4.0 out of 5 stars No wireless mics!
Published on 8 Dec 2007 by J. Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Its BRILLIANT...but where are all the songs??
This game is fantastic - hearing myself sing on the playback option has, however, put pay to my proposed trip to next years X-Factor auditions!

My problem is I was promised the entire back catalogue of singstar songs...where are they then?

Published on 8 Dec 2007 by R. Tonks

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars No wireless mics!, 8 Dec 2007
J. Hill "padsbrother" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3) (Video Game)
I just got my copy of this today - beware if you're expecting wireless mics because the ones included in this package are wired - i.e. you should be able to use your old PS2 ones rather than shell-out for new ones. Other than that, it all looks pretty good - the Sing Store is very easy to use and utilises your PS3 'wallet' that's used for the PlayStation Store and it's very easy to browse, select and download tracks. The store does seem a little flakey at the moment - hopefully that's just teething troubles and it'll become more stable in the future.
The interface is slick and easy to use (easier than previous versions, that's for sure). The song selection is good and when you get down to the singing, well, that's up to you! Nothing much has changed on the main singing screen, just a bit of shuffling around and it seems better for that.
Right, I'm off to download "Hungry Like The Wolf"...

3.0 out of 5 stars Its BRILLIANT...but where are all the songs??, 8 Dec 2007
R. Tonks "tonks82" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3) (Video Game)

There are 30 on the disc and only 41 online. If you type "singstore" into any search engine, you will see posts advertising "hundreds" of songs available. Where are they then? To buy a song online is £0.99.

Also, I know its supposed to cater for all tastes, but some of the songs available are so out there its weird. Any one who wants to sing "One crowded hour" by Augie March will not be invited to my party!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun!!1, 4 Jun 2009
Mr. M. A. Barry (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3) (Video Game)
I'll keep this review brief as other people have written extensively about it already. This game is great fun but there are two things that people need to be aware of.
The first is that, unlike karaoke, the original artists vocals are still present. For some tracks the artists vocal can be heavily reduced by going into microphone settings and turning the vocal off. It doesn't work on all tracks however. In fact, it's fair to say it doesn't work on the majority of tracks.
The second point is to do with downloading tracks. This is great as it expands the game dramatically. I've noticed something recently that's beginning to bother me though. I downloaded 2 Ultravox tracks - Vienna and Loves Great Adventure. In both instances the entire song is there BUT some bright spark thought it was clever to edit the videos. Loves Great Adventure is one of the groups best videos and tells a story in an idiana jones style. Now, on Singstar, the video doesn't make any sense. Why they edited it is beyond me as it was granted a 'U' certificate!!! It's a minor niggle but be aware that some videos will be doctored.

Aside from the above the game is great fun and I do recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle, 23 Dec 2007
cayman (heart of darkness, central africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3) (Video Game)
Why is this game so expensive? It's supposed to be next gen but comes with wired mic's and standard def music videos. It's been delayed for six months but there are about ten times less songs to download than promised. I thought track were going to be free to those that had already purchased the PS2 version. I feel like an idjit for waiting for this game, I could've got a PS2 version with a better selection of songs for half the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars SingStar PS3, 2 Feb 2009
Mr. Roger Lawrence (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3) (Video Game)
SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3)
We had great fun with this over Christmas and it helps having the impartial verdict of the PS3 to determine who sang the best. PS3 monitors the 2 participants and shows which 1 hit the most right notes and held them for the correct length of time. I should imagine youngsters could get quite competitive with it whilst the older generation may struggle to keep up with the lyrics.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed in Singstar Next Gen, 17 Dec 2007
P. N. Trainer (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3) (Video Game)
I too ordered singstar back in june and the release was put back and put back until December (there's a surprise, just in time for xmas)! I too read the spec which stated Wireless Mics and free downloads, over 300 songs from the ps2 back catalogue and the online store wich you could download free from on the day of release.
We paid for the Microphone pack only because it was meant to be wireless Mics and we neednt have bothered (we already owned wired mics from the ps2 singstar games)and we also paid the extra money for express delivery to enable us to download free songs on the day of release. I could have saved half the price i paid as there were no wirelss mics and no free downloads.
I'm disgusted that we have all been mis informed and basically ripped off. I have bought nearly every Sinstar game to date so why do i want to pay a further 99p each to download songs I already own on my ps2 collection? I am glad to see that I'm not the only one who is dissapointed and hope Sony takes note.

One very annoyed Singstar Owner

Mrs G Trainer :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3, The Singstar Has Landed!, 7 Dec 2007
Terrapintim (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3) (Video Game)
At last my long awaited pre-order landed on my door mat this morning (7/12/07) as promised.

This edition still uses the same type of USB Mics as the previous PS2 versions (I expect wireless ones will be produced and make their way on to the market in the near future). However, this hasn't spoilt the fun and with the revised screens, interface, SingStore and Online additions it proves a must for any enthusiast and budding singer.

If you loved the previous PS2 versions, you'll love this addition to the "Family" and you'll probably buy the PS3 simply to play it (just like I did). Also, all the previous PS2 versions of Singstar work on my PS3 (60 Gb model), which is great :-)

Finally, the best and most fun song is "Pass The Dutchie" by Musical Youth - Fantastic and great for a party!

Christmas is coming, make the party go with a swing, buy the new Singstar, it's great (in my opinion).

4.0 out of 5 stars Singstar, 18 May 2009
This review is from: SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3) (Video Game)
This is a great game to get out at a party, everyone enjoyed singing along and even those that started the night saying they wern't going to sing had to be wrestled to get the microphone back off them!

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 month wait, 10 Dec 2007
This review is from: SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3) (Video Game)
After having the game on order for 6 months it finally arrived.

The game is great and looks like it will be a lot of fun over the next few weeks.

Only one issue, I thought the game was meant to come standard with the whole back log of songs from previous singstar games. I could be wrong but am sure I read that somewhere. Will now need to spend a fortune getting a decent collection from the store.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sony have lied about the available songs, 13 Dec 2007
Mr. B. J. Hunt "jedra_" (Saxilby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3) (Video Game)
First of all, this game is great fun. If you have played the original Singstar games on the PS2, it's more of the same really but prettier.

Here's the rub though...

In all of Sony's advertising they say that the whole back-catalogue of songs are available (hundreds are quoted). THIS IS A LIE! There are only actually 41 songs available to download in addition to those you get with the package (not many). Also, there is NO High Definition content, only standard definition. There are NO song packs online.

Now this is all presuming you can get online in the first place - for the last week the online servers have been down most of the time, and when they are up, it is painfully slow when downloading songs (about 5 minutes to download a song). This is compounded as the network often disconnects half-way through downloading a song.

This is not just an issue for me, the Playstation forums (official or otherwise) are full of people just like me.

All this, and not a single word from Sony apologising or explaining what the heck is going on.

Considering that this was originally penned as a launch title for the PS3 they have had plenty of time to iron out any difficulties - an absolutely shocking debacle.

Think very carefully before buying this game! If you have the old PS2 versions, they will work on the PS3 (the original 60 Gb edition, not the new 40Gb one) and you will get to sing all your current songs.

By the way, each new Standard Definition song costs 99p to download (so it will cost you just shy of £41 to download all of the 41 songs currently online) - there is no word on how much it will cost to download the back catalogue when and if they do put it online.

Buyers beware!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

SingStar Next Gen with 2 Microphones (PS3)