5.0 out of 5 stars 'Blackwater Park' Part Two ? As good but not better.
Published on 4 Nov. 2002 by nickrich

3.0 out of 5 stars Not their best...
In my opinion this is their weakest album but it's worth paying £3.00 for the title track alone.
Published on 1 Nov. 2010 by Ms. Mandy L. Bacon

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Blackwater Park' Part Two ? As good but not better., 4 Nov. 2002
Opeth have once again managed to produce an exceptional album continuing the musical progression I thought must have reached it's creative pinnacle with 'Blackwater Park' (one of the albums of all time !). I say 'continuing' rather than 'improving' as I feel that this slightly less immediate than 'BP' and takes a little longer to absorb. Even so, the material here is streets ahead of the majority of other bands out there. How anyone is supposed to compete with these guys is beyond me as they keep raising the standards with every release.
Opener 'Wreath' starts at breakneck speed (no blast beats though, thank god), the guitars and rhythm section truly crushing. Drops down a gear later on and you hear the sound of bongos, no less, then picks up and bolts off sounding ever so slightly like classic Dokken with a George Lynch-esque guitar sound. This doesn't mean they've mellowed out. Far from it, as the song segues into a classic Opeth like finale with recurring, driving doomy riff, very atmospheric and a great way to kick things off.
The title track follows immediately with another driving, powerful intro. A minute or so in and we get our first true acoustic interlude, as beautiful and moving as anything Opeth have given us before. Slightly jazzy in feel, Mickaels vocals really are on top form both clean and rough. This track is going to be a true Opeth classic. All 13 minutes of it.
'A Fair Judgement' continues with the light and dark movements, interspersing quiet verses before launching into an almighty anthemic style hook. As intricate and varied as anything previous, it keeps the mood fully on the 'dark and doomy' side.
After 'For Absent Friends' (an acoustic instrumental), we have 'Master's Apprentices' which begins with a riff that Candlemass would be kill for. This is heavy. And it rarely lets up throughout. Possibly the best track on the album. More of the same intricate time and mood changes but never ever sounds contrived or too calculated. That is the joy of Opeth. They write songs of inordinate length but it all feels so natural, knowing every section fits perfectly with the next. This track finishes with a rollocking final guitar fest, maintaining the recurring hook riff till fade out. Fantastic.
Last track is 'By The Pain I See In Others'. Absolutely rocks out of the blocks. Best part of the song is the mid section, reminding me a little of Alice Cooper's 'Steven'. Ever so slightly 'disturbed'. In fact, keep the CD running for a while after you think it's all finished for some bizarre vocals, sounding like wails from a Middle Eastern mosque.
This is Opeth doing what they do best so don't expect any Anathema style shifts in musical direction. 'Deliverance' offers more evidence to support the view that Opeth are one of the best metal bands, certainly the most creative, around. While I found 'Blackwater Park' to be more immediate, 'Deliverance' is more like the first four albums, in that I expect to be finding new things in each song over the months to come.
What more can I say? Find out for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly The New Gods, 20 Aug. 2006
J. Halstead "BlackMetal41" (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deliverance (Audio CD)
Its amazing that when you research Opeth, nothing stands out head and shoulders above the rest. Everyone likes something different, no one can agree which is their best CD or even their best tracks. Sure, I've got my own opinions and I'd give 5 stars to all their releases to date (apart from Orchid that I haven't heard yet - sorry). My favourite is Deliverance - It was the first Opeth CD I bought and maybe thats the reason. A lot is said about this being the "heavy" half of the Deliverance/Damnation releases but this isn't true. Its not as heavy as Morningrise or Blackwater Park and is more accessible than those releases. Its just that I can hum along to this one and enjoy the superior musicianship. My particular favourite that doesn't often get mentioned is "A Fair Judgement" particularly for its lyrics that had a personal meaning to me. All the 6 tracks here are special - There's no filler, nothing is too long or too ambitious. Their last CD, Ghost Reveries is the progression from this CD, but this one's better. Would be a fantastic introduction to the band if you're curious, and would prepare you for Blackwater Park, their other classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars OPETH DELIVERS AND DELIVERANCE IS CRUSHING!, 23 Jun. 2011
Gabriel Hill Harriss "Dionysus" (Bedford,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deliverance (Audio CD)
Personally, this is my favourite Opeth Album so far. I love their dynamics and the atmosphere they create when you're on one of their epic journeys is astounding! I think they are probably one of the only bands I can honestly say that have the perfect balance of mood changes in their music, but Deliverance is the real scorcher from the flamethrower arsenal they have. I love the heavier stuff on here, because they create it so effortlessly and perfectly, and musically its so intricate and mesmurizing, it never grows dull, much like their other albums. The final track is one of my favourites, but all of the album is virtually perfect in my opinion.
Although everyone seems to love Blackwater Park the most, I would say this is a more straightforward album, having it's Opeth stamp of twists and turns, but more accessable and heavier.
I just hope Heritage can live up to Deliverance standards but I would be happy with a mixture of Still Life, Watershed, and Deliverance, possibly the best example of all their influences in three albums..

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Band On The Planet, 12 May 2009
This review is from: Deliverance (Audio CD)
What I love about Opeth is that they are like no other band on earth. There is noone close to what they do. And whilst I acknowledge other amazing bands as being on par with them, there is noone to compete with them, and if there was Opeth would still be head and shoulders better.
Another amazing thing about Opeth is that none of their fans can agree on what album is best. Whilst Blackwater Park is touted as their 'classic', and don't get me wrong, it is incredible, Opeth manage an amazing consistency on all their albums.
This isn't my favourite, but it's still phenomenal. It took me a little while to get into, but was so worth it, as it always is.

Whilst I read that Wreath is Mickael Akerfelt's least favourite Opeth track it has really grown on me recently, and I would say it is one of my favourite tracks on the album. Deliverance is the real masterpiece on here though, over 13 minutes in length and with amazing riffs throughout and great vocals. Oh, and a drumbeat to die for at the end. Perfection.
A Fair Judgement is a bit lighter in terms of the intruments and vocals, but is another great song, lesser known, but fantastic nonetheless.
For Absent Friends is a short instumental that provides a break before the band launch back into their death/prog assault on Master's Apprentices and By The Pain I See In Others is another solid track.
They don't really write bad songs, the arrangement is complex yet listenable, and they are truly some of the most competent musicians in the world.

I saw them live recently at Hammerfest 09, and they were staggering. The crowd reaction is odd, as people don't really mosh to Opeth, they just stand and stare in awe! But it's good to be able to appreciate a band that trancends the boundaries of metal, folk and so many others without having to leap around, not that I'm against moshing obviously.

As one band said the following day "Did anyone here see Opeth last night? It makes us all want to just go home and give in."
Whilst being a funny start to their set it was also very poignant, as it is totally true. Opeth are unbeatable at what they do, and I hope they continue making music for as long as they can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opeth are one of the best metal bands in the world and Deliverance proves this, 30 Sept. 2013
Mr. A. J. Tennant "Metalhead" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deliverance (Audio CD)
Deliverance is Opeth's sixth studio album, following the band's highly successful 2001 album, Blackwater Park. It was recorded between 22nd July and 4th September 2002, at the same time as Damnation, which was released the following year. The two albums contrast starkly with one another, purposely dividing the band's two most prevalent styles, as Deliverance is considered to be one of the band's heaviest albums, whereas Damnation experiments with a much mellower progressive rock-influenced sound.

The band originally intended for Deliverance and Damnation to be released as a double album, but the record company eventually decided against this and released them separately, approximately five months apart from one another in order to promote them properly. The track "Master's Apprentices" was named after the Australian hard/progressive rock group The Masters Apprentices. The track "For Absent Friends" (the only instrumental piece and the only short track on Deliverance) was named after a song of the same name, originally appearing on the album Nursery Cryme by English progressive rock group Genesis. At the end of "By the Pain I See in Others", the final note fades slowly and ends at 10:38. Silence follows until 11:58, followed by two reversed verses from "Master's Apprentices" at 12:19 and 13:15. The iTunes Store names "Master's Apprentices" and "By the Pain I See in Others" in the wrong order.

Like all of their other albums, Opeth's 2002 album Deliverance is an absolute must to buy for all music lovers in that it has the usual variety of musical styles and is considered to be one of the heaviest albums by the Swedish metallers. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers every time!, 31 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Deliverance (Audio CD)
Upon first listen of this album my thoughts were, "Oh my god this is amazing!" and it just keeps getting better with every listen.

Track 1, Wreath, is a brilliant opening track and brutal as hell. The brutality continues into the title track, an epic 13 and a half minuter which has, in my opinion, the greatest Opeth riff ever written at the end of it. To be honest I would recommend this album for that riff alone it will keep you head banging for hours and hours.
Track 3, A Fair Judgement kills the brutality to fully show off Mikael Akerfeldt's brilliant singing voice and gives the growling (and the headbanging) a break. Well the head banging not so much as it still gets pretty heavy in places, the end of this track also having a brilliant riff. For Absent Friends, classic Opeth short instrumental filler, nice acoustic track to get you ready for the mind-blowingly heavy track Masters Apprentices. This is one of Opeth's finest tracks ever written, heavy as hell with a nice acoustic middle that shows no signs of turning heavy again, no progression back into the growling death vocals, and then boom goes straight from one to the other, smacking you square in the face in the progress.
The final track By The Pain I See in others is yet another brutal heavy epic Opeth song, complete with some of the best acoustic guitar work on the album in my view.

Overall, this album keeps getting better and better with every listen. I would fully recommend this (along with Blackwater Park) as the albums to get if you are starting to get into Opeth. No filler tracks at all on this album, even the filler is hardly a filler!

4.0 out of 5 stars Progressive Swedish death metallers return to their roots, 7 Nov. 2002
Deliverance is an interesting listen for the long-time Opeth fan. Listeners who are new to the band will see this as masterful death metal with a touch of the progressive about it, in the form of occasional breakdowns containing clear voiced singing and acoustic guitars, not to mention the odd Doors-inspired solo. However, for those versed in Opeth's long and illustrious career Deliverance seems to be lacking something of the epic, depressive melancholy of such masterpieces as Blackwater Park and Morningrise (in my opinion their best work), and instead focuses on producing a collection of straight-up death metal songs, albeit long and intricate with the occasional acoustic flourishes (though not as much as on previous albums). At first listen this album seems to be Opeth by the numbers, but subsequent analysis will reveal that there IS something missing. Ackerfeldt's voice is, as usual superb, though his growl is far more prolific on Deliverance than his clear throat. With the possible exception of 'For Absent Friends' and 'Master's Apprentices', Deliverance, to me, lacks some of the emotion of their old work, and leaves the listener with sort of an empty neutrality since the music is neither depressive nor angry though it is still a good technical death metal album. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars HEAVY HEAVY, 15 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Deliverance (Audio CD)
This is often thought of as the bands heaviest album. However I don't think this particularly myself. I do feel the heavy parts are heavier than normal but there are plenty of soft acoustic parts and the song Deliverance also has one of the bands most beautiful melodies ever, so melancholic. it also ends in the most excellent break down ever too.
the album has some very calm moments too. Masters Apprentices has the most hardy rememberable riffs. It is heavy and crushing and reminds me of some older bands style riffs.
truly excellent album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opeth do it again with a great follow up to Blackwater Park!, 18 Nov. 2002
By A Customer
The other guy pretty much said with his review, in short this album rocks!!! After listening to the first track I was worried that there was not going to be any mellow acoustic movements on the album but I was wrong. The best track has to be "A Fair Judgement". It is a heavy song but with a dark mellowness to it and no roaring voices (although I enjoy these they would not suit this track). Not going to waffle on - buy it and be amazed!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Their finest hour, 4 Jan. 2009
Tg Hayes (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deliverance (Audio CD)
Put simply, this is as good as heavy metal gets. These are gorgeously dark, superbly arranged and played songs that somehow manage to remain accessible. The highlights have to be Deliverance and A Fair Judgment. If you're new to Opeth I suggest you start somewhere else as if you use this album as your starting point it can only be downhill from here. This is as close to metal perfection as I've got!

Deliverance
Deliverance by Opeth (Audio CD - 2006)