5.0 out of 5 stars Gomez at their usual amazingly high standard
'How we operate' is a fine compilation of wonderfully easy going tracks, that have Gomez's fantastic harmonies and originality running throughout.

Each one of their albums has a different sound and back bone that runs through it. This one has a great combination of upbeat and melancholy tracks, and provides even more proof that Gomez are still continuing to...
Published on 7 May 2006 by C. M. Hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars The Gomez Delusion
Published on 25 Aug 2008 by Penky

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to form, 28 Nov 2006
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
Since Bring It on, i havent really noticed any singificant musical triumphs from Gomez, but after hearing this album, my faith is renewed! I've listened to it over and over and, what can i say, other than its a brilliant album ful of great sounding songs. I can't say there are any tracks i dont enjoy - Notice, How We Operate, Hamoa Beach, Girlshapedlovedrug - they're all fantastic. This is certainly one of my favourite albums of the year and well worth the [...]!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Classic Gomez, 1 April 2012
Mike Pearson (Hampshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
The album is a great listen, so many fab tracks. I love playing this in the car or out running.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Gomez Delusion, 25 Aug 2008
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
Undoubtedly the poorest Gomez album to date. It really lacks the energy of the earlier stuff. As a long time fan, I was really looking forward to this, but it seems that they got out of the wrong side of the bed the morning they started recording this. It really screams "we want to please as many people as possible, and sell more records in America" through it radio-friendliness. There are a few good tracks on the album, but it is far outweighed by some poor showings in paricularly the very chronic girlshapedlovedrug, which resonates of some commercial one-hit wonder pop band trying to make it!!
If this is the only Gomez album you own, don't fret, the earlier stuff it absolutley rockin'. Buy that and you won't be sorry.
I only hope that for the bands next outing they can turn it around to their former selves. I'm really looking forward to seeing them at the Electric Picnic, but I hope that there is not too much material from this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to their very best!, 26 Nov 2006
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
This great album reminds me of why I started listening to Gomez in the first place. It's up there with Bring it on. For anybody new to the band it's a perfect introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice touch boys, 29 Jun 2006
Mr. D. Carty "David Carty" (In a town near you) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
What a cracking album from a band that I was steadily losing interest in. Highly recommended...I'm so glad to see that the boys are back on form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to form is no understatement, 15 May 2007
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
The reviews so far have very muched summed up my feeling for this fantastic album. Gomez were hailed as the next big thing upon their breakthrough in 1998, and lived up to it with a strikingly unique debut album. After the release of the follow up, Liquid Skin (and the equally brilliant Machismo EP), they went through a sticky patch which eventually culminated in the release in 2004 of Split The Difference, which is largely considered their worst effort to date (only a few tracks save it from being truly dire). An interesting live album followed, along with a Best Of that had all the hallmarks of a record company cash in. They finally released their follow in in How We Operate.

Then came How We Operate, their fifth album proper. The collection is bursting with life, and is indicative of a band rejuvinated after a long period of seemingly being lost. One feels that they were beginning to feel slightly oppressed by their previous record deal, for one reason or another. However, spurred on by an ever loyal fan base (which is constantly expanding across the pond), they've pulled off a career saving album. It's not just the fact that its full of top notch songs (Girlshapedlovedrug, See The World and the title track spring to mind), but its the way they are delivered and captured that make it really special. It evokes a passion that has been sadly missing in their recent efforts, and their self-belief is once again evident.

Whilst it does have its flaws - Hamoa Beach represents a lazy rehash of Doves track There Goes The Fear - nothing can spoil the party. As long as they keep producing albums of this standard and quality, and don't lose the passion they so evidently now have in abundance, they will be around for a long time yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don`t believe W Grant!!!, 1 Aug 2006
Mr. M. B. Tupman "C`EST WHAT?" (Doncaster, S. Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
I am an ardent Gomez fan and have been for many a year and I was driven to write this due to the remarkable comments made in the aforementioned review.

This album will be loved by any Gomez fan, and any fan of good music. The production of the album, the first studio production since a label switch, really shows them in a less complicated more pixiesque light. Gomez still have everything - great melodies, great harmonies, great blues, and they still kick ass live. This album is yet another containing numerous tracks that absolutely ROCK on the stage! Look, JUST BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars How do Dolphins Operate?, 6 Jun 2006
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
Basically, Gomez have recorded the soundtrack to Summer 2006. And it seems like they did it quite effortlessly, whilst sharing a glass of pink champagne with a dolphin.

What a stunning album. Breathless and beautiful in equal measure, with a big dollop of crunch every now and then to make sure you don't drift off.

I say old chap, I think you should get it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Hm...., 15 Jun 2008
You are reading my username (Adelaide, South Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
If you read my review of Split The Difference you'll know how much I loved that album, and Gomez are a great band. Gomez have had plenty of hits and misses over the years and this unfortunately is a miss. Sure, Notice and the first half of All Too Much are great but then the rest seems well, kind of bland. But Gomez are ones to keep doing new and crazy things so I'm looking forward to the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars the SIXTH studio album from Gomez, 29 Jun 2006
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
It's always difficult listening to new material by one of your favourite bands. The anticipation and expectation often end up exceeding the delivery on first listening, and this was certainly the case with How We Operate. But after a few more takes, I've found some great moments and classic Gomez magic in this album.

I agree with the previous reviewer that the Country & Western influence is fairly obvious in a couple of the tracks, and not being a C&W fan these were the tracks that I least liked (See The World, Hamoa Beach, Chasing Ghosts With Alcohol & Don't Make Me Laugh).

But there's still plenty here to please both the hardcore Gomez fan as well as the occasional listener. The opener, Notice, is a song of real beauty, rolling back the years to recall Tijuana Lady from the debut Bring It On. The title track, featuring Ben's trademark vocal, has the catchy, live-favourite qualities of the classic Get Myself Arrested. The single, Girlshapedlovedrug, sounding a little like early Razorlight (Golden Touch anyone ?), is an obvious single release although Gomez haven't always released the most obvious singles in the past - e.g. Sweet Virginia from the fantastic Split The Difference ! The opening bars of Tear Your Love Apart are very Libertinesque, but then jumps around between styles (with the refrain being overly-poppy for my liking), a very confused production.

Every Gomez album has it's opus (think Rie's Wagon, Buena Vista, In Our Gun) and Charley Patton Songs is this album's offering. A melancholy vocal over a bubbling tune with echos of imperial chinese melodies thrown in for good measure - it's a masterpiece !

Woman! Man! is another of those tracks that promises much, clever lyrics and smart direction but for me it's horribly let down by the 'sha la la' refrain; listen for yourself and see what you think. All Too Much features the most Pixies-like rock'n'roll moments on this album, probably the most obvious hint of Gil Norton's hand on the controls. Cry On Demand, the penultimate track, is a classic Gomez hotchpotch of a track (think Chicken Out) featuring changes of style, tempo, direction and an annoyingly catchy bit of whistling, but it seems to work in the way that only Gomez seem to be able to pull off.

All in all this is not my favourite Gomez album, but it's got enough of their trademark brilliance, even though only in patches, to make it a must have for anyone who's liked any of the previous FIVE Gomez albums. Don't take my word for it, invest a tenner (or less on Amazon !) and see for yourself.

ARRAY(0xb5bf4ee8)

How We Operate
How We Operate by Gomez (Audio CD - 2006)