Published on 22 July 2006 by Mr. Roger Atkin

3.0 out of 5 stars A PURE DIAMOND...................WITH A GLITCH...
Wow....we are ALL so excited about this masterpiece, yes? Personally I am absolutely thrilled with this UNIQUE release. But hey, it can't be all that perfect now can it? Indeed not.

Everyone who has this 007 case, check this out : Insert the OHMSS DISC 1 and on chapter 17 if I can remember correctly you'll find something very interesting. BAD SECTORS. Trust me,...
Published on 17 Oct 2006 by James Shuttler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this worth getting even if you own them already?? Yes, I believe it is., 22 July 2006
This review is from: James Bond - Limited Edition Attache Case Ultimate Editions Box Set (40 Discs) [DVD] (DVD)
I am one of those people that bought all of the Bond films individually on DVD when they were released back in 2002. They are good discs in themselves and sat proudly on my shelf. Then I read about this collection and the work that had been done by Lowry Digital in restoring the films and got excited. After much soul searching I decided to bite the bullet and buy this new set and sell my old copies on eBay. Boy am I glad I did! The quality of these new releases is nothing short of stunning. Starting with Dr No, the remastered image is simply sublime with not a speck of dirt and colours vibrant and lush. You really could believe that this is a movie which was made only yesterday. The first 9 Bond movies have benefited the most from the restoration process due to their age, so once you reach 'The Spy Who Loved Me', whilst still showing an improvement in picture, there isn't the same remarkable difference in quality. I was happy to see that my personal favourite, 'The Living Daylights', still looks considerably better/sharper than the older version and the inclusion of a DTS soundtrack on all the films really makes a difference when watching with a good sound system. It is true that all of the extras from the previous discs are included here, but there are additional new features for each of the films. In some cases these are minor extras, in others they are more considerable (Roger Moore has recorded individual commentaries for each of his 7 films and they are a joy to listen too). So.. is this worth £200? Yes I think it is. The case the DVD's come in is very nice and not in the least bit 'tatty'; buying them as a set is certainly cheaper than getting them all individually; and to think this is the best these movies will ever look, to watch them in any other way is just a crime.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest DVDS.......EVER!, 12 July 2006
Ok, for a start - these are NOT the same movies that were previously released on DVD - in the sense that hundreds of thousands of particles of dirt have been removed from these prints - watch the "special edition" of Live and Let Die and witness such "dirt", then compare it to this release which makes this 33 year old movie look as though it was filmed this year! I've read independent reviews that have called these the greatest release of ANY movie on DVD. The picture quality alone is said to be more than a match for Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Each movie will have a 5.1 and DTS soundtrack - who in their right minds wants to watch the likes of "Goldfinger" and "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" in mono?! Many people have missed the point here, these aren't shameless re releases - if you've ever watched a film with a DTS soundtrack you'd not be questioning these DVDS or their merits. You think you've seen Sean Connery play Bond, watch these and think again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Future Bond!, 9 Aug 2006
G. Gould "Gary Gould" (Ashingdon, Essex) - See all my reviews
Like many Bond fans I had to think twice about upgrading my Special Edition Bond collection to the Ultimate Edition. I finally decided to take the plunge last week after watching a poor print of "You Only Live Twice" on ITV4 and then realising my SE version wasn't much better! The UE attache case arrived yesterday and it is is simply sublime. Forget about the packaging, the newly restored picture and soundtrack on each film is worth the £200 fee alone. I have previewed the start of the first 6 Bond movies and all are brilliantly presented. In addion, I also watched the documentary about the restoration process and I have to agree with Lowry that the early films "look set in the 60's and not made in the 60's". I may have a 50" plasma and a nice cinema sound set-up but you would notice the difference on a PSP screen - the difference is that astonishing! You have a licence to buy with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST EVER collection in the world!, 17 July 2006
Mr. A. C. Stansill "Adam" (Pontefract, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Just received the ultimate collection today and all i can say is WOW! - I was liturally sat with my Jaw wide open when i saw how clear the picture was on Doctor No.

The picture was crystal clear just as it advertised, and the special features are amazing, deleted scenes that I didnt know even existed and everything a bond fan wants, you can even watch the opening titles in (textless mode) which means you get rid of the text on them and you can just watch the pictures.

I would advise any bond fan to purchase the ultimate editions as soon as possible so you dont miss out!!

5.0 out of 5 stars To put the record straight, 1 Jun 2006
Yes I too hate endless re-releases of films. However, the James Bond Ultimate Edition set is really worth it for people (like me, who didn't snap the older DVDs) to buy this set if they so wish.

The reasons are clear; the new restoration process by the world's leading frame by frame restorer apparently makes the films look much more recent. They have all remastered DTS tracks, which will upset those who like mono, but will delight DTS lovers - myself one of them.

The new extras are probably not that much more exclusive than we had before, but the fact that they are including the old extras means you're not missing anything. Also, Licence To Kill, Goldeneye and Tommorow Never Dies are uncut, meaning we get to see the proper violence that was cut by the UK censors. I think OHMSS is also going to be the correct print (which must mean the old DVD was the wrong print - but I'm not sure).

I know people who purchased the old set will be annoyed, but for those who didn't this is probably the best time to get the Bond series - the obvious HD release will be amazingly expensive and will not increase the levels of picture quality to justify paying 5x as much. So, I think this is the best release to get for the next few years. The purists and the current DVD owners will be horrified, but hey - don't they know Hollywood by now?

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Ultimate!, 4 Sep 2006
I first learned about MGM's project to restore the Bond movies to their original state, two and a half years ago, in a piece written for the New York Times.

The Californian company Lowry Digital have executed the work on behalf of MGM by scanning the original camera negatives of all 20 films at a rate of four seconds per individual frame, and at a resolution which is four times the rate of all previous standard DVD resolution scanning.

These ` 4K Masters' are the foundation for these Ultimate Editions.

The results are truly remarkable - the first three films in the series benefit the most, displaying the most dramatic results.

Dr No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger look beautiful -as if they were shot yesterday, and simply set in the 1960s.

The most recent films of course are no different in appearance from the previous Special Editions on DVD, since the source material was brand new at the time the transfers were made onto disc.

A word about the attaché case: I was wary about this when I first came across an image of it on the internet a couple months back, fearing it would turn out to be a cheap Taiwanese gimmick with mediocre [at best ] craftsmanship. How wrong can you get! This case is very very nice indeed, solidly built and beautifully-finished, sturdy enough to carry regular traveling gear [ really! ] and of some physical weight, a real surprise.

Three words only to conclude my remarks:

Worth - every - penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Cost Me No More Money, 17 July 2006
I received my JB Ultimate Edition and it is worth every penny, from doing a review through the 40 DVDs! I sold my Bond Vol 1 - 3 Special Edition Collection on eBay for $150 more than I paid for the Ultimate Edition, and I had watched it many times. So I got this great new edition and put $55 dollars in my pocket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed reaction, 12 July 2006
C. Hill (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great boxset and I will finally have a nice neat copy of every single bond film. But I think they should make space in the case for when the other films come out. Otherwise, after Casino Royale and beyond come to DVD, they'll just look out of place...then there'll be another boxset everytime a new film is out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it., 24 July 2006
I had a few of the individual Bond dvds, but I sold them on ebay earlier this year, and the James Bond Collection has been sitting in my amazon basket ever since. Took the plunge last week and am not disappointed.

So far I've watched Dr No and From Russia With Love, the picture and sound quality is great. I must admit that when Bond films are on the BBC or ITV over X-Mas or on Bank Holidays I take them for granted and don't watch them or only catch bits and pieces.

With this set you can watch them at your leisure, and then go back and watch all the extras, if you want.

Ofcourse any Bond DVD collection is never going to be complete and I'm sure that in years to come the DVD format will become outdated, but if you want to enjoy all the Bond films to date NOW, then you can't go wrong with this collection. However, if I had the previous collection I would probably stick with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars License to thrill, 5 Aug 2006
Mr. V. Roopanand "solo skywalker" (South Africa) - See all my reviews
I stay in South Africa and i just received this package in mint condition today. The whole set is just too amazing for words. If you owned the previous set like me, i suggest that you sell yours. There is a huge improvement in the picture and sound quality and is definitely worth the upgrade. These movies now look and sound like they were made yesterday. The dts sound adds a whole new dimension to these movies. Also for Bond enthusiasts, there are new documentaries. This is a must have for any dvd collector. Donot hesitate, order now from amazon.co.uk, and you won't be dissapointed. Currently not available on region 1.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›