5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh reading to stand alongside your favourites
Published 11 months ago by Endymion

2.0 out of 5 stars Why?
Published on 13 April 2010 by Bezza

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh reading to stand alongside your favourites, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Schubert - Winterreise (Audio CD)
Having struggled with Winterreise for many years, I find Ms Schafer's approach fresh and revealing. Here is an artist who really 'sings' the songs. She embraces the individuality of each song and refrains from over-emphasising the inherent mood of melancholy and isolation. A weary sense of resignation is perhaps most evident. Some might resist the female voice for Winterreise as it is so closely associated with many of the great male lieder singers. However, I would encourage those interested in Schubert, lieder and singing to listen with open ears. This disc has given me great pleasure and encouraged me to return to the several other highly respected recordings in my library. So much so that I am on the hunt for additional versions. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why?, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Schubert - Winterreise (Audio CD)
A lot of work for very little result. Winterreise is not a song cycle for women. Not the woman's voice, as I once heard an excellent counter-tenor rendition of this work. But, all technical considerations aside, it's just not female. Not even über-butch lesbian. I heard Schäfer sing this in concert too and, if anything, she was even less convincing live. With the best will in the world - and I wanted to like it - I simply couldn't match the narrative, the tone of voice or the observations made, with any woman I had ever met or even imagined. That aside, the soprano female voice is too shrill for this repertoire, losing the words the minute it moves into the head. So you can't even hear what she is singing about, even if it did make sense coming from a woman's mouth. It doesn't. It really doesn't.

If I could, I would award Schäfer zero stars for her crassness and lack of musical intelligence. My two stars are for the outstanding playing of her accompanist who, incidentally, carried her like a baby when I saw them live together. Perhaps I caught her on a off-night. Perhaps she just doesn't know the work that well. After all, you'd have to have extremely scant knowledge of it to attempt to sing it like this. In the interests of balance, her recording company should ask Goerne to record and tour Frauenliebe und Leben.

Schubert - Winterreise
Schubert - Winterreise by Christine Schafer (Audio CD - 2006)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available