on 3 January 2007
I havent been able to find many reviews for this TV on the net for some reason, so I thought Id write one.

I bought this TV in the post-Xmas sales after doing a LOT of shopping around. For the price, features, picture quality and connections this was the best TV I found all day. Certainly the largest LCD for the price too. For an extra couple of hundred pounds you could get a slightly better picture quality, but not much. This is well worth buying.

Standard def TV broadcasts quality is hugely variable while watching on a TV this size. Go onto one of the shopping channels or a channel showing a programme recorded some time ago, and the picture looks pretty nasty; but then go to BBC3 for example and be amazed at the difference.

I have been using this with my Xbox 360 and have been stunned by how good things look. Games such as Gears of War are outstanding, and watching DVDs is an incredible experience. Star Wars Episode 3 is a highlight, and Im honestly wondering how much better the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray version could be. Ive also downloaded some HD movie trailers from the Xbox marketplace and have been well impressed.

I only have two gripes with this set. One, the sound quality isnt all that great. Dont get me wrong, its not bad at all, I was just hoping for something a little better. Once again though, for this price you cant really complain.

Second, while watching the Star Wars Ep. 3 DVD, I noticed the lightsabers moving looked REALLY bad, like Freeview in a thunderstorm. There were huge blocks of colour surrounding them as they moved. Still images were fine though. I went into the display options and found that turning off the Digital Natural Motion effect removed this problem completely, and it now looks fantastic. I just feel Im missing out on something with the DNM turned off. Surely its there for a good reason?

In conclusion Im extremely happy with this LCD TV, and would recommend it to anyone.
on 29 March 2007
Just for clarity and contrary to one previous mistaken review - this IS an LCD TV. It is also an amazingly good one. I work in TV and need a unit that is going to give me the most accurate reproduction of an image from the source without too much processing or interference. I need to see the picture as it is. That's difficult to pull off with LCDs because there is always image processing undertaken by the TV. Fortunately Philips' engineers were savvy enough to allow users to set the unit up any way they choose. As another reviewer said, you can switch off or on the Digital Natural Motion Effect along with a gamut of tone, picture warmth and format settings. In truth (if you have the time) it is wise to try and set up the TV for every film/TV show. If you don't have time I think you will find that 9 times out of 10 this excellent TVs processor will give you a good image. Occasionally any software is going to be beaten by some elaborate SFX, in which case it only takes a moment to alter a setting and carry on.

Personally for around the £800 mark I have found NO OTHER TV worth investing in. The 42PF7621D is a well built, solid feeling TV with terrific picture. The sound quality is good but obviously designed for connection to a surround sound unit (as are most TVs these days). I have recommended this unit to my friends and I recommend it to all potential purchasers out there.
on 20 April 2007
I'm new to LCD television and HD so I was a bit nervous spending a lot of money on this product. Having spent a lot of time looking around dealers I was tempted to go for the Sony 42" but in the end this tv was available for considerably less and with a 5 year warranty from a leading department store who won't be beaten on price. I don't regret it now - as other reviewers have said, the picture quality is superb and there is a wide variety of adjustment for both picture and sound. The screen size is big without dominating the room and delivers a quality picture even in strong sunlight. The set itself looks great.

My only slight disappointment is that there is a buzz from the speakers when you have the bass levels up high - but this may be because I am using a table top stand on a glass tv stand at present. It doesn't matter to me as I use a home cinema surround sound system most of the time. I would recommend this tv to anyone looking for a high quality lcd tv - just try out the sound in the shop before you buy!
on 14 March 2007
I bought this tv for my son as a gift for xmas, he wanted a ps3 for march so he wanted a hd tv to get the best picture. the quality is amazing! i have never seen a tv so well worth the money! its picture is crystal clear! if your looking for hd tv then it wont get better than this!

See one answered question