Published on 18 July 2006 by Dr. D. B. Sillars

1.0 out of 5 stars No, no, no - don't be persuaded
I originally bought this album 20-odd years ago on vinyl, when all the Yes people were doing solo albums. I recalled being vaguely unimpressed by all but one track at the time, but thought since I've listened to and enjoyed a huge amount that's completely different (White Stripes? Fantastic) that maybe the reviews here were right, and that this was really better than I...
Published on 3 July 2004 by C. Arthur

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly inventive debut solo album from "Relayer" keyboardist, 18 July 2006
Dr. D. B. Sillars - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Story Of I (Audio CD)
The name Patrick Moraz will always be remembered at least as interim keyboardist for Yes, during Rick Wakemans sabbatical between "Tales From Topographic Oceans" and "Going For The One". Moraz's contribution on his sole Yes album "Relayer" was sensational however. The band became funky and jazzy under Moraz's incredible arsenal of keyboards. After "Relayer", all members of Yes took time out to each record solo albums. Moraz's was one of the best. A concept album, as was the norm in those days, this was still an audacious and musically breathtaking album. But, you could see it coming. There was a logical progression in Moraz's technical ability and compositional expertise through his previous projects, the bands "Mainhorse" and "Refugee". It was obvious from those that he was a rare talent and would someday produce something really special. This debut solo album is it.

For many "The Story Of i" was Moraz at his peak. It is regarded as one of the best keyboard dominated prog albums from the 70's. Utilising Brazilian percussionists, superb jazz-rock musicians of the calibre of Jeff Berlin and Alphonse Mouzon and of course Moraz's huge collection of keyboards, this debut solo album was brimming with colourful musical ideas. Taking in prog, jazz, classical, latin all mixed together into something that was very much his own. Nothing sounded like Moraz's synths. All sinewy and frenetic! The instrumentals are the strongest parts, but the songs written together with the much maligned John McBurnie work very well within the structure of this essentially single continuous composition. The best moments are; the superb jazz-rock workout of "Indoors" with Moraz trading furious synth lines along with guitarist Ray Gomez, the beautiful ballad "Best Years Of Our Lives" and the absolute highlight, the epic, prog masterpiece that is "Rise And Fall". That is a prime showcase of what a musician of Moraz's calibre could do with state of the art electronic keyboards.

This remaster is a vast improvement on the original CD version, which sounded very flat and thin. This new version sounds much fatter and there is extraordinary detail in the multi-percussion parts. The really good news is that all the material from the original gatefold sleeve is reproduced throughout the 12 page booklet. This includes story, lyrics, full credits and even the hand-drawn notes on each track taken -from the insert sleeve. There are also archival photos from the recording session, including a nice photo of Moraz with the late Robert Moog.

Moraz has spent a lot of effort in producing this re-release. The attention to detail in the remastering and the packaging is to be commended. At last this classic recording gets the treatment it truly deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album!, 28 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Story Of I (Audio CD)
This is an extraordinary album. It's a multi-layered mixture of rock and South American percussion (Paul Simon wasn't the first!), with Patrick Moraz producing an amazing variety of sounds and rhythms which couldn't be improved upon in today's computerised age. 'Best Years of our Lives' is a brilliant song by anyone's standards, and now that this single piece of music is on CD, it can be listened to without the annoyance of having to turn the record over! The follow-up to this was Out In the Sun, which is as awful as this album is brilliant. This is definitely one of my all-time favourite records of all time, Smashie!

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique fusion, truely memorable, 24 Jun. 2000
John Peter O'connor - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Story Of I (Audio CD)
Recorded while he was, albeit fleetingly, a member of Yes, this album is a fusion of mid-seventies euro progressive rock and South American percussion music.
The result of this melding of styles and Moraz's edgy compositional style is a wonderfully refreshing work that sounded like nothing that came before it.
While the style varies from piano backed ballads to South American rhythmed rock, the whole album hangs together as a single work and the music is always on the move and holding the listeners attention.
My personal favourites are "Best Years of Our Lives" and "Dancing Now" but, there is nothing on here that I do not like very much.
If you liked the album "Relayer" from Moraz's time with Yes, then I am sure that you will like this CD.
I cannot think how this album could be improved so it gets top marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely underrated masterpiece, 6 Sept. 2010
Steven Jenkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Story Of I (Audio CD)
What an album this is! Moraz was a little known artist when he brought out this masterpiece debut album. The timing was perfect, it being when electronic music was coming of age - progressive rock was in its pomp, and the great bands like Yes and ELP were the kings of the age.
Moraz never replicated this early success but there are musical phrases in this work that have remained with me since the very first time I heard it in the 70's. Moraz went on to be a journeyman keyboard player with a number of major bands, replacing his contemporary Wakeman in Yes and later joining the Moody Blues. The point is he is no fool on keyboards and his blend of electric jazz was bang on the money in this concept album.
Take my word for it - this is a peach - and its reintroduction to my library is for me akin to the return of the prodigal son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll over Rick Wakeman, 11 July 2004
This review is from: The Story Of I (Audio CD)
I was really worried when I saw a revue slating this album but then I read the bit about him being a iPod user. So that's all right, then. I remember this album being an absolute joy to listen to when I was at school and, now I've managed to find a CD copy, I hope to be able to enjoy it many times more.
He's right about the lyrics, though. Supplied (I'm trusting my unreliable memory) by one John McByrnie (whohe?) but when you're Swiss and don't speak English very well (He didn't, I have a recording somewhere of an interview he gave as part of the album promotion) you have to rely on hired help. Could have been worse, he might have asked Jon! (Sorry, Mr A.)
Lots of layering on this album over a rather hastily recorded percussion track picked up in Brazil. Interesting idea which certainly gave a distinctive flavour to the album but what you should be listening to is the way the parts for keyboard, bass and guitar interweave around and pass the lead to each other. This is definitely one for a decent pair of headphones.
It's a concept album but never mind, they were a fashion of the time and who paid attention to the stories anyway? It was the music which was important and this was one of the best musical albums of the day played by one of the most versatile performers who, as this album shows, wasn't afraid to experiment with different styles of playing. I particularly remember that he gave a wonderful performance at Montreux one year with a set played on just a piano. Wish I could get hold of a copy of that!
Many "out takes" from this album were used as the core of the next one "Out in the Sun". It shows. He never, to my knowledge, really recaptured the feel of this one and ended up being buried in the Moody Blues (eeerk!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it or lothe it, it is a sonic masterpiece, 7 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Story Of I (Audio CD)
I love Patrick Moraz, this is heavy going if you aren't prepaired though, I was howeve, as I have it on the black stuff, but because of the highly complex stuff going on, sometimes as many as ten or more stereo keyboards on the go at one time, the vinyl copy really struggles holding a stylus down.

I recommend this if;
You have life insurance
You are not easily shocked
You are into experimental music
You get on with your neighbours
You can notify next of kin before playing

I can tick all the above, I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Story Of I (Audio CD)
I first bought this album when it was originally released on vinyl, as I recall the advertising posters at the time had the quote "makes Hannibal's crossing of the Alps look like a day trip to Brighton", and that pretty much says it all. Multilayered, complex and very different, on first listening it was a complete shock to the system, but give it time and ensure you read the story that it is trying to tell, (originally on the inner sleeve, missing from early cd releases, and now, thankfully, included in the more recent cd release), and you can picture everything in your mind. Unfortunately Moraz pretty much "peaked" with this incredible album but, in truth, it's so good he would of struggled to match it, let alone better it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the only moraz cd to own, 9 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Story Of I (Audio CD)
had this on vinyl and saw it very resonably priced and went for it.Still as good as i remember it and fond memories of my old record shop in town.Story Of I

5.0 out of 5 stars some indifference to the lp, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Story Of I (Audio CD)
unfortunately there are certain cut outs on each track where the music should flow into the next track smoothly there's a pause

4.0 out of 5 stars The Story of I, 26 July 2006
K. Wilkinson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Story Of I (Audio CD)
First heard of Patrick through YES, and was not sure what to expect from a solo album. But to say the least it was not wasted money. Recently got hold of a cd version to relive my days as a student. I found the album to be a good introduction to his music.

Story Of I
Story Of I by Patrick Moraz (Audio CD - 2011)