I have never previously played a Ratchet & Clank game before, but as soon as i saw details of what this titled promised to deliver, I knew it was a shoe-in that I would want it. My PS3 has sat proudly in my TV unit getting increasing use over the last few months, but has been longing for a real showcase of its abilities. And along came R&C.

It is worth pointing out that there is an installation glitch in this title, whereby it will claim that you have insufficient space on your hard-drive. Fear not, it's easily resolved by adding or deleting about 500MBs of content from the drive, such as a demo or a couple of movie clips you may have downloaded from the store.

Once into the game, you're presented with a fantastically details world. There is plenty going on in the background to create the illusion that you're immersed in something on a grand scale.

The controls are spot on, and the camera usually knows where to point. Only on a couple of occasions have I found it in the wrong place, which a flick of the right analogue stick will usually correct.

The utilisation of the SIXAXIS motion controls are exactly how I would want them - ie. There are parts of the game that require you to use it, but they are sensible and actually seem to benefit from that control method. Under no occasion does the motion-sensing seem contrived or tacked on.

The creativity and originality in the game is excellent, and the voice acting and script are very well done. There's some great humour in this game, which is carried off far better than most could hope.

I don't profess to be very good at this kind of game, but even with my limited skills I have done quite well so far (I think). You get a decent sense of achievement and the game encourages you to think outside the box.

There are optional side-quests for the more highly-skilled gamer to add an extra degree of challenge, but for the humble semi-casual gamer such as myself, it's an excellent gaming experience.

I fully recommend this title to anyone looking for a decent and most importantly Fun title to add to their Playstation 3 collection.
66 comments48 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2007
I recieved this game from Amazon on the Friday it was released and raced home from work as quick as I could to play it, finally a new ps3 title to play...woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd played all the other Ratchet and Clank games on the ps2 and enjoyed them all immensely so I had been looking forward to this game coming out for months and when it finally arrived I could hardly contain my excitement.
The game is just as much fun as all the others ... BUT ... it's far too easy and far too short. I recieved it on Friday and finished it on Saturday.
I'll explain more about the easy part ... every time you visit a weapons, armour or device vendor you're health is completely replenished to full which to me takes away the sense of achievement you got grom the other Ratchet and Clanks for getting through any particularly hard parts as these vendors are everywhere and if you're low on health you just have to run to the nearest one, press triangle and you're health is full again, you don't even have to buy anything. Also the map-o-matic you acquire later in the game gives you the locations of all gold bolts and leviathan souls which takes the fun out of finding things in the game, the only things you really have to search for are the holo-plans for the ryno iv and there's only 15 of them so it's not particularly taxing to do.
I have to say that as much as I was looking forward to this game I found it a huge letdown in terms of length and ease, it seems to me that the makers, Insomniac, sacrificed great gameplay for great graphics, and yes the graphics are truly spectular to look at, it's very much like playing a Pixar movie ... BUT I expect so much more from my ps3, I expect a game with great graphics and gameplay that lasts so much longer than 2 nights of gaming.
The game is still fun to be played through a 2nd or even a 3rd time so you can upgrade all your weapons and buy the mega versions and upgrade them too but all in all i'd say I was very disappointed with this game. It's just too easy and too short and I believe my ps3 is capable of so much more.
I've given this title 4 stars quite simply because it's Ratchet and Clank and I believe Insomniac can ...and must ...do better next time.
P.S The bossd battles are easy too, I finished the final boss in 2 attempts, the final boss in the 1st Ratchet and Clank took me so many attempts to finish that I lost count!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S Although the game is too easy, it is great fun to replay and try to max out all your weapons and find all the holo-plans and gold bolts, i'm finding the tornado launcher the hardest to max out, but maybe i'm just not very good with the sixaxis???????????????
on 15 November 2007
I'm a relative newcomer to the well-regarded R&C series of games. Immediately I was struck by the sheer quality of the introduction sequence (which sets the standard for later cut scenes). While we usually associate 'serious' gaming with closing the gap between video games and movies, the near-Pixar quality animation and writing on show here should be equally applauded. Insomniac, creators of Resistance: Fall of Man (a *very* different game) are the saviours of the PS3; in Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction they have created a game so good it'll make you want to have children just so you can enjoy it with them.

The 3D platforming gameplay is reminiscent of the Spyro games (not surprisingly from the same developers) as well the more recent 3D Mario games. Although in terms of running and jumping it never quite matches the unassailable genius of Mario 64, the arsenal of ludicrous weapons more than bridges the gap. The weapons border are strictly homorous, never violent as such: tornado guns, electric whips and, believe it or not, disco balls. The gameplay balance - between adventuring, blasting, plotting, puzzling and racing - is perfect. Hardened gamers may decry the lack of a real challenge, but they'll be too enraptured to care; meanwhile, younger kids will find the difficulty curve just right. Brilliant fun.
on 11 April 2008
This was the first Ratchet & Clank game i'd played and i wish i knew what i was missing. Hands down the best PS3 title out to date.

Trying to put a finger on why this game is so good is tricky, on the surface of things it's just a 3D platformer, run, jump, shoot. I think the secret to it was not trying to innovate, not trying to be the next big thing or revolutionise gameing for ever. Ratchet & Clank does the simple things well.

The gameplay just constantly puts a smile on your face, all of the weapons are great fun and there are a lot of them to collect and upgrade. It's just so easy to play and there's practically no learning curve. What did suprise me was the story, i don't know what i was expecting but needless to say i'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Ratchet & Clank just has "something" going for it that no other game on PS3 does, you will not regret buying this game.
on 12 November 2007
Although some may think this game is only for kids who can't play serious games like Gran Turismo etc., I have to say I was mightily impressed with Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction.

The graphics are awesome, really vivid and beautiful images. The environments are awesome, at the start I found myself just looking around at the city at all the things going on. Moreover I was impressed with other graphical elements such as the explosions of enemies and just how much chaos can happen on screen, maintaining its smooth frame rate and glorious visuals throughout. This is honestly like a Disney Pixar movie that you happen to be able to play through.

I have read elsewhere that there are too many elements to the game, (weapons/mini-games) however I would tend to disagree as I feel the variety here helps to ensure that you will never get bored. Sixaxis is also well used in places to add to the experience.

Similarly it has been claimed that 'the difficulty is too easy and only the last hour or so is remotely challenging.' I started playing and although it wasn't insanely difficult, that didn't stop me from falling off ledges or occasionally being owned by some of the cool enemies. This also implies that it'll only last 4 hours but I can assure you, that after a combined game time of over 12 hours my brother has only made it to level 15. (Not sure how many there are but to give you an idea, he played it from about 11pm to 9.30am this morning alone, even after our session on the day of release.)

In summary, this is a genuinely fun and involving game which I am sure that most (if not all) people will enjoy...Regardless of age!
The Ratchet & Clank franchise takes the leap to PS3 and the results are simply awesome. This is the best in the series so far and that's saying something. Laugh out loud funny (how many games can you say that about?), incredible graphics, perfect camera and completely addictive playability. Amazing new worlds to explore, pirates, dinosaurs, flying through Brazil like future cities on clanks amazing new robo wings using the Sixaxis and a great new story line with an Empire Strikes Back style ending leaving you gagging for the next game. All this plus an array of new weapons and the brilliant groove-a-tron. On my 3rd play through now and there's still loads to do and it never gets boring. All in all the best gaming experience I've had. Buy it now, you'll love it!
on 21 November 2007
As a big fan of the R&C series, I've been waiting for this and hoping that Insomniac hadn't destroyed it as a game like they did with R&C: Gladiator. I have to say, this is the best in the series so far, great storyline with a real mean (and touching) twist in the last cut scene meaning that we surely have to do it all again in a year or so. The graphics are great, the sound is brilliant throughout and as for playability, well it has everything that we were told it would have and it does it so, so well. Am now playing it through in the challenge mode which makes all the enemies tougher and gives you the chance to buy upgraded weapon at mad mad prices (5,000,000 bolts for the first mega weapon and so on) but it's just worth the effort.

All I need now is the big posh TV to play it on!

The PS3 has needed this to bring it to life properly, bought mine on release day and apart from a few release day games this is the first game I have bought, made me glad that I bought it now and can't wait for the other programmers out there to sort themselves out.

OK, back to it then, Captain Slag wants some more......

:o)
on 17 September 2014
STORY
Ratchet and Clank receive a distress call from their buddy Captain Qwark, which they immediately respond to. They find that a large army of robotic commandos, led by Emperor Tachyon, crown prince of the Cragmites. Tachyon is on a mission to annihilate Ratchet, but the furry hero has a trick or two up his sleeve to keep him a step ahead of the chase.

The chemistry between Ratchet and Clank is undeniably strong, they are a joy to watch and laugh along to. The story is just pure sci fi overload, but it is fantastic fun. Wormholes to other dimensions, interplanetary travel and ancient technology are all cooked up. The dialogue is very sharp between the heroes, the script provides bags of comedy.

GRAPHICS & SOUND
R & C`s art direction is wonderfully vibrant and oozes colour. You should think of it as an episode of Futurama, but the colour palette used in this game ranges across endless shades and tones. Level designs may seem linear to begin with, as you progress the different planets they open up and their navigation can take a greater free roam approach. The diversity of the environments is one of the game's strongest features, the developers want to keep showing you something new as you travel the galaxy and meet many other wonderful life forms. You will also venture to lava planets, deserted mountain areas, ancient jungles and many more places.

You won't just venture onto planets, traveling across the galaxy will involve blasting through dangerous passages of space. Ratchet and Clank have received their coat of HD polish and I must compliment their detailed designs and excellent animations. The weapons are also detailed and every single one is distinguishable from another. Sound design is excellent, it's important that environments feel alive and this game certainly delivers on that aspect. The voice acting is very good, completely over the top and full of enough charm to care for the main characters.

The animation mechanics presented minor problems when traversing certain terrain. Ratchet would be unable to get a sure footing or bizarrely hover in the air when not in complete contact with the ground.

GAMEPLAY
Ratchet is a very agile fellow, his movements are graceful and his acrobatic skills allow him to get out of tight situations. Learning to run whilst strafing will become an essential element, this will allow for greater control during movement and aiming. Clank is strapped to Ratchet`s back and has some skills of his own, allowing Ratchet to hover in the air with a heli-pack, providing A; > M underwater equipment, rocket thrusters and many more useful gadgets. The addition of these gadgets is a great away of getting you about environments and exploring them on a more vertical basis too. Mission structure is simple` new planets become unlocked and can be selected through a menu screen. It is also possible to jump back into your spacecraft and travel to previously visited planets.

Let's focus on the weapons in all their glory, the tools that turn all enemies into scrap metal or squished alien matter. You have your trusty omni-wrench that will act as your melee weapon, it's very useful to attack smaller enemies and help conserve ammo. The destructive items in your arsenal will come your way as you progress through the game, you may start off with a simple blaster, but it is only just the beginning. My favourites were the fusion grenades, tornado launcher and raptor launcher. The Groovitron ball holds a special place in my heart; a small bomb when detonated will cause enemies to dance uncontrollably for a limited time. The more you use particular weapons, the more powerful they become to use. Weapons can be upgraded further by increasing ammo capacity, adding special attacks or increasing their damage output.

Collecting bolts from storage boxes or defeated enemies can help by new weapons or replenish your ammo at stores situated around planets. Upgrading weapons will require you to collect Raritanium; these are purple crystals that can be collected in a similar fashion to acquiring bolts. The on-screen action is fast and furious; the frame rate does a great job in keeping up with all of the mayhem. Enemy Al. is simple but effective; they don't care about taking a tactical approach and have no interest in taking you on one at a time. The grind rail sections are fantastic fun and many platforming elements are integrated well into missions. Insomniac Games have used their precious game as a showcase for Six axis motion control gameplay, I had my reservations about this mechanic, but to my surprise it worked well on a variety of gameplay sequences.

There were some on-rails shooting sections in space that were a good distraction, but I felt the controls weren't fully implemented to enjoy these moments. Taking the gameplay away from the planets was a great idea and providing spaceship battles was an even greater treat. It may have been a good idea to allow further customisation to weapons, using different ammo types or adding attachments that would change the type of damage they do.

OVERALL
I loved the characters, the planets are diverse and gorgeous, the gameplay is immensely fun and continues to grow as you progress. Last but not least, it is wrapped up into an excellent package and worth your time.
on 17 December 2007
I just completed Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction and what can I say it is a great game. I wasn't sure about this title at first thought it might be for a younger audience but boy was I wrong. The humour in this game is brilliant there where points when I had to put down the controller because I was laughing so hard some great adult humour.

Graphically this game looks amazing. It has the feel of a Pixar film which is awesome and with each new planet that you visit you can see the work that was put into the game. The voice acting fits with the game so well and once again makes it feel like a movie.

Now down to the gameplay. You start out with one gun but by the end of the game you will end up with probably just over 20 weapons. These weapons are so unique as well that I enjoyed using them all some favourites are the Disco Ball, Lighting Rod and the Predator Launcher. You can buy weapons and items from collecting bolts when you kill enemies and there are plenty of them so don't worry. There is also a something called rare attanium which allows you to upgrade weapons. The enemies are okay they fight back but are not to hard to beat and the boss battles are interesting you basically just need to learn the patterns of each one has.

The only problem I have with the game is the save system. They give you the option to save at any time during the game but when you load your at the start of the level. That is the only downfall with this game in my opinion.

I think this is a must buy for any PS3 owner. It was my first ever Ratchet and Clank game and was a great experience. It makes me want to go back and play the others. Also let's just say because I enjoyed the game so much the ending left me ready for the next game
on 24 November 2007
I had this on pre-order and received it on the release date. Having played it through fully twice now I can honestly say that it's one of the most fun titles I've played on PS2 or PS3 in a long time.

The graphics and sound do the immense power of the PS3 justice and if you've played any R&C games on the PS2 you'll immediately appreciate the enormous step up in quality. The draw distance is phenomenal and the skies are busy with animals and craft. Ballistics and explosions are brilliantly realised and the water effects are second to none. There is no doubting that the developers have unlocked a colour palate untouched so far on the PS3. This is the prettiest game you will play this year.

As always there are a plethora of new weapons to unlock, and the classical R&C sense of humour remains. It's obvious that Insomnia have just been dying to unleash some of these on us for years but haven't had the processor power to do it. When you see a room full of baddies dancing to DISCO and the flashing lights of the groovetron for the first time it's tempting to just watch agog at how much is going on on screen and how much attention to detail there is.

It's not perfect; I've found it a little easy in places and the difficulty is lower than some of the previous games. There are occasional graphical glitches with bits of smashed boxes seeming to hang in mid air and the occasional monster getting stuck behind bits of landscape. You'd have to be mad to let this sort of thing detract from the sheer immense amount of fun there is to be had though. There's tons to do, and if you're the sort who likes to get 100% then you'll be playing it through at least 3 times before you get all the skill points and unlock everything in the game.

Buy this game, you'll not regret it.

See one answered question