5.0 out of 5 stars I prescribe Lily for growing old grumpiness...
I'm a stuffy old codger who couldn't stand Lily Allen when she first elbowed her way into the spot light from the ghettoes of Hammersmith and private schools. She seemed far too perky and rude to appeal to me and so I dismissed her from my thoughts and ears for a long time.

Published on 15 July 2009 by Simon Yates

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not as good as her latest but it is still good, guess she improved over time (don't we all).
Published 2 months ago by Claire

5.0 out of 5 stars I prescribe Lily for growing old grumpiness..., 15 July 2009
This review is from: Alright, Still (Audio CD)

Unfortunately I did this before I'd actually listened to any of her songs, and so I shall take this opportunity to apologise whole-heartedly for my prejudices and hope these five orange stars make up for it somewhat.

And now that I have listened, I think all her songs are deliciously perky and rude and tongue-in-cheek and serious and fantastic. Each one different, but each bearing her very distinctive style.

She's a product of today's society no doubt, swearing, leering and pseudo-celebrity-common, but she swears so well and leers so prettily that she makes today's society seem rather big and rather clever.

Even for someone as curmudgeonly as me...

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a CLEAN version !, 20 Feb 2007
Mr. P. G. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this import version of the wonderful album from Lily Allen because it has a few extra tracks, however, please note that its a CLEAN lyric version - i.e all the 'F' words are faded out ! The Smile remix is not bad, and Nan You're A Window Shopper is OK (available as a B side on one of her singles)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lily Allen - Alright, Still, 28 Jun 2006
N. Wilson "nigel-wilson" (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Oh. My. God!

I am so excited this day has finally come. Lily Allen has been storming her way through the world of Myspace for YONKS!. Finally, the thousands of die-hard fans out there can get their hands on this truly amazing girls work.

For anyone who missed the hype, think of this; Mike Skinner, with a damn good voice, which is mixed with poppy lilting ska melodies, combined with fantastic drum beat sections, added to a huge wave of fantastically honest and frank lyrics and mixed with a bit of attitude- and you have yourself Lily Allen!

As everyone and everything is saying, finally, a gal with some attitude! Lily is the first lady since, well the Spice Girls I guess(!), to rampage her way onto the music scene with a fistful of anger and a handful of bite! A girl with spirit! She should make it on that alone... if flimsy little Rachael Stevens can make it, Lily can too!

Aside from this, it must be taken into account (and this, I consider, a highly important factor) that she is a brilliant performer. Sure, stick anyone who can knock out an alright tune in a record booth these days and you have a star- but I feel that Lily's proved herself to be fantastic in every shape and form.

The album contains some of the most fantastic debut material I have ever heard. Of course, there is the hit single "Smile" and her first single "LDN", both (as you must know) brilliant and addictive tracks. Along with this there are the much played Myspace songs "Can't Knock `Em Out" - a catchy little ditty with a lyrical story to die for, "Littlest Things" - a sweet song which has the most modern view on romance I have heard in a ballad in a while, "Alfie" - a absolutely amazing ska pop track with lyrics which had me laughing myself something silly and "Everything's Just Wonderful" - a funky hip-hoppy track which will get your toes tapping!

On top of this, there are tracks like "Friday Night" and "Take What You Take" which are both brilliant songs with a great melody's and a fab drum sections.

This album is truly something special, I think there is something on here to appeal to almost anyone - even if its just the cheeky lyrical genius of this girl.

A tip top 10/10 for Lily...

5.0 out of 5 stars It's more than alright!, 19 May 2007
This review is from: Alright, Still (Audio CD)
First of all, I should point out that yes, while Lily does talk with a 'posh' accent and sing in a 'chav' accent, and her music is quite 'chavvish' in flavour, I sincerely doubt that it's a move to sell records. I suspect it's simply the sort of music she is into, and if we all went by that argument, then we should also lambast the likes of Eric Clapton for playing 'black' music, and so forth.

Onto the album - while most of the single pulls are reggae-flavoured (Smile, LDN), there is also straightforward pop (Everything's Just Wonderful, Alfie), although Lily's delivery is far from sugar-coated. Her lovely soft voice weaves effortlessly through the music and her sense of rhyming and timing are inspired at times. The album does come with a Parental Guidance sticker for a reason, though - Lily has slipped in the odd swear word in just about every song, or a reference to sex, so while the cursing isn't constant, be warned that the c-word does crop up, as does the t-word in Alfie and in both cases you get the feeling that Lily slipped them in because she finds it funny and could have easily left them out.

Subject matter seems to be split fairly equally between wry observations of the world around her (Friday Night, Knock 'Em Out) and digs at her ex-boyfriends (Smile, Not Big). Each song is varied and strong enough to stand out from the one that comes before. My personal favourites are Knock 'Em Out with its stuttering drumbeat (about unwanted attention from undesirables), Everything's Just Wonderful (a well-written anthem about the burdens of most young people these days) and Friend Of Mine, although I think that just abut every song on here is a winner. However, Take What You Take is an awful pop-by-numbers song which should have been left off in favour of the far more superior B-side Nan, You're A Window Shopper.

I believe that this is a fine album and one that proves Lily Allen to be a consummate songwriter and singer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Unique Miss Allen, 29 Jun 2009
This review is from: Alright, Still (Audio CD)
I bought this, and her latest album together, unsure whether that was the right call .... but I'm far from disappointed.

They're worth every penny - a very unique sound at the moment (although others are trying to mimic), with minor swearing that the young kids won't even notice, due to cheeky, catchy melodies - bargain!

Love it - nuff said!

5.0 out of 5 stars The UK's brightest star., 16 May 2006
Mr. D. S. Cooke "Cookie" (Totnes, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alright, Still (Audio CD)
Lily Allen has done a 'mike skinner' and created an album full of songs that catch something ephemeral in Britain and in London in particular. she has, as the streets man has done, been able to find a way to articulate a feeling that has yet to be articulated. the album is packed full of songs that tell stories of people she knows, peoples she's watched and the city she lives in. like a mini snap-shot of a summer day in LDN she has caught it all in a brief moment in time. everything perfectly balanced. and as she sees it.

Her songs are very summery and the release date is no coinsidence, she will be the feelgood artist of the summer. this years Jack Johnson to the masses. She already has a huge following on the internet and it continues to grow, with airplay on radio 1 and the beginnings of a set of live shows in London she is going to be HUGE.

check out LDN. getting alot of airplay and deservedly so. amazing talent!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Futures Bright the Futures Lily!!!, 19 May 2006
This review is from: Alright, Still (Audio CD)
This girl is going to be huge!!! I heard her track London a couple of months back, this will be the song of the summer, and was so impressed with her lyrical skills and also the production of the song... Since then I have acquired a demo and there are some amazing tunes, check out Smile, Littlest things and my personal favourite Alfie...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have., 1 May 2009
Mrs. M. Scott (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alright, Still (Audio CD)
Got this CD and the new Lily Allen CD for my Birthday and have played them none stop since.Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lily Allen Rocks!, 21 Nov 2009
Ej Bell "Em Bell" (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alright, Still (Audio CD)
I listen to this CD on my way to work all the time. It'll make you smile. It is funny and sassy. Modern day poetry perhaps, London style. Lots of inappropriate lyrics if you've got kids you better watch it. I think some people will be shocked by the lyrics and content, but I think it is spot on. Love it. The only criticism I have is it is a bit samey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chav reggae pop for the NOW moment, 17 Jun 2008
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alright, Still (Audio CD)
It's clever, contemporary and coarse, but where does Lily Allen's debut album fit in? My over-riding irritation wasn't the music but the poor recording standard - it was 'over-blown' which makes it sound loud when it's not, and makes it near impossible to actually turn up the volume because it sounds as if the speakers will be damaged. I guess that's not the performer's fault (is it?) but it was a severe distraction for me. Other than that there was a hint of Gwen Stefani about the lyrics, albeit London-ified, and if truth be told without some of the American girl's real singing ability.

I think you either like Lily Allen or you don't, and I can understand both sides. Favourite track: Littlest Things. She's different, but I can't help but feel that Amy Winehouse has done a much better job of turning urban angst and personal issues into songs that stand up on their own whether you actually listen to the words or not. It's a different style, of course, but there's a rawness that Amy can call upon if she wants to that - in my humble opinion - isn't in Lily's locker. Sharp-witted and observant? Yes. Will I be listening to it a few years from now? I doubt it.

Alright, Still
Alright, Still by Lily Allen (Audio CD - 2006)