Format: DVD|Change

on 29 September 2014
I watched this twice in one evening after receiving it. Yes, it was that good. I had always admired Christopher Bruce, and these three pieces did not disappoint. "Swansong" was very powerful, and showed the callous brutality of torture and emphasised the " two against one" scenario to add to the impending doom of the poor prisoner.
"Rooster" cannot fail to capture the interest of everyone as the music of the Stones is so memorable.
I was lucky to buy this as a used copy,so it was even better value. However, I would definitely buy more. The trouble is that dance DVDs seem to be expensive compared with other genres. I shall look for "previously owned" and then I can buy more.
Thoroughly recommended.
on 17 September 2013
Christopher Bruce has really taken dance expression onto another plane. Considering some of the pieces are now 20 - 30 years old, they are or were, the vanguard of ballet. For me, 'Rooster' is the best of the 3 pieces because of the Rolling Stones music - an inspired combination.

If you like ballet, even purely classical, you will appreciate how ballet moves have been incorporated into a modern interpretation - the dancers are of course first class too.
on 23 March 2015
This is true brillance in dance. Everyone in our family loves Rooster, including my youngest and he's not easily pleased when it comes to dance! The movement of the dancers really adds to the sense of the music. Swansong is such a moving and poignant piece. Its shows the power that dance has to convey a clear message to its audience
on 9 December 2013
I have been waiting to get this ever since i left college many years ago, and now i have it YIPPEEEE!!!. The second i got it i watched it over and over again and i'm still not fed up of it.
on 9 September 2015
Positive reviews encouraged me to buy this DVD and how delighted I am with it. Even though these recordings date from 1983/89/94 I love the choreography, which still feels contemporary with a classical dance base. The choreographer, Christopher Bruce, was choreographer and then artistic director of the Rambert Dance Company between 1979 and 2002.

I enjoyed all three pieces – other reviewers have already praised 'Rooster' with music by The Rolling Stones, and 'Swansong'. My particular favourite is 'Silence is the End of our Song', described as “a moving ballet danced to songs from Chile and dedicated to the Chilean people and their suffering”. It sounds grim but the sad parts (my husband looking up from his paper commented on the obvious melancholy being portrayed) are interspersed with pieces of wonderful lightness that make one ache about the denial of freedom and joy caused by war. Christopher Bruce received an Amnesty International award for such work.
on 9 September 2014
Every one should see Rooster at least once in their lives - brilliant danceall round (and funny!!)
on 24 April 2015
Absolutely Fabulous.
Please take a bow.
on 19 January 2015
Good quality. Would recommend to others.
on 20 February 2012
The ballet on this DVD which I absolutely love is 'Rooster' a series of dances to songs of the Rolling Stones.
It starts with 'Little red Rooster' and ends too with a chicken joke. Hillarious clever and very musical - I cant stop watching it.
on 17 January 2014
Bought this for my daughter who is studying Swansong for her GCSE - arrived quickly and was packaged as described.