5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect.
This is the only COD game I've played as a friend lent it to me,so I haven't had the pleasure of the PC or previous console ones,they may be better or worse but I wouldn't know,just to say this was stunning.
It starts a little obvious with the essential 'tutorial' though this is relatively short and over with.
Then into the first of 14 levels,what strikes you...
Published on 3 Feb 2009 by Mr. M. L. Hanford

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 steps forward, 3 steps back, we come together coz......
Published on 23 May 2007 by C. B. Softley

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect., 3 Feb 2009
Mr. M. L. Hanford "MH74" (Hereford,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Then into the first of 14 levels,what strikes you immediately is the scale,soldiers are running everywhere as well as explosions left,right and centre and it's all very intense.
Like previous COD games,you alternate between several sides,U.S,Polish etc.and this breaks up the story somewhat and makes it more interesting as one big mission as the same guy can get tedious.
Now here are the pros and cons,obviously it looks great but some of the areas are inaccessible so trying to find cover can be hit and miss,several times I tried to go down an alleyway or behind some crates for cover only to find out they were 'fenced' off.
No health packs,just the need to find cover to heal,this I see is becoming more commonplace,Turok,Timeshift,Jericho..and you focus more on the action rather than trying to find some healing items.
A couple of niggles,but not enough to annoy,dancing round a location trying to trigger the next set piece can be tiresome as well as sitting through the intros everytime you start,the only major niggle I found which I would probably knock maybe half a point off is the action sequences,these usually involve button combinations and the stick(s),setting a charge is easy enough but rowing the boat was a fiddle as well as range finding on the mortar,the vehicles are a bit clumsy to start with,the Jeep (Vera) is quickly picked up but the tank can be like rubbing your stomach/patting your head though.
Not a long game,maybe 8-10 hours,but intense enough to cover this up,indeed the closing five minutes are the best moments in gaming I've played and the hairs on my neck went up,the only other game to provoke an emotion was the ending to Syberia 2.
Excellent!,it's a shame there were no bots in multiplayer as it looked quite good but well worth it for the single player.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 steps forward, 3 steps back, we come together coz......, 23 May 2007
C. B. Softley "Badger" (Wolverhampton, Staffordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This was made by a different development team than cOD2, and it shows. It's a step back in terms of quality and also quantity. I'm not an online type of guy so this is purely about the single player campaign. It starts off like all these types of games start off with, a small training stage and them you're thrust into the hell of world war 2. So first off the good points.

1. Lots of different guns, nearly all of them have a different feel to them.

2. The ability to throw back enemy grenades is great.

3. The world blurs as you use your sniper scope, brilliant.

4. Superb tank mission, and driving the jeep is good fun.

5. The level set in a forest looks really good and lush.

6. Some intersting achievements.

And now the bad.

1. Seems a little short.

2. On rails shooting segments, yeesh!

3. Enemies will constantly respawn until you cross over a magic line - so no distant sniping hoping for an easy way in.

4. Parts of COD2 were extremely thrilling and exciting, running between various events, this game doesn't come close to the thrill of the previous game.

5. Cut scenes! I've seen it twice already! Enough!

6. 'Get out of my way!' Your 'team' will constantly get in front of the perfect sniper shot, and even trap you against walls etc. I found the scenery could be a little 'sticky' in places.

7. Getting shot by enemies that are through a closed doorway. You cannot shoot them back, and ther door only opens after you've completed a task.

8. At least a couple of levels are just no fun to play.

So to wrap up, if you enjoy this type of game then you will get some mileage out of this, (the harder difficulties will have you swearing like a sailor.) but just bear in mind, COD2 is the superior game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Call of duty 3, 20 Jun 2007
This review is from: Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
The game is good especially online it is one of the best games ive got there is different modes like war, capture the flag, battle and team battle etc and you can be axis or allies and get to choose from different types of kits rifleman, light and heavy assault, medic, scout, support and a few others. it takes a while to get alot of gamerpoints

The single player isnt as good because if your on easy mode then ya can near enough walk up to the person use melee to kill them instead of bullets and on veteran it's very hard and the cutscenes get annoying after a while

so all in all super online game not so good single player

3.0 out of 5 stars Average FPS, 17 Feb 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I reviewed this on the Wii a while back and thought that the many glitches and bugs in it were there because it was 'shovelware', a game rushed out to capitalise on the Wiis success. Thinking I had a poor mans version I thought I would get it on the 360 to see what all the fuss was about.

Well all I can say is, its pretty much the same.

Ok the graphics and atmosphere in the game are much better than the Wii game, but I still found many 'invisible walls' in the scenery were I couldn't walk any further, I struggled to walk past bits of broken wood, was frustrated when I couldnt back away from an enemy due to the masses of furniture behind me that seemed apparently nailed to the floor, and spotted many dead enemies floating in mid air. Its very sloppy, and frustrating.

Its a solid title that makes you want to complete it though. The controls are solid enough, but sometimes you just wont be able to move for no apparent reason. When I reviewed the Wii version I blamed this on the Wii remote, but now I see its a bug that was in both versions.

The story is pretty good and there is a good variety in the gameplay. You'll be assaulting enemies on foot, with morter guns, tanks and in jeeps, aswell as setting bombs on tanks etc. The only thing it misses is any stealth element. These sort of mini games work better on the wii cos you have the motion controls for rowing boats and moving the morter guns etc.

All in all, this is Okay but its nowhere near as good as Call of Duty 2 and doesnt come close to infinity wards COD4 which is definatley the best in the series so far.

Id probably recommend this to Wii owners as their version is slightly more fun but 360 owners have alot better choices of fps than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Call of Duty 3, Improved but not without its faults, 13 Nov 2006
M. J. Devine "blade316" (west midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I got call of duty 3 on saturday and have been playing it all weekend.

The game does have some improvemnts over the call of duty 2 (better graphics, sounds, more action,) but it is not perfect.

The games main faults comes from the fact that most of the time your "squad" gets in your way and knocks you out of the way or simply blocks your shot and more often than not puts you in danger when trying to move.

This problem comes from your allies are "solid" and the games AI is as such the allies move on a set path and will trap you if you get in the way of them.

One other fault with the game is that when you switch it off and then come back to play it you are forced to sit through several cut scenes which you can not skip.

This becomes a big pain and makes you wait for several mins for the cut scene to finish so you can get on with it and play the game.

This makes the game difficult to play at times but the rest of the game is amazing.

Its worth getting this game for the action is intense and muti player is fatastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off, 18 Dec 2006
Mr. Stephen P. Westhead "Tido" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I don't think this game is as horrible as others are making out, I think in places the graphics are just plain stunning, and some of the sequences are brilliant. Depending on your opinion of a running narrative will determine whether you think the story takes too long in places (dialogue wise), but I feel it serves a purpose, and some games need to do this more. This is a fun game to play and although it doesn't necessarily improve much on COD 2, it's still worth a good play and the online gaming, is wicked. I liked this game :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic if a little buggy..., 11 Nov 2006
A. Skinner (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game is fantastic, it was the main reason why I bought an Xbox 360 in the first place. As soon as the game starts you find yourself in the middle of one of the most intense battles I have ever experienced in a computer game. One reviewer mentions that the game is a bit repetitive and in many ways this is true but then what else is war other than ducking, diving and shooting? Besides the multiplayer games on Xbox live take the game to another level. If there was anything that lets this game down it's that there are a fair few bugs, I'd just played half way through to the first checkpoint and I found I could go no further as one of the other soldiers was sitting in the way so I had to restart, also you see plenty of things floating in mid air after explosions and arms and legs often appear through walls. This stuff should really be sorted before the release date and I hope we don't slip into the realms of the PC where bugs like this are common.

All in all though a fantastic game and I'd highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Call of Duty 2 but multiplayer is great, 27 Nov 2006
Mr. Paul Thompson "pault24" (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Having been a fan of Call of Duty 2 I got this game on the day of release. It is the same as COD 2 in the way of controls but has a few added weapons, vehicles and does seem to be a bit harder.

The D-day mission in COD 2 is my favourite and there doesnt seem to be any big missions like it in COD 3 just more smaller missions.

The online multiplayer is where this game really shines as you can play with upto 24 people in lots of different battles like capture the flag or war. It is great fun and anyone who has xbox live should get this game for the online play alone athough the single player is great too just not as good as COD 2 in my opinion.

At the minute I am spending my online gaming time between this and gears of war and a bit of fifa 07 into the mix. All 3 are great for online gaming.

Bottom line is if you liked COD 2 you will like this and if you are online you will find yourself playing it alot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a must.........., 18 Jan 2007
Norman Cotterill (Bermuda) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game is addictive. From the moment you are casually chatting with the guy in basic training until the finale 14 chapters later, its a hell of a ride. The graphics make you feel like your in an episode of "Band of Brothers". There is definitely an attitude you have to learn in order to survive. Pick your weapons mix carefully. Understand the differences in hitting power, reliability& re-loading time of the hardware available. Watch your ammo. PICK UP EVERY GRENADE YOU CAN. (Please god give me an MP44 and a snipers rifle.)

I've completed the game on normal mode and have gone back and played most chapters on "hard". It's bloody difficult and a simply awesome experience. So much so that I have just ordered a 42inch HDTV and a copy of COD 2. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Call of Duty 3 Review, 10 Oct 2009
This review is from: Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Fantastic game! And for all of those people who think these games are for the youngsters...I'm 76 years old!!!

Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360) by Activision (Xbox 360)
14.89