would have you believe...., 24 July 2008
Owain (Dyserth, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I love groundbreaking games. You know, the sort of games that are fresh and succeed into making the audience love it. GTA 4 tries to do this, to be a groundbreaking game, it's clear from the start. But have they succeeded? The answer to that is 'meh'.

Ok firstly, I'll have to mention the fantastic scripting on offer in this game. It includes probably the most clever dialog ever in a video game, as well as that, the plot is intriguing and rather gripping and it's filled with countless memorable characters. As well as that there's more swearing in this than in Gordon Ramsay's house. I think my favorite moment in GTA is when, Niko Bellic (the illegal immigrant you play as)visits his friend Patrick McReary to get a job. Patrick tells Niko the job and says:

"Now are you going to do this job, or are we going to have to kill you?"

Niko replies:

"Well, since you put it that way...."

There are plenty of smart moments in the game like this that just manage to put a grin on your face. Now enough about the fantastic scripting, how is the actual game? The quality of the game is split in two. Every aspect of the game has a good side and a downside. The gameplay has been much improved since the previous GTA games. taking cover helps, and so does the auto aim feature, but these new features haven't been polished enough to be called amazing. You see, taking cover, although very handy it might be, doesn't stop some enemies you haven't spotted from easily circling around behind you and killing you almost immediately. It's a shame really because it actually fits into the game well. As for the auto aim feature, it's much better than taking your time to aim at the enemies, but once again comes a downside, sometimes you want to aim at another guy but you can't because the auto aim feature doesn't always let you. Which kinda sucks.

As for the driving, it's also improved, but because the games taken a more realistic turn, some annoying things can happen. Say if you slam into a wall or a lampost for some reason and it happens a lot, you begin flying out of your vehicle and lose a lot of your health. It's very annoying when you're in the middle of being in a chase in a mission because if it happens once, you might as well give up because by the time you try and get another vehicle to continue the chase, the guy your chasing's already escaped. It's the most frustrating thing in any game that's ever existed.

And that leads me to the mission structure. It's poor. The fact is, the difficulty curve is unbelievable. Now I'm probably what people call a veteran gamer. I'm usually very good at playing games. And to be honest, I'm pretty damn good at GTA 4. The problem is, missions can sometimes be too easy, or way way too hard. Or sometimes it can be even worse and start relatively easy and then suddenly just attack you on an unbearable difficulty level when you least expect it. This is probably the most disappointing aspect of the game. But there are still plenty more to mention.

The friends system is unnecessary. It's boring, it's not very rewarding and it doesn't improve the already great character development. It's not essential to do it but it's just a stupid idea. You know, crime lords can still have a good time going bowling!!

I've been moaning too much about GTA 4's downsides but the truth is, it IS fatally flawed. That's the same with the graphics. Now, the graphics have lovely cinematic effects to them, but the textures are god awful. Some of the textures look as if Rockstar games copied and pasted some of the textures from Baldur's gate into GTA 4. Although lip sync is good, I can't say that the character models are very impressive. And the cutscenes can range from good to bad. Some animations seem very stiff, not that it takes away the enjoyment of the fantastic plot. As well as that, no matter what camera perspective you use, it's always slow and annoying to try and rotate the camera. But there is a lot of detail put into the game, even if not everything is pretty. The cars can sometimes make you dribble by looking so stylish and real. But it's obvious they've concentrated more on making the cars look pretty rather than some of the environments.

So after all my whining are there any other great features to GTA 4? Yeah, a couple. Multiplayer is good and has a wide variety of games. The problem with the cover system I mentioned before has been removed here because instead of having annoying AI circling around to kill you from the back, it seems that for some strange reason, it doesn't happen in multiplayer which is great. And having the whole map of Liberty City to explore with your friends is a great option. Only trouble is, my friends hate GTA 4 and prefer to go on COD, so I can't really ever see GTA's multiplayer to it's full potential. But of what I've seen, it's good.

Some of the critics reviews have been ridiculous for this game. IGN gave it a 10/10 and probably made the worst review I have EVER seen.
I might be too generous giving GTA 4 four stars, but then again it's obvious a lot of effort has been made into making this game possible. And the scripting alone deserves 4 stars anyway.

GTA 4 is art, but it's the art that's good, not the game.

3.0 out of 5 stars A step in the right direction but still lacking, 11 Jun 2008
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
First off i'll have to state something: compared to Vice City on the PS2, San Andreas was lacking for me. I was hoping for a return to form for GTA, especially after playing Saints Row and having an absolute ball of a time. Short review - it's good, but i'm still going back and playing Saints Row and Vice City over this.

Pros:

Lovely graphics - slightly sharper on the 360 however there can be clipping 'lag' in the distance. Graphics aren't a huge thrall for me, but still, the realism does come full circle when you're looking at a game as polished as GTA4.

Realistic quality - I'm gunna state right now I don't like how the cars handle. Bikes are still a mystery to me, how you're almost safer on one because crashes don't seem to be coded right for bikes. I digress. Basically it looks and feels like a real city, down to being able to knock over trash cans to seeing random trains/helicopters and even the police chasing down random crooks.

Story - The script is suberb. I think most of it comes down to the quality of the voice cast, but there's not much cheese factor unless it's for comedic value and in that case it's obviously blatent.

Friend/Cellphone system - A great addition that's been added upon from the Saints Row system. Being able to call for backup or a cab is a good idea, it's quite shocking something like this wasn't present from GTA3 onward.

Cons:

Combat - as listed below, someone has mentioned it's quite frustrating. I'll elaborate - it's a bloody mess. The auto-target feature is horrible, and the free target ability just means you sit with your finger on the trigger spraying bullets wildly. Taking cover can be buggy aswell - instead of ducking behind crates, quite often you'll find Niko sticking to a wall better than Spider-Man himself and leaving you completely open to attack from all angles. It's no Metal Gear Solid, that's for sure.

Realism - one of it's greatest strengths is also a huge flaw, in my opinion. Rockstar have created this vast open city, with winding strees and towering buildings, shops, all the stuff you'd imagine to see in a real city like New York (on which this was modelled). However in this incarnation of GTA, almost 70% of the map is purely wasted space. There are easter eggs, granted, but there aren't as many cool little additions such as masses of shops - this is something Saints Row did well, and something San Andreas did to a lesser, more useless extent. Having a huge island may well be awe inspiring, but is it practical in a game such as GTA? Do I really want to have to drive for about 10 real minutes to get from one side of the map to the other? Do I need that level of immersion?

Friends System - quite frankly, a mission where i'm forced to date a girl isn't a mission. That's "The Sims". I could do without it, and I didn't particularly like it in San Andreas - however at least I wasn't PENALISED for not playing redundant minigames with NPC friends.

Short and sweet - it's a nice game. Like Halo 3 before it, the majority of it's selling power is hype, plain and simple. Does it deserve the title of best game ever? No, not by a long shot. GTA4 while being a competant and semi-enticing RPGSim (I'm calling it an RPG because unlike the early versions of GTA up to maybe Vice, you are on a track exploring Niko. You're not a faceless, quite man of your own choosing), is nowhere near what it should be. I can only summise that the development team felt they could make more money in the long run by adding new cars, weapons, shops and features as downloadable content (a deal was sealed between Xbox Live and Rockstar for a lot of exclusive content), which is quite a shame. I remember a time when a game gave you as much as it possibly could from the word go, and didn't drift along lazily waiting for content additions over the next 18 months. Sadly that seems to be a recurring trend with games in general now and is not limited to GTA4.

Bottom line - you'll be amazed for the first hour or so. You'll really enjoy it for the next week. Give it 2 weeks and it'll be easily forgotten about, unless you're a completionist who really can't stand not unlocking all the achievements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back GTA!, 3 May 2008
J. Hunt "richrich118" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have only had GTA IV for a day and I must say so far I think it great!

The graphics are good quality, from shadows to human faces. Stealing cars is alot more realistic, as now it is possible to break ito cars even if locked, and some old cars dont start first time.

As usual there are plenty of things to do whilst roaming including going to strip clubs, going drinking, having tours of Liberty City by taxi and helicopters, going bowling, and much more (I havn't played enough to discover all attractions and such. You can go on dates with your girlfriend, or call one of your friends for a night out or even to arrange a mission.

The first few missions, as with previous Grand Theft Auto games and quite basic and designed to get you used to the controls of weaponary and cars. These missions remain fun as they get harder and more intense.

Alot of people are criticising the handling of vehicles. I agree with the fact they are trickier to handle than cars in previous editions of GTA, however once you get used the controls you will value how realistic the driving feels.

A few other minor improvements from the previous GTA editions, are things like being hit by cars and flying through the windscreen when hitting an object at high speed, also there is a huge variety of pedestrians on the streets and you rarely see the same person twice!. Just small things give a more realistic feel to the game.

Overall, this is a great game which in my opinion has lived up to the hype. I havnt tried the multiplayer mode yet, which I know is a huge part of GTA IV, however from what I have seen, heard and played, Grand Theft Auto IV is a must have!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great in many ways but so repetive and just not that much fun!, 8 Jun 2009
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
When I first got this game I was amazed by the graphics, the feeling and atmosphere of the city and the fun of the game play. I had been excited about the game for a long time and felt that it had been justified. Unfortunately after a lot of messing about I wanted to progress in the game and so got down to the nitty gritty of the missions, this is when I got bored and very quickly. The missions are the same over and over, drive here, kill this guy,blah blah. I haven't touched it in months and I think that says a lot, it just simply falls short on the level of fun it offers in the core game. It is not a patch on San Andreas which I think is the pinnacle of the series. It suffers from trying to take itself more seriously and be more gritty, which is not a criticism I though i would give but in retrospect I think it does suffer because of that. I got quite far into the game but it just felt like going through the motions and I really don't know when I will pick it up again, for a quick killing spree I probably will, but getting back into game progression is so forced it is almost chore like. The game engine is pretty sweet, I love the additions in combat like hiding behind walls and it has the best car chases of any game ever, as you would expect from GTA. I just think in the end, running through the missions can get pretty boring.

3.0 out of 5 stars GTA Duplicate, 23 Mar 2009
Mark Diamond (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I think I might be missing the point with this game, but does it or does it not represent pretty much every other GTA game?
To me they look pretty much the same, and play pretty much the same.
I have owned the last three GTA games on various platforms and am becoming bored with the same missions, the same driving sections and the same gratuitous violence.
Now i am not some thrill-killing teenager who plays only games entitled "Bopsy the Bunny" or something, I am just becoming bored with people who claim this game is an "amazing".
I agree with those people who claim that the driving is at best "clunky" but then also agree with this who said that if you spend a few minutes getting used to it it does get easier. But i just dont get how many people come back to this game series again and again and again despite it being the same game over and over again.

I know 2 things. Firstly that I have not really reviewed the game, and by no means do i expect to influence people into buying it or not, after all there are a lot of 5* reviews which put their opinions forward in a more compelling manner.
And secondly that if people read this the comments left are not going to be pretty, but it makes me laugh that in days of freedom of speech, peoples opinions are ridiculed for not conforming to the majority.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't know... I just don't know., 30 April 2008
Mr. SCM Bell "Black Cat Theory" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
The most eagerly awaited game ever? Well it's certainly up there in the top five, rubbing shoulders with the Master Chief which ever way you cut it.

Does it look amazing? Yes of course it does. More gritty and less cartoonish than it's predecessors, detail aplenty, pop-up and draw-distance problems controlled if not entirely removed, cars that look as good as a racing game, characters that look as good as a third person action game. It's all here.

It looks and feels fantastic, but...

If you've been there since the beginning there is just a tiny nagging feeling that past all the glitz and glamour, beneath all the media hype it isn't really that much of an advancement from GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas.

You see, when GTA III came along it replaced a crude but addictive top-down scroller. It took that world and used the newly minted PS2 to blast it into full 3D, defining that platform and ushering in the era of the sandbox game.

As I stare at GTA IV in 36 inches of HDMI beauty I simply don't feel quite as excited as I did when I hit the streets of Liberty City the first time. There's a tiny voice inside me that keeps saying that all the glowing reviews in the mainstream media are only written because those reviewers weren't there to see how incredible it was when the series first went 3D. Struggling to come to terms with a form of media that they neither understand nor respect, they are only written because they feel they are expected to crow about how great it is.

I try to put my finger on what exactly has disappointed me but it isn't easy. Perhaps it was the fact that Saints Row really made a feature of the car modifying thing, that San Andreas gave you a whole county to explore, perhaps I just like the playlist less this time or perhaps its just one sandbox too many?

Don't get me wrong, this still beats most games by a country mile. The voice acting is beyond reproach, as are the character models, the level design, the cell phone system. In short, it oozes quality from every pore and yet remains a bizarrely muted experience.

Of course you'll buy it. Everyone will. But twenty years from now, will we talk most fondly about this one? Or will it be one of the previous three?

2.0 out of 5 stars Spring Look not free look, 6 Nov 2008
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Am I the only one that thinks the control system is broken in this game, every other 3ps game like this now has propper freelook on the right stick. i.e. you can look in a different direction than you are walking. point the camera where you want and it will stay there. ususlly with a button to recenter if you want.
but rockstar have opted for a springlook which is a free look when stationary but springs fwd direction when you walk or drive.
this means contiually fighting the spring look if you want to look around while moving which is realy nesesary in this sort of game i.e. i want to throw a grenade walk awayand see the carnage, i want to look down side streets as i drive by no you cant you have to look fwd as we dont believe you have the skill to use propper freelook control. .result cant enjoy the wonderful city they created cant enjoy the game. stopped playing as this really frustrated me.
Another one EDGE got wrong 10 ha no way.
crackdown topped this a year ago.

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) by Rockstar (Xbox 360)