on 27 July 2009
When it comes to portraying the gritty reality of the 'other side of the street' the British leave the Americans in the dust!

No high tech palaver or cute one liners given by people who have just walked off a catwalk at a modelling show. Vincent is about real people in real life situations. The series is as much about Vincent as the situation in each episode. The suporting cast round off the quality of this itv production.

Ray Winstone is superb as the lonely PI, dedicated to doing the right thing by his clients, never letting his staff down while desperately trying to get a life. Hard as nails on the outside but soft marshmallow on the inside.

Worth every penny and now at a bargain basement price.
on 18 April 2008
I never saw this series when it was on TV and ordered it on the basis of the other reviews. I am so glad I did. The acting is excellent with realistic captivating stories. I watched all the episodes back to back as I thought it was so good. This is real value for money.
on 2 August 2007
Ray Winstone is an absolute gem in this role. I have never really been a big fan of his but now I am sold. The beautifully crafted acting from all the players sets the tone for this series. Gritty, disturbing to watch and emotionally raw in some scenes I was absolutely hooked from the first episode, so much so that I purchased from England the Series 1 & 2 Box set because the second series has yet to screen here in New Zealand. Please let there be a third as I am anxiously waiting to see the future development of all the characters involved.

Kiwi fan
on 1 October 2010
The first series of Vincent begins with a real punch and the team of characters are wonderful. I wish I could have given it five stars and if the performances were my only criteria I would. The problem is that the TV company didn't really nurture and develop the concept to it's full potential.
As so often in British series characters drop out from series one to series two. The absence of the divorce saga and Phil Glenister in particular is a real loss to the shape of the programmes.
Ray Winstone is wonderful as the sympathetic hard man, a private eye fighting vested interests(god knows how he manages to pay his staff!) He shows perfectly how good men end up acting in irrational revengeful ways.
Manchester provides a brooding atmospheric backdrop,some of the storylines are intense and moving, others seem just a bit too tired and formulaic.
I can`t help feeling that if this had been an American production it would have had the TLC it needed to make it into something really fantastic. As it is, it is damn good tele but not life changing like The Wire or the first two series of Trial and Retribution.
on 22 April 2009
It is now some time since these few episodes were made and released in the UK. They show how good TV drama CAN be as opposed to so much of the so called "entertainment" churned out with apparently little thought in ANY area - plot, casting, soundtrack, camerawork, etc. Vincent still ticks all the boxs for entertainment for grown up viewers. Highly recommended once again as has already been shown by the other reviews.
on 13 January 2008
This is what excellent UK TV is about gritty,passionate characters and there is no better than Vincent. Ray Winstone is a gem & worth the price of the boxset alone.Solid storylines with a great support cast leaves you wanting for more. It is a tad disappointing that UK programmes series run so short as most are around 8 episodes compared with a USA drama of around 20 to 24 is typical. Hope to see more in the future with Vincent as I will be happy to pre-order it. No reservations with this set and should be an instant purchase for anyone who likes quality TV.
on 28 September 2010
Superb series, but . . . BE WARNED . . . running time is 444 minutes, NOT the 999 minutes indicated here.
on 10 March 2009
A friend of mine watched avidly every week and said it was a fantastic series, so we bought the box set.
I love the series, and wish it would return - certainly a lot better than most of the TV junk right now.
on 2 December 2014
I missed most of this series when it was on (working on call). Now going through and I now know why it stuck in my mind as a good series. Brilliant acting by the whole cast and interesting to see how the talent has risen with most of the actors
on 17 August 2010
I AM A BIG FAN OF RAY WINSTONE, I'VE WATCHED HIM GROW UP ON THE SMALL AND BIG SCREEN FROM CARLIN IN SCUM, ARNIE IN MINDER, TO THE PRESENT DAY. I MISSED THIS WHEN IT WAS ON TV BUT FINALLY PURCHASED THIS SET AND IT IS ABSOLUTLEY BRILLIANT! IT MAKES A CHANGE TO SEE A PRIVATE DETECTIVE SERIES AND THE FORMULA IS SECOND TO NONE. YOU SIMPLY CANNOT START TO WATCH AN EPISODE AND STOP IT HALFWAY THROUGH TO WATCH THE REST LATER, IT HAS YOU GLUED AND IN SOME CASES, ON THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT! (WHICH IS VERY RARE FOR ME!) CREDIT MUST GO TO THE WRITER AND THE SUPPORTING CAST WHO MAKE YOU REALISE WHAT A GOOD TEAM VINCENT HAS AND HOW THEY ALL LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER. RAY WINSTONE PLAYS THE LEAD WITH SUCH NATURAL EASE AND ALL THE STORYLINES ARE ALL FANTASTIC. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE IS THERE WERE ONLY 8 EPISODES MADE, WHY? I DON'T KNOW, BUT WHOEVER MAKES THESE DECISIONS MUST PLEAD WITH THE WRITER TO WRITE SOME MORE. EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT A RAY WINSTONE FAN, YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO MISS IT!