4.0 out of 5 stars BEST F1 GAME SO FAR
Published on 14 Aug 2006 by Alistair Murray

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the 05 version
Having played both games, I clearly rate the 06 version as an overall step back from the previous version.

You do get the awesome V8 scream, the timing graphics have become easier to read and the crash logics may have become more realistic. I also do like the test set-up mode. That is a smart and realistic idea.

But the driving experience in...
Published on 27 July 2006 by Late Braker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST F1 GAME SO FAR, 14 Aug 2006
This review is from: Formula 1 2006 (PS2) (Video Game)
I wondered how different this game would be to F1 05 and although there is not a major difference in the graphics, which are very good in both games, there is a difference in the handling. F1 06 has much more realistic handling than 05, which means that it is not so easy to barge your way past the other cars and they race you. Schumacher has already bashed me off once. Also there is now a career mode and new classic F1 cars to unlock. Nice to see the time difference onscreen just like the real thing. All in all a good update, although drivers are already changing teams again or leaving altogether !

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly there, Studio Liverpool, 31 Mar 2007
Mr. M. Dickson "MD" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Formula 1 2006 (PS2) (Video Game)
I am a huge F1 fan and own three of Studio Liverpool's previous F1 games; F102, F104 and F106. "Why the gaps?" you may ask. Well because I have always realised the potential the programmers have for a well-designed F1 racing experience but they had never quite managed it and so I gave them a year off each year to improve...I don't like wasting money! Although, I must admit that I rented F1 2005 from a rental store (based on F104's potential) just to see what it was like. It was better but still not quite there (still too many bugs).

So now I own F1 2006 and I have to admit, I was plesantly surprised. The handling of the cars is a HUGE improvement (I'd even go as far as calling it exciting - I use a Speedster Fanatec steering wheel by the way). The way cars accelerate now does seem to take account of the smoothness of the track (i.e. if it's bumpy, the acceleration is staggered) and also way the car reacts to the rumble strips is superb - you're even punished if you take too much curb at a corner; the car will spin just like a real F1 car. Cars oversteer AND understeer and when you apply opposite lock to an oversteering car, it actually affects the car (unlike previous versions!) Also, in F105 I could easily lap 2secs faster than other drivers - this doesn't happen in F106 game - I do love a challenge and this game has it.

The AI "when racing" has also improved immensly - I say "when racing" because if you're practising or qualifying, then the AI is awful. If you slow down to let a car behind pass you (say you're mentally preparing for a quick qualifying next lap, it will pass by about 10ft in front and then slow down until you pass it back again!! Also, there are some corners where opponents take ages to accelerate out of it (same problem as in previous versions). Also, I would have liked to see cars in front actually take different driving lines to try and stop me slipstreaming them (like in TOCA 3 - worked v. well). So yes, it's an exciting, improved and enjoyable game...but it still has way too many bugs:

- When exiting the Canadian or French GP pit lanes, as soon as you pass the speed limit line you should be able to drive away at any speed you wish (well, in the real world anyway), however in this game and for some unknown reason, you accelerate to about 110 and then the car suddenly limits itself to 60mph!

- As in previous games, they still can't get the damage physics right. Don't get me wrong, they have improved a lot (wobbly wheels, punctured tyres (new addition), losing a wheel) but as with previous games, if you hit the car in front square in the rear, 80% of the time your wheel starts to wobble instead of your front wing taking damage.

- The Renault car is undrivable, purely because the engine has a horrible whirring sound which really grates on the hearing (there's always one crap-sounding car in each F1 game). The other cars sound great BTW.

- If I knock my rear wing off, I should be able to "slowly" return to the pits to have it replaced...in the real world. But no, it automatically retires you from the race.

- Altering in-game brake bias and traction control was easy in F105(directional control up = TC up one setting). Now it's a nightmare: to move TC up one setting, you (whilst driving at 200+mph!) push up once or twice(!) on directional control, then left to alter - to change the brake bias by one setting can take upto 4 moves..why so many instead of the previous 1 S-Liverpool??

- You can't save (or load) your own chosen car setups (i.e. if qualy turns wet, you can't retrieve a previously-saved wet setup or a set up from another similar track.

- I want to alter wing settings one degree at a time, not 5% each time!

Parade lap is a semi-welcome feature (you can turn it off thankfully), but it won't let you pass a car in front. Now, I know you'd incur a penalty in the real world but isn't this game supposed to be a simulation??

- My racing TC is set to 0%, 55% and 65% - 0% because if I spin, I want to give it full throttle to spin the car around the right way. However, it is impossible to spin the car in this game!

- Personal flaw: on approaching the pits, I'd love to apply my own speed limiter and drive into my own pit box not be subjected to a tedious autodrive function. I guess this is down to PS2 limitations but if not, sort it out Studio Liverpool!

- Bugs are annoying!!!

To summarise, hugely improved game but still contains those stupid bugs S-Liverpool seem to be renowned for. I am glad I bought it though and I dare say I'll probably break from the norm and buy F107...or rent it first! Top top: if you want an F1 "sim", go for TOCA 3 - the 80s and 90s F1 cars are spot on (2000s are crap, v. unrealistic).

4.0 out of 5 stars F1 2006, 21 Aug 2006
S. J. Sharp (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Formula 1 2006 (PS2) (Video Game)
First of all I have to say great game I generally fingd that driving games for me don't usually work on the Playstation because of my disability As when I play Formula 1 games generally I usually end up hitting the barrier before I even complete my first lap. Without the so called driving aids F1 cars are impossible to control (and I find this frustrating as I like to at least have a shot at scoring points and winning races) on most games so in future Sony it may be a good idea to include them in future releases.

I had been looking to buy a more modern f1 game (as I wanted one with the new rules and points system because my old game for the PC has the old 12 lap qualifying system and 6 points positions whereas now there are 8.) for some time) but due to findding them to hard I hadn't bothered with them F1 06 is different at last I have found a game with up to date rules that I am compatible with. If you have a physical disability and you love racing games then f1 06 is the game for you As for carrer mode I have always wanted a game with that option and F1 06 has sorted that too. Thank you F1 06 for solving my needs

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but still need work!, 8 Aug 2006
This review is from: Formula 1 2006 (PS2) (Video Game)
The game overall is very good. The car behaves very realisticly but there are still quite some issues.

First of all, the cars can be designed much better eg, Ferrari's rear wing plate should be white and not red. Same with the tyres. They can look much better and realistic.

2. On the settings of the car, the bar is red and once it goes over the black numbers you cant see your setting. The guys there should think to turn the numbers white once the red bar went over them.

Other than that, i liked the fact that the car can get damaged very easily which is quite realistic.

To conclude, the game is MUCH better than the 05 but there are still some issues (the ones mentioned above eg) that can be improved and make the game close to perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars For real fans., 30 Oct 2006
M. B. Walters "matstar86" (Woking) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Formula 1 2006 (PS2) (Video Game)
I am a huge F1 fan and have been buying these games for years. I found last year to be a let down, as was the last season, so the game can be only as good as the series in real life. This game, since I brought it has not been out of my PS2. The graphics are super, the career mode is improved and the cars are more realistic than ever. So what, there is no option to be a technical director, if its not there you cant miss it, why would you want to be, the point of this game is to drive 200mph down the main straight at Monza! Overall, great game for real F1 fans who will watch a race, then jump straight in to their own driving career in the switch of a Button. Bring on the next version!

4.0 out of 5 stars amazing- let down by bugs, 26 Nov 2007
This review is from: Formula 1 2006 (PS2) (Video Game)
really good game, very fast and amazing AI of the other drivers. pit stops are the best ive seen in any game. only let down by the bugs that make it crash all the time. if you want to change your fuel strategy it will freeze up and youll have to reset the console. a big rubbish but the gameplay makes up for it. not as pretty as GT4 but so fast and fun and way better how other cars react to you-shove them off, damage them and they have to pit, they move out of your way if youre lapping them etc

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, 27 July 2007
This review is from: Formula 1 2006 (PS2) (Video Game)
This game is brilliant, i cant keep my hands of it. I experiencxed it on the PSP first but then bought the PS2 versaion which was even better. The quality is fantastic and very realistic. The career mode is also good. I wish you could change the tyres if the weather changes however dont let it put you off, if you like exillerating racing games or are jusat a fan of F1 i would get this, its just a shame the 2007 version will not be coming out on PS2! only PS3!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best F1 game in years, 17 Feb 2007
This review is from: Formula 1 2006 (PS2) (Video Game)
I'm a big F1 fan and have been frustrated by the lack of decent games in recent years. I've tried plenty on all different formats yet for me nothing had beaten F1 97 for the Playstation, now a 10 year old game! That was until I picked up a copy of this however. I really wasn't expecting much and just bought it because of the low price but I'm so glad I gave it a chance. The sensation of speed is incredible, I've never played anything quite like it, as you get to the top speeds the screen vibrates and blurs, at first it can be somewhat distracting but as you get used to playing the game it just becomes natural, you really feel as if one small mistake could end in a major accident.

The beauty of this game is the realistic racing, I'm sure no game could claim to be a more realistic driving simulation than Gran Turismo, but that game lacks an awful lot when it comes to overtaking action. With F1 2006 you really are risking your race every time you attempt to pass another driver which is brilliant because it means you actually care when someone ploughs into the back of you at the first corner.

There are plenty of settings to suit every gamer, so you can enjoy the game whether you want easy pick up and play action or a true to life simulation. Personally I'm enjoying career mode, a race seat with Super Aguri is certainly a challenge!

I'd recommend this game to any F1 fan and fans of real motor racing games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely SUPERLATIVE!!!, 4 Nov 2006
Meet Peet (Sydney, Austraila) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Formula 1 2006 (PS2) (Video Game)
This is my first ever contribution to an online forum. I felt compelled to share the superlative experience that is F1 '06!!! There is no other driving game I have played that gives you the same sense of speed, the same feeling of driving on the edge or the same intelligence in the AI of the other drivers. They constantly challenge and threaten your position and cannot be just bunted out of the way. You feel all this especially when you use the cockpit perspective in Medium or Hard mode.

It is true that the time penalty system in Career mode can be annoying. I suggest however building up to the Career mode by first doing the Quick Races and Championship Weekends and the Single Season. By doing these first you get to know the tracks and the cars. Then when you take on the Career mode it becomes the final test of your skill and ability. So to repeat, don't do the Career mode first unless you're prepared to be patient as you come to terms with the time penalties which are imposed if you're found guilty of putting a wheel too far off the track.

The added advantage in choosing these modes other than Career mode first is that you can choose the car you drive which means you can be competitive immediately. In Career mode you have to start from the bottom, i.e. the more lowly placed teams, and work your way up. So again, patience is required as you would expect when you're building your career.

Whatever way you go nothing will prepare you for the intensity of the duelling you constantly have with the other drivers. They never give up and keep coming back at you right up until the chequered flag. It's such an adrenaline rush and is only matched by the satisfaction you get when you manage to actually pull off daring moves and place well at the end of the race or on occasion - unblelievably - even win!!!

So a big hand and huge thanks to Studio Liverpool. You know having had this thrill of dicing with the flintiest of AI drivers on the F1 '06 tracks I would actually expect to be disappointed were I ever able to experince the real thing. So get F1 '06, you'll be missing nothing by not being an actual F1 driver, your only missing out if you don't experience its brilliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing F1 game!, 1 Dec 2008
technojunkie (Lutterworth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Formula 1 2006 (PS2) (Video Game)
Simply the best simulation racing game on the PS2! I have played this for hours and the graphics and the ride is smooth, you cannot fault this game. The sound effects are also spot on

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Formula 1 2006 (PS2)
Formula 1 2006 (PS2) by Sony (PlayStation2)
24.99