Size: 3.0 inch|Colour Name: Silver|Change

on 1 September 2012
The Delkin Pop-up Shade is a neat simple solution to a problem that plagues everyone who uses a digital camera that doesn't incorporate a viewfinder in that it completely eliminates sun glare allowing the shot to be properly composed and the resultant photo checked. It's such an essential addition to our camera that I wonder that the camera manufacturers do not include it as standard on their products. It would also be a useful add-on to a dSLR for use with Live View and for checking and displaying the photos taken. It consists of two parts; a transparent film that affixes to the rear screen of the camera to protect it from scratches and the pop-up shade itself. It is easy to fit and simple to use. Pulling the rear of the shade upwards allows the two sides to spring outwards and into position providing cover from both sides and above. Pushing the two sides in reverses the process. Sliding the entire shade sideways allows it to be removed leaving just the protective film in place. However, there seems little reason to remove the shade for even when conditions mean that it's not needed it doesn't interfere with camera use in any way and when folded flat its so slim that our camera is still easily stored in its case with it attached.
on 28 July 2012
This little gadget is nicely presented and doesn't add to the bulk of the camera noticeably at all .

Its very unfortunate that it simply doesn't work! In fact the reflections were worse than on the original camera screen! At least I could just about discern some of the scene I was trying to photograph with that. With this, all I could see was my own face and the background.

It would only be useful if you want a good quality mirror attached to your camera.

John

PS - I have since resolved the problem of reflectiveness by purchasing a nonreflective screen from another manufacturer and have discovered that with a bit of fiddling the Delkin screen provided can be removed and the rest of the gadget stuck over the top of the non reflective one.

The gadget now works well and I've bought another one for my wife. However, only three stars are awarded as I think Delkin could and should have fitted a noin-reflective screen themselves, so saving the extra expense (albeit small) of a separate purchase and the fiddly business of fitting a new screen and removing the Delkin one!

I've written to them to this effect too as I feel that this nice little gadget has been spoiled by a lack of knowledge/investigation by the designer.
44 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2011
As with all small digital cameras at times the position of the sun in the sky reflects on the screen and makes it difficult to see what is being photographed. This product works as a shade.

It is very easy to stick on to the camera.

The downside it that it has to be opened and closed every time and also that it makes the camera thicker and possibly more difficult to place the camera in its case.
on 18 May 2010
Item arrived within 48 hours. Fitting is easy - just remember to make sure that the screen on the camera is clean around the edge where the shade sticks on. This is a great device, and it solves the problem of reflections and glare from the camera screen on bright and sunny days. There are times when you can do without the shade, and this has been catered for in the design - you can simply unclip the shade from the stick-on mount - brilliant! And when folded down, the shade hardly adds to the bulk of the camera, so it still remains compact.
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2009
Camera manufacturers seem to have forgotten the usefulness of the viewfinder these days, even on quite pricey models. Perhaps they live in lands where there is permanent shade, unlike the rest of us, who have to experience on-screen blindness due to glare. One solution would be a big black hood that we could throw over our head, like Victorian portrait photographers, but for those that might find that procedure ostentatious or impractical, another option is this nifty pop up shade.
I leave mine permanently attached to the camera, folded flat, as it is quite slim, though the cover can be removed without affecting the adhesive base of the device. I'm on my second as I sat on the first. The hinged part broke, but it had protected the camera itself from damage, so it was a small price to pay.

It can be permanently removed without leaving a trace, which is reassuring. It is a tenth of the price of an add-on viewfinder and often makes a dramatic improvement, though in strong light one can still feel the need for a hood. Overall, though, it is well worth the small investment.
on 8 December 2010
I have used these Delkin Pop Up Shades on several digital cameras for several years. In my view they are essential to enable the viewfinder/screen to be seen in bright - and in not so bright - conditions. Further, they act as shields for the screen when shooting in rainy weather.

I have the Shades on my compact digicams and on my DSLR (Olympus 600 series). One useful aspect of the Shades is that they can be removed and turned around 180 degrees to suit the user when shooting with the camera vertical. The sun can be blocked from either side. This is especially useful with the DSLR.

It is amazing that camera manufacturers have never come up with a similar idea fitted as standard. Japanese friends have been particularly fascinated by the idea.

I can recommend this product wholeheartedly.
on 24 October 2009
Fantastic piece of equipment, makes such a lot of difference ,so simple but so effective. Before we bought this my husband was struggling to see the LCD when the sun was out ,in fact it was impossible and then we saw a lady when we were on holiday using one and we asked what it was and immediately I got home I went on Amazon and got a great bargain. They retail about £20 in Jessops camera shops
on 12 June 2011
The shade seems reasonably well built, and I don't really have any trouble opening it, though I wonder how frequent use will affect it in the longer term (having said that I haven't had any problems with build quality in the short time I have had it). The main problem is that it doesn't seem to provide much useful shade, or, more accurately, it seems to replace problems with the sun with problems caused by reflections, and my experience so far is that it functions quite well as a mirror. I'm not sure if this is because of the reflective nature of the plastic screen that you stick on to the camera (it's difficult to check, as, once you've stuck the shade on, you can't easily remove it to check performance with just the shade and then replace the screen again). A number of other reviewers seem happy enough with it though, so I wonder if its effectiveness depends on the particular camera it's used on (though I'm not sure why that should be the case). Maybe my reaction will become more positive once I have used it in a variety of situations and if so, I'll come back and update my evaluation.
on 6 September 2009
The shade is a little different to that in the photo (the logo and side flaps are different) - but it is great. I saw an identical one in a high street store for £20 - so even with p&p this is still great value.
It has a clear screen that fits directly over your cameras screen, so your camera needs to be clean before you peel of the protective cover and the adhesive layer. Even though it is adhesive the cover will slide off, but after a while it will inevitabley become less sticky. I have an older, but high spec, digital camera and this is perfect to stop the glare on the screen. A really great addition to my camera.
on 27 April 2012
I like to protect my view screens on my cameras. I had one of these on one of my cameras for almost 4 years - lost the pop-up; and so am replacing it - if it weren't for losing the pop-up; it'd still be on and functioning! So, as I have a number of cameras - have purchased more for the ones without. These last years - and protect your view screens; and the pop-up; cuts the suns light from preventing you seeing your view screen.
I recommend these - and you'll not be disappointed.