4.0 out of 5 stars the seeds of change in AFI?
I personally couldn't wait for AFI's lastest release after their three year absense and I really wanted to hear how they had changed- and boy have they!

From the opening to the ending, what you are hearing is a new, more mature AFI with Daveys vocals showing an definite improvement from before, don't get me wrong, I have always loved his voice but now it sends...
Published on 31 May 2006 by T. Graham

2.0 out of 5 stars A largely depressing effort by a great band
I rushed out to buy this when I heard that a new album was finally out and I am still trying to come to terms with it! I guess it's a matter of personal taste, but I thought this album was pretty awful. It took me two days to manage to listen to all of it all the way through without breaking down!

I thought that `Sing the Sorrow' was a bit of a departure from...
Published on 5 Jun 2006 by B. J. Thatcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 4 May 2007
T. D. Mooney - See all my reviews
This review is from: Decemberunderground (Audio CD)
There has been mixed opinions about this album mainly from the OLD AFI fans moaning about how there music has changed. In my opinion i think the new stuff is just as good as the old they have change their music style from pure punk to ROCK. There is still a sign of the old as proved on KILL CAUSTIC. This is just another great album to the already amazing AFI colection.

5.0 out of 5 stars afiness, 9 Jun 2006
A. hughes (wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Decemberunderground (Audio CD)
i have 2 previous afi albums, sing the sorrow and the art of drowning. i think decemberunderground is better then the other two, and sing the sorrow was the best thing i'd ever heard before this! i dont think some fans of afis earlier stuff will like this, it is very different from that fast punk they used to play. theyve sort of evolved and grown up. whet i love about this album is how diverse all the songs are, ranging from new order/the cure influenced songs like 37mm to fast, more punk tracks like kill caustic, and they still keep their kind of typical afi sound right the way through.

my favourite track at the moment(and it changes everytime i listen!) is affliction, it sounds quite a lot like what they used to sound like on sing the sorrow, but i love the guitars and daveys vocals & lyrics are amazing.

to summarise, BUY IT!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult one..., 4 Jun 2006
This review is from: Decemberunderground (Audio CD)
As a huge fan of AFI I expected some evolution of their sound for this album. Afterall, since Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes AFI heve never delivered the same album twice. However, the change to their sound here WILL alienate some of their fans. AFI have been keen to stress that they are not a punk band for a while and this album should be enough to finally dispel that label once and for all.

The fact that the single Miss Murder is so poppy (dare one say throw away) is your first clue. Yes there are several songs that a typical of AFI (such as the true opener Kill Caustic and The Affliction), but the squeaky clean production exorcises any remnant of punk from this corpse. Many of the songs have an 80's style electro-pop element to them. Love like Winter and The Missing Frame being pure 80's synth pop. The choruses for all songs are now extra catchy to the point of being almost cheesy. And yet this is by no means an immediate album. Punk Rockers like myself will find it difficult due to it's poppiness and pop fans may find it a little too hardcore.

But it's worth sticking with. Allow it a few listens to let it bed in and it all starts making sense. Well not all. The Missing Frame is a nightmare for all rockers. But overall it starts to sound pretty good. Basically, when I first heard it I didn't like it. But for some reason I kept listening to it and now I can't stop. Really this needs the listener to put all prejudices aside and just appreciate it for what it is: A collection of well written pop-rock songs liberally coated in darkness. If you like your music challenging, give it a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Different?, 31 May 2006
M. Mitchell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Decemberunderground (Audio CD)
I have been listening to the album for almost 24 hours now...and I am still unsure what to make of the direction they have taken for this album...if you're expecting another Sing The Sorrow, don't. I have been a fan of the band since Black Sails In The Sunset and nearing the end of the album I was expecting the hallmark AFI hidden track....no. The cd stopped and it left me wondering about all the instrumental music they had running on their website???Overall the album is great, tracks like 'The Missing Frame' and 'The Interview' stand out for myself. AFI definitely tell a solid story with this album, but I can't help but think...why did they feel the need to record 3 cover songs for this record?Perhaps it will just take a bit of getting used to but this is my opinion, I would love to see more reviews from the hardcore fans because they are the guys and girls who know AFI better than anyone, so once you get through the album....get writing!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Years In The Making, 29 May 2006
This review is from: Decemberunderground (Audio CD)
AFI are my favourite band ever and that is partly due to the consistency of the quality of the albums they produce.

Their last album, Sing The Sorrow, was a gothic rock masterpiece that was let down by the first single and the track the great disappointment.

This album is so much better than that, every track is gold. opening with the melodic and dark prelude 12/21 before launching into the hardcore kill caustic before lightening up with the first single Miss Murder which whilst good, is the worst track on the album, that tells you how good it is. From then we have a variety of songs including the epic kiss and control, the synth pop masterpiece 37mm and my personal favourite the very anthemic "the Killing Lights".

The bonus tracks are ok, though Rabbits are Roadkill is actually a session track off Sing The Sorrow and Head Like A Hole was on the Grand Theft Auto soundtrack.

There is nothing on this album that really lets you down, the tracks are experimental in places and feature a lot of synths (by the excellent VnV Nation) and this is one of the best album they have ever created.

Buy it now or miss out on a truely unique masterpiece.

3.0 out of 5 stars AFI Decemberunderground, 31 May 2006
Mr. P. Bird (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Decemberunderground (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of AFI since the release of their 'black sails in the sunset' album and i have to say i feel let down. I found this album to be abit typical, they didn't have the edge they had from previous albums. the only song which is even close to there older stuff is 'Rabbits Are Roadkill On Rt. 37' other then that it's not a good album in my opinon. Old AFI fans i would say buy it only to have a full collection of their work and new AFI fans to buy if you like typical punk albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars different but brilliant, 23 Jun 2006
Colin Scott "afisweem" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Decemberunderground (Audio CD)
ive been a fan of AFI since the old days. this is alot different from their other stuff but it's simply amazing. Ive listened to it at least 3 times a day since its release. Not a bad track on it. Each track is unique and as brilliant as the last. This is not emo despite what some people would say.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Compare, 16 Feb 2007
This review is from: Decemberunderground (Audio CD)
As a stand along album, Decemberunderground isn't bad. I can see why lots of newer fans have picked it up and enjoyed it. However, as an older AFI fan I can't help but compare it to their olders stuff, and in all honesty, it doesn't even come close.

It doesn't have the aggressive punk styling of their first albums, nor even the dark, romantic lyrics that came in to play on 'Black Sails' and 'Art of Drowning'. It doesn't even compare to 'Sing the Sorrow', the album which many die-hard fans branded as a sellout album. In actual fact, for the first time in their career, AFI are now being branded as emo as a result of this album.

This being said, there ARE a few tracks that I enjoy off Decemberunderground. While I personally can't stand the almost poppy singles; 'Miss Murder' and 'Love Like Winter', I do find 'Kill Caustic', 'Affliction' and 'Endlessly She Said' to reflect the bands earlier work. In addition, both of the (so-called new) UK bonus tracks, 'Rabbits are Roadkill' and the cover of Nine Inch Nails' 'Head Like a Hole' are also worth listening to.

Overall, I would recommend buying this album, but if you are a fan of AFI's older music make sure you don't expect too much from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Punch, punky, varied and exciting throughout, 30 Jun 2008
This review is from: Decemberunderground (Audio CD)
This album is a great follow-on from Sing the Sorrow, I would say it is more varied and it's packed with instant classics (e.g. Miss Murder).

I loved the album from start to finish. The last track (Head Like a Hole) really reminds me of a track by Nine Inch Nails, although I can't remember the name.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Great disappointment?, 9 Jun 2006
This review is from: Decemberunderground (Audio CD)
This album is truly weird... just what genre could you call it? Popgothpunkrock maybe? Whatever it is it really doesn't work. I got into AFI with Girls not Grey and love sing the sorrow. However I was disappointed when I bought black sails in the sunset and the follow up which is only marginally better. With sing the sorrow at least the shouting was over heavy guitars but in a number of places in decemberunderground there's shouting over melodic guitars... which reminds me god forbid of such bands as Finch. Even the best track miss murder has such shouting but gets away with it because it's catchy.

Decemberunderground
Decemberunderground by A.F.I. (Audio CD - 2006)