5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting British Talent
Wow, that is all that can be said about this album. Scott's approach to his songs is masterful and not in any way pretentious. His songwriting doesn't pander to the mainstream (unlike many other solo artists these days). If you like acoustic guitar based music like myself then you will recognise that Scott is a truly talented player using a combination of styles...
Published on 20 Mar. 2007 by Nazboy

3.0 out of 5 stars Listenable, but no classic...
I bought this album on the strength of 'Elusive', which is a suble, beatiful song, and in my opinion, the only song on the album which draws any kind of comparison with the oft-name-checked Jeff Buckley.

It seems to me that, 10 years after Jeff's death, far too many people are still searching for any artist with a guitar and falsetto to replace him. Well, Scott...
Published on 12 Jan. 2007 by booler

5.0 out of 5 stars Currently Jammed in my Player is ...., 28 Oct. 2006
Mr. James S. Reynolds "Jim" (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
First heard Mr Matthews play a set on Zane Lowe's show on BBC Radio 1, quite late one evening and found myself listening - hard. The uncontrived, creamy voice is what drew me in but his solo guitar work also poses a significant threat. I do not comfortably cruise the folkie wastes but discovered Nick Drake last year ('River man', late night on Radio 2, sublime) and the parallel is unavoidable. This is no bad thing.

Amongst the current glut of shandy-swilling, floppy-haired-acoustic-guitar-worriers that strip-mine the adult-oriented ghetto, Scott Matthews stands tall and talented, with dignity intact. No hyphens required.

The album is suitable testament with little in the way of filler. Even the whimsical jams and stray ideas that are slipped between many of the tracks keep me engaged.

This is the only Album that I have bought from new this year, at full price - generally I am the kind of tightwad that grabs stuff from boot sales, a year after it has 'gone cold'. With this one, I did not want to wait that long !

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
I loved this album .Had not heard Scott Matthews before but I am so glad to have discovered him .Loved this album ,especially the sitar playing on it .Great music making.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album from a fantastic artist., 19 April 2014
Nigel Bailey (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
This album got 5 stars, the songs are worth 6, but the bits in between are a bit messy. One of my top 5 favourite albums.
Just in case you're interested the other 4 being:-
Hawkwind's "Levitation",
Edie Brickell's "Shooting rubberbands...",
Van der Graff Generator's "Still Life",
and Lindisfarne's "Nicely out of tune"
....but then I love John Martyn's "Solid air", and Paul Simon's "Graceland" and........ Why on earth did I limit myself to 5 ???

4.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasnt surprise, 1 Jun. 2011
F Arnold "sweet fa" (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
Got this for a ridiculously cheap price. Bought it on the back of a few good reviews. It is very interesting and the influences are exactly as described by other reviewers. A little gem (Elusive, Dream Song, Passing Stranger are all excellent songs) spoiled only by the ridiculous idea of listing all the lyrics in the insert in one long paragraph with no separation as to track except for a little almost unseen dot. Points off for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I ever bought. Sublime., 6 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
When you get to my age you begin to think you've heard it all and then along comes an album like this one. If I was ever going to be shipwrecked, there are some albums I would clutch to my chest as I drifted to my desert island. Revolver, Aja, So amd American Idiot come to mind. But I would let them all go to save Passing Stanger.

5.0 out of 5 stars The soul of a minstrel revived, 24 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
Buckley would surely have smiled to see this lad appear on the scene. "Elusive" is just delicious, and haunting, the first time I heard it I wept, I too mourn for the loss of Brother Buckley. I later smiled to think that Scott will be mucically heading in a similar direction, but nevertheless doing all his own map-reading. "Dream Song" and "Earth to Calm" pander also to the Buckley sound but retain enough individuality to stand on their own two legs. The rest of the album is a mishmosh of musical styles but you can hear his influences coming through strongly in much of it, Robert Johnson, Led Zep, Weller, Beatles, Joni Mitchell and so on, "Sweet Scented Figure" is a godd testament to that last comment. It's a fantastic debut, and he is gonna be as big as he wants to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
I hadn't heard of this guy but heard a track on the radio that I liked and shazamed it. I bought the album and love it. Every time a track of his plays on my ipod I check to see who the artist is and it's this guy - so I would totally recommend this cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
Absolutely love this album. So chilled out and really relaxing. Would def reccomend.would buy other albums by this singer. Stunning. I think if u bought this album for someone who hadn't heard him before they would be hard pressed not to like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD by a great artist, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
Fantastic Début CD. I can also highly recommend What the night delivers, Elsewhere and his yet to be released fourth album after hearing a few of the tracks at a recent gig in Nottingham. Definitely an artist you should go and see live.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album from an under-rated Midlands singer songwriter, 2 Nov. 2014
Chris Bentley "PassItOn" (Sutton Coldfield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
Great album from an under-rated Midlands singer songwriter. "Elusive" is absolutely beautiful and showcases Scott's very soulful voice. A nice mixture of blues and wistful acoustic.

Passing Stranger
Passing Stranger by Scott Matthews (Audio CD - 2006)