Format: Audio CD|Change

This is the worst recording of medieval music I've ever heard. The rendering of the Agincourt Carol on track 3 is sometimes off key and much of the rest of the music is banal and monotonous. The Gift of Music is very good for some kinds of music - their Sea Shanties CDG 1024, for instance, is firstrate - but medieval music is not their forte.

Those intersted in exploring into medival music cannot do better than begin with Gothic Voices on such CDs as The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, The Garden of Zephirus and The Spirits of England and France, and there are many more, of which I have a large collection including three of the Agincourt Carol, all beautifully rendered, which is why the awful rendering of it on Making Merrye caused me so much disappointment and distress.

Some of the good people who have reviewed this CD have been very genorous in their comments, but I can only speak the truth as I see it or hear it. There are so many wonderful medieval music recordings around I can only hope that their kind reviews will eventually be rewarded by their being able to listen to the real thing.
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2006
If you want to make an entry into medieval music, stop looking & buy this.

I listen to this disc all the time. It is beautifully performed with great feeling by obviously-skilled artists. If you want an introduction to what was heard long ago, this is a fantastic starting point.
on 28 November 2009
Most of the music I have is relaxing classical and wanted something more energetic for daytime use. I came across this cd while searching for medieval herb gardening and cookery. Although there are one or two tracks I'm not too keen on, on the whole I find Making Merrye uplifting and, as my daughter said, it will be fun for doing the housework to!

At first I was a little disappointed with the sound level, but that may be the machine I was playing it on, it's better on a different player after a bit of tweeking.
on 16 January 2009
I am very new to the genre of medieval music and bought this CD 7 months ago on the strenth of Simon's review. This has proved to be an excellent purchase! I can't say that I listen to it all the time but I listen to it at least twice each week, and there's not a lot of music in any genre that I play so often. It really is a brilliant CD, go on, buy it!
on 10 November 2009
Found this very uplifting. Good balance between vocal and instrumental tracks. Definitely for those who enjoy hurdy-gurdy music - reminiscent of Nigel Eaton.
Very acceptable sound quality. Some helpful cover information. Makes a pleasant accompaniment to wintry afternoons - perhaps a nice Christmas choice for those seeking something different.
on 10 January 2016
Something to dance to after our this food recipe
Kill a Peacock, either by thrusting a Quill into his brain from above, or else cut his throat, as you do for young Badgers, that the blood may come forth. Then cut his skin gently from his throat unto his tail, and being cut, pull it off with his feathers from his whole body to his head. Cut off that with the skin, and legs, and keep it. Roast the Peacock on a spit. His body being stuffed with spices and sweet Herbs, sticking first on his breast Cloves, and wrapping his neck in a white Linen cloth. Wet it always with water, that it may never dry. When the Peacock is roasted, and taken from the spit, put him into his own skin again, and that he may seem to stand upon his feet, you shall thrust small Iron wires, made on purpose, through his legs, and set fast on a board, that they may not be discerned, and through his body to his head and tail. Some put Camphire in his mouth, and when he is set upon the table, they cast in fire. Platina shows that the same may be done with Pheasants, Geese, Capons, and other birds. And we observe these things among our guest
on 13 March 2013
Not all the tracks here quite represent the spirit of 'making merrye', but most of them do. The overall mix is upbeat and entertaining. I really like the discordant sound of medieval instruments and the sound quality on the CD seems very good to me. I'm now buying recordings by some of the featured artists. As a one-off purchase of medieval music, you can't go wrong with this compilation.
on 15 April 2012
I am sorry but this is not a review. I did listen to all the samples and I'd love to order this CD but.....can someone please tell me if the CD really contains all music listed on the sample? Because....what is Coleman Hawkins doing at No.18????????? Since no one is talking about it, I presume and I hope it's a mistake by Amazon? How could it happen??? Sorry for not posting my comment under 'comment' section but I just wanted those who bought this CD to see my query! Many thanks!
44 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2013
A fantastic CD of medieval songs and dances which are upbeat and great to dance and listen to. Would recommend to others interested in this type of music.
on 6 July 2015
I liked most tracks and it gave my party a medieval festive air.