Format: DVD|Change

on 27 August 2009
WELL WORTH WATCHING IN THE SEVENTIES, AND STILL ARE TODAY, THE WALTONS HAVE BEEN REGARDED AS THE PERFECT FAMILY-OR SO WE THOUGHT AT THE TIME. THE PHILOSOPHY IS EXCELLENT IN EVERY EPISODE, THEY HAVE GOOD STORYLINES AND ALSO GOOD ACTING-FROM GRANDPARENTS TO THE CHILDREN-ALL SEVEN OF THEM.
THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS IN THE DISTANCE LOOK BEAUTIFUL, MAKING ME WISH I WAS THERE MYSELF! I THINK RALPH WAITE AND MICHAEL LEARNED MAKE A REALLY HANDSOME COUPLE.
HOWEVER, AS I GOT FURTHER INTO THE EPISODES, I BEGAN TO GET A BIT CONFUSED: THEY WERE LIVING IN 1936, AND THE NEXT TIME, IT WAS 1934! I REACHED THE THIRD SERIES BEFORE I REALISED THE DVDS CAN BE WATCHED ON BOTH SIDES!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 July 2008
This follows on just where season one left off and it's more of the same. Which is a good thing.
The only difference you might notice are that the younger kids don't look quite so young, and there are new titles.
Otherwise it's business as usual: lots of episodes, each one self-contained, yet linked, with themes that run right through.
Each episode provides one or more members of the family with a big problem they have to solve, and I'm not giving too much away I think by saying there's generally a happy ending.
The world needs a few happy endings these days, so if you're tired of the modern world, immerse yourself in the Waltons' problems and rejoice in a happier time when people were good to each other.
It's escapisim of course, but of a high-quality kind.
The Waltons rests, like all good long-running series, on the ensemble cast and the way they interact. In this case the family is entirely believable and very charming. Unless you're very hard-hearted, you will probably wish at some point that you could be one of them.
High production values, good acting, authentic period setting and pure nostalgia make this a great antidote to today's fast-moving world.
on 20 December 2012
Have worked my way through the 1st series and now on the second series. Good, honest clean stories that remind me of my childhood. Excellent gift for anyone who remembers sitting on Sunday mornings watching it. Fab gift idea.
on 30 April 2013
If you want a sweet, innocent family series that will take you back to your childhood (if you watched it then) you won't be disappointed. Its certainly true that they don't make them like this any more. Fabulous
on 12 May 2009
I recently bought the first 4 series of The Waltons and am gradually making my way through all 100 episodes with my 8 year old son - and we're loving them! I can't believe how many of them I remember from 30 years ago! It's just so refreshing to have great family entertainment with a little moral tale at the end of each episode. My son sits wide-eyed at the thought of going to school barefoot or only having 2 cents to spend on candy, but he also loves the idea of the kids having so much freedom and has decided that he wants to be a writer like Johnboy because it's so cool - wow, there is life after (and before) playstations! I've just started him on the I Love Lucy boxed set - talk about broadening his horizons ....
on 3 October 2009
We are in the process of watching this series, having watched the first series and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is great to watch with the children, who ask for it to be put on and sit riveted during each episode. Questions are raised and discussed from issues within the program and each episode has a message about morals/ethics which are great for the children to learn. From a nostalgic point of view, it takes us, as adults, back to our childhood when this was on TV. It makes a nice change from Hannah Montana etc.... The quality of the DVD's is as good as you can hope to get from a program filmed over 30 years ago and we have no complaints at all. Enjoy the innocence of the time!
on 17 October 2009
Enjoyed every minute, watched this as a child and loved it watched as an adult many many years later and loved it, so relaxing watching this
on 26 April 2014
This item is part of the wonderul Waltons series. I love everything about this series. The storylines are very strong and this series gives you the ability to follow the life and times of the family from the early days when the children were very young to when the children grew up and became adults and parents themselves. This was a long standing series and each episode was well written and well acted and I looked forward to seeing each episode.
on 7 June 2010
I watched Series 1 of The Waltons with my children and they adored it. Series 2 is carrying on where Series 1 left off - similar heart warming stories, always with a happy ending. There isn't enough of this sort of family programming any more!
on 9 September 2014
Delighted with this DVD Box Set. A must for watching. On those days when you just want to curl up on the sofa and lose yourself in the everyday lives of this lovely family. True to everyday life situations. A great watch.