‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Anthemic, 16 July 2006
OT "blap" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billy Talent II (Audio CD)
Anthemic? Does that word even exist, I dunno. But thats definatly what you're getting with this second album from Billy Talent. Most tracks on this album you just cant help but being drawn in by the cleverly written hooks and choruses, repeating the instantly catchy lyrics and bouncing your ass along to the off time and obscure guitar riffery of d'sa.

More melody and probably more focus on this second album. They sound as if they are now operating tighter than ever.

They defiantly haven't diversified from the formula that worked on many levels from the first album, but more so refined it to the pinnacle.

This second album had ALOT to live up to, and it sure as hell does satisfy. My most favourite songs are, This suffering(aggrestive, amazing riffs), Worker Bees (fast paced, classic BT vocal approach), where is the line (touching ska style), covered in cowardice (tight aggrestive performance) and surrender (introspective, calm & calculated).

Definatly worth a buy.

I have a feeling a 3rd album from Billy Talent is going to be very different from what we've heard. very different - for the good of the bands evolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless and addictive songs, 9 Jan 2007
James Andrew - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billy Talent II (Audio CD)
I had never heard of this band until last year when I heard the song "Try Honesty" from their first album. I couldn't get the song out of my head so I bought the new album straight away. I must have listened to it over 100 times by now. There are no dud tracks on this album as every song has original melody that makes you want to hear them again and again.

What sets this band apart from other bands is their brilliant vocal harmonies. Where many hardcore bands scream raucously and out of tune Billy Talent's three vocalists stay in key there are harmonies on some songs. Even when Ben screams he manages to stay in tune.

The production on this album is absolutely superb. There is amazing clarity to the guitar tone that is refreshing in a genre where high gain distortion is commonplace. Ian D'Sa's playing is exceptional and you would not believe there is only one guitar being played on some songs. The bass playing is also interesting enough and can actually be heard in the mix just as clearly as the guitar.

I cannot recommend this album highly enough. It's difficult to put this into a genre. It has elements of hardcore punk but much more melodic in general. If you like punk rock such as Transplants, Green Day or System of a Down then I would seriously recommend you check out this band!

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy is BACK!, 6 Jun 2006
D. Woodhouse (Blackpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billy Talent II (Audio CD)
Well all I can say is that OMG BILLY TALENT IS BACK! and with a vengence :-) To follow up their UK tour there is a new album. I have been lsitening to this today and let me say any Billy Talent fan will not be dissapointed! Their unique style of music has wow'd me again - I love every track on this album just as I did with thier debut album "Billy Talent".

It opens so well with thier new single "Devil in a Midnight Mass" and carries on impressing from then on. Any alternative music lover will drool over this fantastic album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Talent II, 9 July 2006
This review is from: Billy Talent II (Audio CD)
the follow up to their 2003 debut (under the name of billy talent at least) and they are just as good as they were then

The band have a very good, somewhat unique style of aggressive alternative punk rock, lots of shouting, some powerfull guitars and great lyrics. The band work very well together especially D'sa (guitar), Gallant (bass) and Kowalewicz (vocals) to create a powerfull vocal combination.

standout tracks for me would be Devil in a midnight mass, this suffering, worker bees, pins and needles, surrende, the navy song and covered in cowardice. well worth buying for a fan of alternative music

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 11 July 2006
This review is from: Billy Talent II (Audio CD)
Let me ask you; when was the last time you purchased an album and felt 'wow I'm part of something here'![...]It's that kinda 'I wish everyone could hear these guys, but at the same time a want to keep them all to myself feeling'. I read another review of this album that said Billy Talent were 4 years ahead of anything else around at the moment, which is so true. This album has so many layers to it, it's not one dimensional, but on the other hand it's accessible, catchy and original. I think these guys have the potential to be huge...

5.0 out of 5 stars II ?, 30 Jun 2006
This review is from: Billy Talent II (Audio CD)
If you are like me then the rubbish art work on the front cover will scare you ,and the guitar at the beginning of "Devil In A Midnight Mass" (which is the SINGLE track!?) ..which sounds like i dont know ..someones been eating their weetabix ,thats all i can say. Oh yeah, not to mention the title of the album ..which isnt exactly drawing me in either, is it? i mean "II"? ,2? what the hell? ..i reckon he said he'd call it that to someone as a JOKE, and then lost a bet to them or something.. seriously,"II"?

Okay ..to cut a long story short i went and bought the album and its good.

while there are some slightly weaker tracks on there (I guess I'm using their first album as the benchmark..) you ABSOLUTLY CAN NOT miss the following tracks:

Surrender, Sympathy, This Suffering, and Burn The Evidence.

They show that Billy Talent are still one of the most important punk rock bands out there today, taking it in their own direction, blazing with original style. (sorry ,i just wanted to use the word "blazing") and building on the sound that got us hooked on the first record.

5/5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, 29 Aug 2006
GamerGuru (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billy Talent II (Audio CD)
Well after buying this Album in Toronto while i was on holiday and listen to it lots, i can say i love it. Stand out tracks for me are Surrender, Devil in a midnight pass, red flag, Worker bees.....heck there all great.

So i would defo recomend this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Killer, Some Filler, 28 Jun 2006
Tom H. (Wellesley, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billy Talent II (Audio CD)
This is an awesome album, a true testament to Billy Talent's perseverance in turning out great music. While this album is mostly fast paced, it doesn't quite have the intensity of their first and is more subtle for some songs including surrender, but it doesn't at all mean it's any worse. Many of the songs prove a more refined style of lyrics but some exhibit repetitive and somewhat useless lines. Again, this a great album that I would give 4.5 stars if I could, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes rock or punk, but I would have to say that so far, their first album "Billy Talent" is their crowning achievement.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT 2ND ALBUM!!!!!!!, 30 Jun 2006
This review is from: Billy Talent II (Audio CD)
i'd give this album five but it just aint as good as their first, dont get me wrong this is an amazing album, just lacks something that their first offering had, maybe just cause i loved the 1st one so much.

They have come on leaps and bounds as a band though, great melodic songs now too!!! Pins and needles is a work of art!!!!

Try honesty??like it....suffering is the new try honesty!!!another great song!!!

Naval song song is the only one im not over keen on, but its still good!!!

If you liked the first one YOU WILL like this one!!!!!!!

Go see them live, so much energy!!!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Calmer and diverse, 12 Aug 2006
Mr. Paul Elliott "ShallowThal" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billy Talent II (Audio CD)
So far Billy Talent, for me, is the only band who has released two albums ive liked every song to. Theres a big different between this album and the first one, but thats not a bad thing. Billy Talent II retains the same styles as the first and remains edgy and raw, but the writing of the songs are a better quality and the diversity between songs is greater.

The first album was mostly edgy and angst, mostly due to the bands 10yr old career without breaking into the business. The second album though is much more calmer, experimental and focused.

I can't fault any song on this album, but the ones which stand out are, Devil in a Midnight Mass, This Suffering, Worker Bees, The Navy Song and burn the Evidence....ok and the rest too :p

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Billy Talent II
Billy Talent II by Billy Talent (Audio CD - 2006)