4.0 out of 5 stars The Play that Continues to Influence on a Generational Scale!
I had not been introduced to Marlowe's work (or, indeed, heard of the legendary playwright at all) until after taking the mammoth decision to start an Open University module. This was a Level 1 module for 60 credits; AA100 `The Arts Past and Present'. During the second week, we had the task of reading the play from this suggested A-Text version, alongside an audio track...
Published on 29 Nov. 2012 by Nicholas Richard Pearson

3.0 out of 5 stars A by-chance read
I have never read a play before and the only reason I opened this one up was because I needed to buy it for my Open University course and I was surprised to find I enjoyed it. The book is split with the play on the right hand side with explanations on the left making it easy for you to understand what is being said.

There is also a description in the back about...
Published on 5 Feb. 2009 by Simon Wells

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as I thought!, 7 Dec. 2010
Had to read this for an OU course and was dreading it but I was pleasantly surprised! The notes on each page are really helpful as I wouldn't have understood it without them. Am not sure I'd have read it if I didn't have to but am glad I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 20 Mar. 2013
Faustus is a great play by Marlowe. I used this in English Literature along side The Tempest by Shakespeare. They contrast hugely but there are also some similarities in how magic and fiction are used. This is Fiction for the time it was written and I enjoyed it- suprisingly! I was not expecting to like Faustus but I did. I was compelled by his character and felt the need to read on to find out what would happen to him. A great play which I would recommend to fellow play lovers and fans of fiction from another time. Also I recommend this to people who love reading about good and evil - angels and demons as well as sacrifice and personal gain. Good stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting and insightful, 15 May 2012
Marlowe's play is fairly easy to understand whilst also being intriguing and a good insight into the downfall of mankind in the face of power and sin. Faustus openly criticizes church tradition and religion whilst also querying the concepts of damnation. The tale of his downfall at the hands of Lucifer leaves audiences with a stark reality of what sin and depravity can do to a man and it is this that makes the character so fascinating in his final days of damnation. A good revision tool also for A-Level students as the book is full of criticisms and contextual analysis which can aid essay writing and analysis of perspectives.

3.0 out of 5 stars good production but not unabridged, 10 Oct. 2012
I am assuming that the readers of the review of this product already know the plot of the play by Marlowe, I think this is taken by the A text that is to say the first version of the play generally accepted to be the most accurate as far as I know.
this is the fully dramatized version in 1 CD but contrarily to what the description says, in the download version at least and I don't think the two versions are different, this version is not unabridged.
the download version - which is described as unabridged is not so, it does refer to the A text of the play but there are at least two episodes missing from the full dramatization of this version.
the download is advertised as being 55 minutes in listening length and this CD lasts 54 minutes and 48 seconds, 12 seconds shorter, that might account for the Audible announcements at the beginning and at the end.
regarding the missing parts, please bear in mind I only read the printed version once so I am not able to give full details but the scene where Faustus falls asleep and the man pulls his leg to wake him up is missing and after Ellen of Greece the scene with the old man who invites Faustus to repent is missing, actually all references to the old man are missing.
my advice is for the current price - at the time I bought it the price was a bit more than £11 - if you want the dramatized version I suggest you buy the stage on screen DVD. the actors here are very good but overall since this is not the unabridged version I do not see the point of this CD, actually I was hoping to get the unabridged audio book of the play, the dramatization is very good but as I said before it's not unabridged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource!, 1 Nov. 2011
Mr. I. Ahmed (Lanchashire,England) - See all my reviews
After having used both the new mermaids edition and the longman edition, I found the Longman edition to be far more useful.
It has a whole section at the back of the book,which is kind of like an all in one which has lots of good information such as key quotes, reviews from critics, history of the play etc. and lots of questions and exam questions to get you thinking about the play.
The layout of the book is great too! I'm using it for my A2 studies in english literature and so far have found it a to be very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Faustus: The A Text, 15 Jun. 2012
For those that are going to be studying A-Level English and this is one of the plays that you are to learn about, you will really enjoy it. Up until I did the course, I had never even heard of this play, yet now I probably can never forget it. It is a good read even if it is not being used for educational purposes. I also advise watching the DVD of this and also seeing it at the Globe if you get the chance, it is much better visually as is most things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Faustus. By Christopher Marlowe., 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Dr. Faustus (Digireads.com Classic) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book to assist with the prologue of my next novel. "The face that launched a thousand ships" originates from this play, and Dr Faustus' speech on his paramour Helen of Troy, plus his death speech are classics in the theatrical world.
See my Amazon Kindle E book prologue for 'Dark Age Streets', a knowledge of historical writers and their work is very helpful, and a darned sight cheaper to purchase on Amazon Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another essential Read for some courses, 7 Feb. 2014
Pete F. (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Bought for an Open University course that I was doing, it was listed as essential reading for the OU AA100 'The Arts Past and Present'
course. It provided all the information that I needed and was not too expensive - just make sure that if you're buying books for higher education that you buy exactly the right edition (as listed on your course details) or you may not have the same information as everyone else on your course.

1.0 out of 5 stars missing most of the play, 23 Jan. 2012
I am studying A level english literature and needed this play...but it turned out that it was missing several scenes and had edited out a large amount of text which was very important for my exam! I had to buy another copy of the book... really unhelpful, it is actually shocking that the publisher got away with changing so much but keeping the same title. It does not say anywhere on my copy that it was abridged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor of Chance!, 8 Feb. 2012
As with many other reviewers, I studied Dr Faustus for Open University. The play is about a man who sells his soul to the devil. He is an overreacher. It is very good. I must admit that I prefer Christopher Marlowe's work to Shakespeare's. I would recommend this book to any reader who enjoys drama. This book would encourage many to want to see the play. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Dr. Faustus (Digireads.com Classic)