5.0 out of 5 stars Straight in at Number One in my CD collection, 14 Jun 2006
This review is from: Homebird (Audio CD)
This CD has not been out of my stereo since it arrived shortly after its release. I love this album from beginning to end. There isn't a single track I don't like or ever skip.

Favourites include "West", a simply arranged song which showcases Brian's pure, slightly mournful voice to perfection; the entrancing future single, "If you don't believe in me", co-written with Calum MacColl and Ronan Keating; the gloriously upbeat and happy "Go with my heart"; the slightly plaintive "For once in your life" and the hauntingly touching "Turn to me".

Of the two discs, I think I even prefer the bonus disc with its acoustic sessions, if only for the fact that it contains my absolute favourite tracks, the sublime "You Are" and the lilting "Silver Hearts on Chains", the latter co-written with Fairground Attraction's Eddi Reader.

The beauty of this album for me lies in the simplicity of the production. Nothing is allowed to overshadow the real star of this collection of songs - Brian's wonderfully pure and emotive voice.

Anyone thinking of buying the album should definitely do so while the bonus CD is included in the price. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A coming of age for a true songcraftsman., 9 Aug 2006
John Frame "There Is No Substitute For Equality" (Brisbane, Queensland Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homebird (Audio CD)
In my experience all of Brian's recordings have been very good to excellent, but as noted by others, Homebird impresses as being another step further toward perfection. My initial listening was via my good new headphones (Sennheiser PX-100's) and it was the quality of production which initially enthralled me. After a few days rotation in the car CD player I was convinced that all these songs are superb, and that the album as a whole is extremely well crafted. "Homebird" sets a standard to which other artists must aspire. Brian Kennedy and Calum MacColl deserve to take a deep bow to wild applause.

In Brisbane we've been lucky enough to see Brian up close and personal working solo - but it would be wonderful to see his band in full flight with this material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can It Get Any Better Than This?, 7 Jun 2006
A. R. Lattimore "nunclenan" (Knutsford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homebird (Audio CD)
This just simply has to be the best ever record I have purchased in over 25 years of buying music, I have well over 200 albums in my collection to date - ranging from The Beatles thru to AC/DC via Celine Dion, Dire Straits, Kylie, Led Zepplin and everything in between!

Brian's vocal ability is out of this world and I thought George Michael could sing. Talking of which Careless Whisper has, after 22 years, just been replaced as my favourite ever song by - If You Don't Believe In Me. There is not one duff track on the album. I bought it 3 days ago and it hasn't been off my system since. Oh, by the way, I went to see Brian in concert in Manchester - the best concert ever? YES! And I didn't think anything could ever top AC/DC 6 years ago. Buy it - please. Forget x-factor. Eurovision? How can a proper singer only finish 10th? Oh Lordi!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 28 May 2006
Plinky (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homebird (Audio CD)
For the first time, in my opinion, Brian has produced an album - the version on Disc 2 - that is close to his wonderful live show. Disc 1 is forgettable in terms of production, other than "All Over the World" and "You Raise Me Up", but Disc 2, with real instruments and a much more dynamic sound, is instantly catchy. I hope journalists reviewing the album will focus on the 2nd disc! "Coming Home" is one of his best upbeat songs - ever - and on the whole the upbeat songs on this album are very strong. "Silver Hearts on Chains", "West" and "Turn To Me" are beautiful songs that go straight to the heart. However there are very few songs that have adequate backing vocals, which would have made a big difference to really complete the album. As for the artwork and photography - the less said, the better, unfortunately. Strangely there are no named credits for the musicians? Despite these gripes, it is well worth the wait! For people who have just discovered Brian through Eurovision, it's a wonderful introduction to the breadth of his talent, both as a singer and a songwriter. It's been playing non-stop in my house since I got it 2 days ago, and the album is a real grower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!!, 2 Jun 2006
This review is from: Homebird (Audio CD)
Brian Kennedy's tender yet powerful voice is wonderful to listen to, and it fits perfectly with the amazing songs he delivers. 'Homebird' contains lyrics that are soothing and promising, strengthening and heartbreaking - all at the same time! It is a TOP NOTCH album that I just can't get enough of! And without risking to sound TOO enthusiastic I must say that 'Homebird' is probably one of the best albums I have ever heard in my entire life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this worth the wait ?, 1 Jun 2006
This review is from: Homebird (Audio CD)
In a single word, Yes!! Homebird is the brilliant new album by Brian Kennedy, Ireland's Eurovision superstar. I am proud to own every recording that he has ever made and this rates amongst the best. I was doubtful that "Get On With Your Short Life" could ever be surpassed but here we are.

The vocal production by the gifted Calum MacColl on disc one is very tight and the musical arrangements are extremely slick and smooth. From all of the tracks, I really liked this arrangement of "Destination".

The second disc really is a bonus in every sense of the world. The arrangement of these acoustic tracks really reminds me of a BK live performance and all the smiles that brings. The up-tempo tracks feel bright and breezy with lots of guitars in the mix; the ballads are heart-felt and performed in the way that only the man with the voice to charm the angels can deliver. I loved the subtle changes in the lyrics and the genuine feel-good vibe. I have seen Brian perform the title track "Homebird" and also "Go With My Heart" over the past year and they are captured (sorry!) beautifully here. Currently, my favourites are "Coming Home" and "If You Don't Believe In Me".

I have enjoyed Brian's foray into the past with the two On-Song albums and a review of the best of the best with the Live in Belfast set, but this is what I have been waiting for ... inspirational lyrics and beautiful music; an oasis in the desert of mass-produced, commercial pap.

These CDs have been playing on my iPod, laptop, stereo and in my car almost non-stop since I got them. Well done Brian, may this album take you much higher than tenth place!!

Purchasers, don't miss out. Get this album early while the limited edition disc two is available. I predict that it is going to become gold dust ...

Homebird
Homebird by Brian Kennedy (Audio CD - 2008)