5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Debut, with a fond nod to the past, 30 May 2006
T. Gunawardena "tdag" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Campfire Punkrock (Audio CD)
Frank Turner, formerly the lead vocalist of hardcore band Million Dead, surprised many when he declared that he was moving into the realms of folk music. Indeed I must admit a certain level of suspicion, having been a keen Million Dead fan myself. For those of you that don't know, Million Dead were a hardcore band that produced awesome tunes with a bitter, perceptive lyrical bite.

It is clear that Frank hasn't lost his desire to ingrain his songs with a sharp insight and whilst the songs don't have that initial vitriol characterised by the hardcore genre, the lyrics retain their sense of defiance, and are bathed in the warm glow of his more melodic folk setting. It's still angry, but in a much more subtle way.

So many people get excited about so-called intelligent lyrics by other artists/bands, but Turner really does set himself apart in terms of his message and coherance:

"And it seems a little bit rich to me,

The way the rich only ever talk of charity

In times like the seventies, the broken down economy

Meant even the upper tier was needing some help.

But as soon as things look brighter,

Yeah the grin gets wider and the grip gets tighter,

And for every teenage tracksuit mugger

There's a guy in a suit who wouldn't lift a finger for anybody else" (From Thatcher ****ed the kids)

"And yes I'm in four-four time, and yes I use cheap cheap rhymes,

But I try to make a sound my own.

I know I don't break new ground, many have travelled this sound,

But I try to make it sound like home." (Nashville Tennessee)

For a MD fan, it took some getting used to, but its well worth it. Thatcher ****ed the Kids being my favourite, it evokes strong memories of his "Deadz" past, and shows so much promise of a bright future. Turner demonstrates that folk music is about more than fat blokes in tweed sweaters (no offence meant there).

Expect more from your music. Buy this CD.

"A simple scale on an old guitar, and a punk rock sense of honesty" as Frank would put it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank Turner - Campfire Punkrock, 17 May 2006
Kevin Whitehead "jozefpunk" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Campfire Punkrock (Audio CD)
From start to finish this CD is brilliant. It is full of wit, charm and lyrical genius. Nashville Tennesse is a brilliant opener for the CD and sets the tone for the rest of the CD and it is a really uplifting song. Thatcher Fucked the Kids is genius and "violent bunch of bastard little shits..." gets me laughing each time but its also true. Cassanova Lament is a beautiful number and in my opinion better than the demo version by miles and the added violin makes the song more full. All in all i recommend this to anyone and everyone. Pure class!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Statement of Intent, 27 Mar 2008
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Campfire Punkrock (Audio CD)
Frank Turner is a real gem. His voice is excellent; his music may not be ground-breaking, but the combination of wit, intelligence and crushing honesty in his lyrics make it a joy to listen to. Indeed, the words and the enthusiasm with which Frank performs make him - for me - head and shoulders above any music in todays charts.

Campfire Punkrock is, thoroughout its five tracks, a statement of intent. The five songs here are about playing music, being a young man, and saying what you feel. It is not as polished as either of his albums, and the songwriting isn't quite as strong or original, but on this CD Turner sets his stall out and gives everyone a taste of what is to come. In particular Nashville Tennessee and This Town Ain't Big Enough For The One Of Me are among my favourite Frank songs - the first for its clarity on what Frank wants to do, and the second for it's amazing and totally spot-on description of growing up in a small town.

If what I've said here makes you think there's a chance this might be for you, I can't explain how much I think you should buy this CD. If you are already a convert, and own one of the albums, then I'd say get this. It's more of the same, and although in some ways the albums contain more polished songs, this is still definitely Frank, and Frank at his most raw. And that makes it very, very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars frank at his best, 23 Jun 2009
J. M. Nuttall "joe" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Campfire Punkrock (Audio CD)
i personally think that this is the best record franks put out.
every song is brilliant. its definalty a EP worth gettin hold of

Campfire Punkrock
Campfire Punkrock by Frank Turner (Audio CD - 2006)