5.0 out of 5 stars An Opinion, 24 Oct 2008
This review is from: A Fine Day To Exit (Audio CD)
An album that isn't all fun and frolics
Because life is not all fun and frolics

I bought this album on a whim; I had heard Anathema's name being thrown around in relation to the doom acts My Dying Bride and Paradise lost. At first, I wasn't quite sure that I liked it. I wouldn't say I have a particularly refined taste in music but, to me, it was not heavy enough to appeal to my taste in loud distortion, not complex enough to appeal to my taste in prog and not dark enough to appeal to my taste in really depressing music. It sat awkwardly on my musical palate somewhere between Opeth's "Damnation" and Radiohead's "O.K Computer". It was during about the fifth time I listened to it all the way through that I realised I loved A Fine Day to Exit.

I was in a dower mood, lying in bed, ignoring the world outside. I pressed play on my C.D player, and Pressure began. The lyrics rang out in the chorus; "I don't care where you go, you won't get away from me".
I couldn't believe that I hadn't picked up on the words before. I kept listening. I could not have been wrong about how deep, dark and delightful this album is.

A Fine Day to Exit is not the kind of thing you bring out at a party. It is the kind of album that touches on pure emotion. The lyrics are dripping with melancholy, laced with a sense of loneliness and disillusion. This is demonstrated beautifully in my personal favourite track, Underworld. Compared to the vast amounts of vomit spewed out by untalented, uninterested rock bands, this album is a breath of fresh, although cold and bitter, air. It isn't perfect but I can't complain about a single track,,and I can't think of many albums that I can honestly say that about.

I recommend listening to Pressure, Underworld and A Fine Day to Exit to see if it appeals to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Day to Exit, 18 Aug 2006
This review is from: A Fine Day To Exit (Audio CD)
I bought this album a few years ago and it is one of the few album that I have never got bored of, and in fact it seems to get better rather that worse the more I hear it. All of the songs on the album are very good, however highlights are, Pressure, Release, A fine day to exit and Underworld. Les makes a welcome addition to the band, providing the signature piano riff of opening song Pressure. You can't really hear him in all songs but anyone who has ever heard Cruelty and the Beast will know he is a talented keyboardist/pianist. The rest of the band are all amazing as well. Original drummer John Douglas has returned, and replacement Shaun Steels has been packed off to join fellow doom metallers My Dying Bride. Most of the songs are as usual written by guitarist Danny, however John's contribution of the title track is probably one of the most memorable and moving songs on the album. Vincent has improved as vocalist, although his song writing is still not as good as his brother's. His contribution, Leave no trace, is quite a good song, but somewhat trails off toward the end. Anyway, if you are a fan of their old stuff, this album is more rock than doom metal, but its a good album, and if you weren't sure about the band before, you might like this. Anyway, one final thought... If you were going to drown yourself, you wouldnt take off all your clothes first would you?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Day to Enter My Collection, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: A Fine Day To Exit (Audio CD)
As stated by others it was not the first time I listened to it that I loved it. But by the 3rd-4rd time, my god, what a great piece of music. From first to last, from the calmest ones to the speediest of them, they're very good. And what's better (yes it gets better)? They form a very well sequenced album. Recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars :), 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: A Fine Day to Exit [VINYL] (Vinyl)
One of my favorite albums in vinyl. Right on time. I havent listen to that yet because I have no free time. Actually I have listen to that a thousand times via cd.

A Fine Day To Exit
A Fine Day To Exit by Anathema (Audio CD - 2006)