5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year
What an absolute stonker of an album. Never previously owned a Nelly album but was more than impressed by the UK single releases Maneater and Promiscuous. The album is jam-packed with cracking tunes - standouts for me are the aforementioned hits as well as Say it Right (fantastic) All good things (the latest UK single) and Wait for You.

I've been kicking...
Published on 2 Oct 2006 by ronaldobiscottini

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright...
This new album by Nelly Furtado is pretty different than her past singles and she stepped out of the box for this one and for that I give credit. I havent listened to her first two albums, but I did fall in love with her previous singles which is why I had to listen to this album.

I thought it was very interesting when I found out that she released three...
Published on 14 Jun 2006 by AdR!An

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year, 2 Oct 2006
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)

I've been kicking myself for taking so long to buy it - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loose - Nelly Furtado, 18 Aug 2006
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)
I liked Maneater but on first listen i was a bit let down with the rest of the album. However i listened to it a second time and began to see the tracks individually and i have to say i really really like it now. My favourite song on the whole album is Te Busque. The lyrics are beautiful and Nelly obviously works well with Juanes. All round a very varied and fun album with a serious and romantic side. I approve!

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright..., 14 Jun 2006
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)

I thought it was very interesting when I found out that she released three diffrent lead-off singles 'Promiscuous' (USA, Australia), 'Maneater' (Eurasia), and 'No Hay Igual' (Mexico, S. America). These upbeat tracks are very fun and are full of attitude, sure they're fun to dance to but they are not strong songs like 'Powerless' and 'Try' which are amazing songs. None the less, the singles are probably the best ear candy on the album and are very radio friendly. On the album "Loose" there are some what touching ballads and upbeat songs about lust, inner battles and relationships.

Don't expect the sounds of "Folklore" because the majority of the production on this album is Timbaland's work, which is strictly R&B and hip hop. It's a more "Whoa!, Nelly" sound which I'm not too fond of due to the fact that its an old sound and it's been done. There is a touch of an atmospheric 80's dance pop sound with synthesizers in a few songs like 'Say It Right' and 'Do It' and " which is nice but not sure if it goes well with Nelly. There were also nice acoustic songs like 'What I Wanted" and "Te Busque", a duet with the popular Mexican band Juanes which I found was the only song I genuinly love from this album.

Something that did annoy me were the little spoken intros in between some songs, I didnt think they were necessary but I can see how Nelly and the producers found it funny or whatever. I expected to hear a more fresh and diffrent sound since Nelly was kinda known for her original style of music. It seems Nelly wanted to be more mainstream with this one since her sophmore album failed to reach the succsess of her debut. If that was the intention of this album then I am disappointed.

Although the album sometimes doesnt flow well due to its diffrent style of music its a nice sounding album overall. Maybe a DVD including the making of this album would have got me into this album more and would've helped me and others understand why Nelly decided to do an album like this...

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Album From Nelly Furtado, 29 Jun 2006
S. Mangan-Taylor "strawberrybounce2005" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)
I wasn't really a massive fan of Nelly Furtado before and even though I did like her older material, nothing really made me go out and buy a full length album but this all changed when I heard 'Maneater', it was just so different to her previous material and after hearing snippets from the album, it was a must have.

I am so glad I purchased it as I feel it is the best album of 2006 so far.

The album opens with 'Afraid' and this is a grower as it took me a couple of listens to really get into it. The next two tracks 'Maneater' and 'Promiscuous' have been massive in differnt parts of the world and it's no wonder as they are top quality and the production from Timbaland is amazing.

The track 'Showtime' is a kind of chilled and relaxed track along with the beautiful In God's Hands and All Good Things.

No Hay Igual is an all spanish uptempo track and is quite hard to sing along to but it is really catchy as is Say It Right which is just screaming for a release.

The bonus tracks 'Let My Hair Down' and 'Somebody To Love' are absolutely amazing and Let My Hair Down is quite unique but still really catchy.

Overall, this is an outstanding album fron Nelly Furtado and this album certain proves what style she should stick with :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh sound for the summer, 6 July 2006
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)
LOVE this album! It's Nelly Furtado at her best... it's very R&B, easy going, bit of rap now and then... this is the soundtrack for my summer, from the fuel-injected Maneater, (which the album version includes a slice of it in acapella, and it sounds a lot better and nicer than the single version.) to Promiscious with Timbaland, this CD has some great Number 1 sounding tracks, very flawless, flows easily... and some good collaborations - gets 5/5 from me... can see me wearing this CD out come September!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!! best nelly album ever!!, 28 Dec 2006
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)
I loved the first two singles from this album and really wanted to get the album. I did think the album might just have a couple of good tracks and the rest be album fillers but I was so wrong.

Maneater is a great indicator of what is on this album, it is filled with tracks as catchy as that song and it will not leave you disappointed.

It is a great funky/poppy album that will have you singing and dancing along.

It is amazing and hasn't been off my stereo since I got it, I want to give it 10/10 as it totally amazed me and is great. One of the best albums of 2006!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loose - eccentric, fresh and full of life!, 16 July 2006
Andy "^_^" (Wirral, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)
"Loose" is the third album from Nelly Furtado. It contains her trademark blend of pop, folk, soft rock and so much more. Unlike the previous two albums "Whoa Nelly" and "Folklore", this album also comes with some more urban tracks that give the album a fresh new vibe.

Afraid feat' Attitude - I love its beat and the lyrics are inspirational, very catchy opening to a great album. 9/10
Maneater - the amazing first single, fast, fierce, catchy and truly top quality. 10/10
Promiscuous feat' Timbaland - a far more urban track that sounds a little odd against her vocals, but in all its very good. 9/10
Glow - very different and wild. That chorus will stick in your head. 8/10
Showtime - it is a good track if not a bit of a filler. It's still very likeable. 7.5/10
No Hay Igual - the upbeat tone and foreign vocals make this a unique song. 8/10
Te Busque - similar to the last track but even more remarkable. 8.5/10
Say It Right - the mysterious music brings a haunting ballad with soft and stylish vocals. 9/10
Do It - slightly more urban but not as good as Promiscuous. 7/10
In God's Hands - a very memorable ballad with a sad yet lifting feel to it. 8/10
Wait for you - a more Asian feel here. The song is a little repetitive though. 7/10
All Good Things (Come to an end) - I love this one for its lyrics and smooth beat. 8/10
Let My Hair Down - a very random and boring filler. Worst track. 5/10
Somebody to love - not exactly ground breaking but it closes off a great album. 6/10

Overall, I highly recommend this album. It is great to listen to and it's sure to get you on your feet, but at the same time some of the tracks are just nice to chill out and listen to. Brilliant, Nelly does it again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nelly returns making all the right moves, 13 Jun 2006
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)
Nelly has returned, only this time she has opted for the pop route, teaming up with hit maker Timberland. Perhaps some of her old fans will dislike the move, but Nelly is guaranteed to build on her fan base with `Loose'. Now for the run through:

The lyrics for `Afraid' are very poignant and understanding, full of sentiment without sounding cheesy and contrived. The track has the typical timberland production, synths supported by a backdrop of drums creating a dark, industrial sound. The chorus for `Afraid' is instantly recognisable and you'll be reciting along with the choir as the track comes to an end.

The smash hit `Maneater' is the second track on the album. `Maneater' has done for Nelly what `What You Waiting For' did for Gwen, Nelly is the new lady fighting for the crown of pop and as the chart success of this single proves, she is more than likely to be wearing it this year. The track has a thumping beat and a perfectly crafted sing-a-long chorus, therefore making it perfect for both radio and club play.

It is clear that `Promiscuous Girl' was tailored for Nelly's return to the American market. It is by no means a bad track, but it is eclipsed by the excellence of `Maneater' and its attempts at sounding Hip Hop sound phoney. Basically, you've heard this track before with the numerous American ladies of R&B who release this material.

`Glow' has the same catchy appeal of `Maneater' with another instantly recognisable chorus amidst a techno-beat. Of course this track doesn't compete with the excellence of `Maneater' but it's good all the same.

`Showtime' is a much mellower affair after the heavy beats in the opening tracks. It has a simply melodic chorus and easy listening appeal. I'm not sure I would call it a stand out track, but you won't skip it as the album plays. However, the same can not be said for tracks 6 and 7. Perhaps they are the kind of tracks that grow on you, but I don't think they compete with the rest of the album.

`Maneater' suggests Timberland's excellence but `Say It Right' proves it. With Nelly's lyrical ability and Timberlands ear for a catchy vocal sample there's is a perfect union. `Say It Right' is a beautiful sounding track. It's not as forthright as `Maneater' but still retains that instant appeal. It's the sort of track you could listen to last thing at night; it has a very atmospheric feel about it.

You could be forgiven for thinking `Do It' was a Gwen Stefani track modelled on Madonna's early work. Nelly's vocals sound very similar to these two ladies. I've read that many people see this track as a stand out one, but for me it just borders on average to good.

`In God's Hands' is about as close as you will get to hearing a track on `Loose' that sounds like a progression from Nelly's second album. Nelly has made such a transition in sound that you wonder if there is a place for any acoustic, folk sounding songs. Nevertheless, the track works as it stands out amongst the Timberland production on the rest of the album and it is because it stands out that you remember it and go back to give it another listen.

Again, with `Wait For You' Nelly touches upon a new angle in `Loose'. The track fuses together the expected drum beats with a new Middle Eastern twang (which reappears in the bonus tracks `Let My Hair Down' and `Somebody To Love'). There is even the use of strings that always give a track a more polished sound.

All Good Things (Come to an End) has a real pastoral beauty. It's how I envisioned the tracks on Folklore would sound before actually hearing them. As a track in its own right, it could have sounded alien amongst the rest of the album - but it has the same lyrical depth as `Afraid' and therefore finishes what was started, making it the perfect album finale.

The album starts strong with `Afraid' and finishes stronger with `All Good Things'. It is a perfectly crafted pop album because Timberland and Nelly Furtado make an excellent team. All the individuals who worked on `Loose' should be very proud and anyone who chooses to buy it will be very pleased with their purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars More on this than meets the eye!, 24 Feb 2007
John "John" (Church Stretton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)
This is a great album. Yes, it is great because there are lots of well known, catchy songs but it's also great because more than just that. There are songs that only people who own this disc have ever listened to. Most of these are apsolute little gems!

From 'Maneater' to 'Promiscuos' to 'All good things (must come to an end)' to 'Afraid' there is everything you could ever ask for on an album. What's more is there are some great supporting artists included on this CD. Two of the more well known ones are Timbaland and Justin Timberlake.

The undiscovered gems are 'Say it right', 'No hay Igual' and 'Glow'. The main factor why you should buy this is that unlike most albums out nowadays it isn't an album with two great songs and nine other rubbish ones. A great buy, 9/10

3.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed!, 3 Aug 2006
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)
Having heard reports from disappointed fans I wasn't sure if buying "Loose" was a good idea. I can see why some don't like it - if you prefer the old stuff this might come as a shock. However I think it's great that she has explored a different genre and with such success but without losing the Latin rhythms. You also get the feeling that plenty other artists were happy to collaborate with her. As a HUGE Juanes fan my fav. track is "Te Busque" but "No Hay Igual", "Maneater" and "Showtime" are excellent too. After listening to it you can only wonder what she'll do next!

Conclusion: The more you listen, the more you'll love it!

Loose
Loose by Nelly Furtado (Audio CD - 2006)