4.0 out of 5 stars Wow! I'm shrinking!!
Published on 18 Sep 2006 by A. Orviss

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin ***NOT all raw food***
Published on 2 May 2012 by agua manuka

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow! I'm shrinking!!, 18 Sep 2006
This is a really well written and beautifully laid-out book. I've done every diet going and read loads of books on raw foods/paleo diets etc. This one really speaks to me! Natalia is a nutritionist who accepts that we are all different and so the book caters for people at different points in their cleansing journey! You might be ready to go the whole hog and live on fruit and raw salads, or you may need a few months of eating meat/fish, wholegrains and 'normal' foods. There is a questionnaire to help you decide where you are at, which I found spookily accurate. You are allowed the occasional glass of wine and dark chocolate - hoorah!!

The recipes are lovely and the charts are genuinely useful.

The only reason I give 4 stars not 5 is because it is entirely geared towards the American reader - no links to resources in UK at all, which these days is pretty poor. You can find more UK info at the Fresh Network website, in whose magazine you can also read an interview with Ms Rose. But otherwise, I recommend this book - you will find it easy to use, and you WILL lose weight!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars No faddism or gimmicky trends -- just accessible, useful advice that works, 20 Oct 2007
Let me start by saying that I had only been following this book's advice for 6 days when I realised I'd lost 2.2 kg -- without weighing and measuring food, calculating points or counting calories, or shrinking my portions into insignificance and feeling deprived. I have, though, had to change the way I look at food, ditch some old habits, and try to ingrain new, healthier habits. Doing so, I have been very pleased with the results.

Overall -- this book advocates 5 levels of eating certain percentages of your daily intake raw or prepared on extrememly low heat. You take a little quiz to determine how raw you can healthily go at the moment, and there is no pressure to go higher up the list until you and your body are ready.

Ms Rose does *not* advocate that everyone must or should become a raw-food-vegan overnight or ever. She just makes it clear that getting the most raw, natural foods into your body as you can handle will make you healthier and help you lose weight (to lose weight, she advocates no less than 70% of your foods raw; that amounts to a fruit smoothie breakfast + half of every other meal raw), but that every one is going to find their own level of comfort. She is in no way fanatical or trendy or trying to get you to give up your social life and going out to your favourite restaraunts and enjoying holiday meals with your family. This is a program you can really follow long-term and not label yourself or alienate your loved ones.

And very importantly, NO SPECIAL KITCHEN EQUIPMENT is needed for her recipes (a blender is all that is required; a juicer would make life easy, but not required; no dehydrators or sprouters).

I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Raw Food Detox Diet, 22 Mar 2009
Dianne Mower (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This is a really good starting point for those interested in Raw Food. The information and meal plans offer realistic solutions for exploring this growing area of healthy diets. This was one of the first books I read on Raw Food; it was inspiring and encouraged me to try out the recipes. There are some very 'extreme' raw foodists out there, Natalia Rosa is NOT one of them. If you want a investigate raw food, start with this book, you wont be disappointed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin ***NOT all raw food***, 2 May 2012
I was really unhappy when this book arrived; I ordered this as I have been exploring raw foods more & more of late - my husband and I had already begun a raw detox consisting mostly of juices and vegetables smoothies with one raw meal a day, I hoped the book would give me some fresh ideas and inspiration. I had already ordered & received another book (Raw Living by Kate Wood) but I wanted this one relating specifically to detoxing. The book is aimed for people who want to do a detox but also still want some cooked foods such as rice etc. It states early on that it will not cover anything such as high speed blenders, dehydrators etc. It's great that such a book exists but this was not what I wanted & I really felt that the title had mislead me. Perhaps it should not be called RAW DETOX if it is not in fact a raw detox! As a result I have referred mostly to the other book I bought & later purchased some other RAW titles such as Going Raw by Judita Wignall which is super! It is very possible to have a raw diet without the dehydrators etc and a raw food increase will be of benefit to anyone even if you still have cooked food too. If you are looking for a detox that contains some raw food without going the whole hog then this book is for you, I just wish the title was Part Raw Detox!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 28 July 2012
Yes, if you are a hard core raw foodist you may find this title disappointing. However, if like me you are transitioning into raw food then it is an excellent text. Explains which foods not to mix and has a good mix of easy recipes and slightly more complex recipes.
This title is primarily about how to lose some weight and get to grips with a raw food lifestyle (hence the word "detox" in the title) without being completely anal about the process. Yes, it does say you can eat meat but it also splits becoming a raw foodist into 5 easy levels and is very sensible about the fact that some people might not want to be 100% raw. Natalia comes across as a very practical person who wants to help more people eat healthily without being hardcore or perfect about it all. I personally think this book will help people find it easier to stick to a raw food diet than if they dove straight into Raw Food Real World: 100 Recipes to get the glow (another raw food book I own).
So, if you want to be or are a vegan raw foodie, move on, there is nothing to see here. If however you are an open minded, middle of the road, looking for some helpful hints, and easy dehydrator free recipes then buy this book. The biggest, most helpful pieces of advice I got from this book was to not be too hard on myself if I had a "naughty" day and how to not combine certain foods (something other raw food books seem to omit completely and which has worked hugely for me i.e. don't mix fruit with anything as it ferments and causes bloating).

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to follow plan, 8 Mar 2011
Puja (Nottingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I have been trying to transition to a high raw diet for health. This book offers simple flexible plans to suit a variety of contexts. I found the general principles more useful than the recipes. For instance, going from 'light' to 'heavy' foods over the course of the day. I don't follow her plan religiously, but it has allowed me to start: this means fruit till lunchtime, raw salads/vegetables for lunch, a vegan dinner. She advocates a 'green lemonade' (juice of 2 green vegetables such as romaine, cucumber, kale, celery, 1-2 apples, 1 lemon, optional fresh ginger) everyday, twice a day, preferably first thing in the morning and as a pre-lunch snack. Most people may not have time for juicing in the morning before work so I have my version of green lemonade after work. If you follow her food combining guidelines though, you should be ok if you wait for about an hour after the juice before having dinner. For those considering this book for weightloss, there is no calorie counting. If you are looking for recipes they appear to be quite unfussy though there are a few gourmet versions as well. On the whole, a very practical book. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natalia's books speak to me...I've changed my life and I'm not looking back!, 23 April 2009
Kim Littlehailes "mom of three" (Putney, London) - See all my reviews
I came across this book while shopping on Amazon. I guess something I had previously purchased linked me to the book. I wasn't looking to change my whole association with food, but this program soon got beneath my skin. I became virtually 100% raw in a matter of weeks. I incorporated this with a Bikram yoga program at the same time, as eating whole foods seemed to pair beautifully with yoga (as Natalia suggests in her other wonderful book, Life Force Energy). Weight has just melted off (not that I had too much to lose, but now I love my body). I never thought I'd be juicing, blending smoothies, and making my own salad dressings (which the Thai peanut dressing is absolutely delectable!), but they have all effortlessly become part of my daily routine. It's true that living in London does not lend itself to some of the foods (I had the whole produce department running around trying to figure out what jicama is, let alone if they carried it!), and I'm dying to try a Kollar cookie, but you can find most everything else. The book talks about the natural sweetener, stevia. I have been told that the UK does not approve of Stevia, yet Whole Foods has a natural sweetener that probably is stevia, it's just not called it by that name. It's fun to crack the raw code! I love that what I eat not just satisfies me in a new, complete way, but that also the foods I eat are helping me rejuvenate and prolong my life. Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 29 Sep 2012
I am so glad I bought this book. Earlier this week, I started on a raw food diet - around 80% - possibly a bit higher. I just jumped right, but I realised I had to educate myself on the fundamentals. So, I have been looking all over the web and reading so many articles - which were great, but not necessarily covering the fundamentals. This book covers the fundamentals which basically explains the purpose of the raw food diet and what one is looking to achieve. I see weight loss in a different way now, AND can now monitor how I incorporate raw foods into my life better. Also, it does encourage a gradual introduction, which I actually agree with. Without this guidance, I did feel the first few raw days my body not quite knowing what hit it, and it was seriously adjusting gears the first 3 days. So, yeah, a gradual intro might have been a smoother option. Mind you, I'm a pretty healthy eater already, so it wasn't a total shock to my system. I highly recommend the raw food diet overall, and this book is a great intro to starting off. As I said, I jumped in with both feet and now on the fifth day, feel fantastic. Already (prior to this book) my food cravings are gone, bowel movement is amazing, energy level stable, and I feel good. With this book now, I have a better understanding on how to proceed. Highly recommend it for a game plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great diet to lose weight, 13 July 2011
I bought this book to lose weight in a way that would not make me feel sick or starving. After 1 month I lost 2 kg, but I feel good. So I am very happy. I will see if i will continue to lose weight or not. Anyway, even if I don't the money spent for this book are well worth 2 kg!

3.0 out of 5 stars useful, 3 May 2011
This review is from: The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book to investigate the hows and whys of eating raw. It does the job adequately but I was hoping for more recipes for main meals and not just a list of salads which I am quite able to invent myself. Interesting but I can't see myself eating nothing but raw in the foreseeable future - not a fault of the book just my tastes I think.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›