5.0 out of 5 stars The best romance novel of the Norman Conquest
"Wolf and the Dove is the most delightful and most realistic medieval romance written about the Norman conquest of Britain.
I am very happy that I've read this book first and the other similar books later. None of them compairs to Ms. Woodiwiss's wonderful story of Ayslinn of Darkenwald and Wulfgar, William the Conqueror's best knight.The story is set in times...
Published on 29 July 2002 by ambersaxon696

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst 'romance' ever!
This is not a romance novel. Why do I know this? The 'hero' of the tale is a brutal, misogynistic savage who shows no respect for the heroine or for women, nay people, in general. How can this character - who cares what he looks like - be the least bit attractive to any woman? I lost the tiny glimmer of respect and pity I held for the heroine after she was raped, when the...
Published on 15 Oct 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my first, one of the best., 14 Aug 1999
By A Customer
In my mid-teens, this was the second romance novel my mother shared with me (the first being 'The Flame and the Flower'); I have read it many times since. The cover and several pages have fallen off/out, but have not been lost. This new cover is so pretty I may have to replace the 'family' copy. Simply one of the best romances I have ever read. These wonderful tales have led me to read all of her works, finding some better than others, but 'Wolf and the Dove' will always be at the top of my list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Superb!, 30 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This book is the first romance novel I've ever read and it pretty much started me into reading others. Basically Woodiwiss is a boring author but she carried this one quite splendidly. I will never forget the amout of tears I've shed and the heartwrenching emotions the book brought out of me. Wulfgar and Aislinn will be forever etched in my mind and hopefully yours. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Kathleen Woodiwiss novel of all, 26 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I read my paperback copy of "The Wolf and the Dove" so much, it fell apart. I had to buy a hardcover edition to put on my keeper shelf. The tale of Aislinn and Wulfgar is a classic. Anyone who has an interest in the dark and turbulent times of the Norman Conquest of England needs to read this book. Wulgar is still my dream man to this day.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have lived this book within my mind, over & over again., 18 Aug 2000
By A Customer
I have read this book countless times, and I continue to fall in love with the characters on every occasion. They have strength, humour and an attraction any woman would gladly die for. Kathleen Woodiwiss conjures characters you love, hate, respect and ultimatley wish to be. Definately my favourite book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance at its best, 8 Nov 2000
By A Customer
I read this book first of all over 20 years ago, and it is probably my most favourite, I still bring it out and read it at least once a year, she is a brilliant writer and the mix of history and fiction is just wonderful, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspension of doubt, please!, 20 Sep 2000
By A Customer
I started reading book reviews a while back, and I kept coming across people who didn't like Woodiwiss because the storylines were predictable, it wasn't historically accurate, etc, etc. All I have to say is, let go and enjoy! Wolf and the Dove is my all time favorite Woodiwiss book, and even if it isn't accurate historically, it is still a beautiful story with superb writing. So let off on the criticalness (there's too much of that in the world anyhow) and just enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Brilliant!, 15 Feb 2000
By A Customer
I have read "bodice ripper" romances for many years from my teens, but this was my first Woodiwiss book. I was enthralled with the story of Wulfgar and Aislin. This started me off on the trail to read all of Woodiwiss' books and I have enjoyed every one of them so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars yeah, it is a classic, 16 Jan 1998
By A Customer
this book is one of my all time favorites. The reason I like it so much is it is memorable. How many times have you read a romance novel, six monthes later, you can not come up with a story line, character, etc??? Wulfgar is right up there with Heathcliff and Rhett

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER FANTASTIC PIECE OF WORK, 4 July 1998
By A Customer
This is the first Kathleen Woodiwiss book I read, many years ago. I found it a fantastic read. She is my favorite author. After I read this I went out and bought all her books I could find and I loved them all. I always fall in love with her heros. I even love her newest book Petals on the River, which I noticed got I lot of critiscim from other reviewers (although not her best book it still grabbed me ). My only complaint is waiting so long for her next releases, but they are such large books and I wouldn't want her to skimp so I just keep re reading her others to pacify myself while I wait. Keep up the good work Kathleen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!!!!!!, 19 Oct 2004
I thoroughly enjoyed The Wolf and the Dove. This is the first novel by Ms Woodwiss that I have read and I will certainly be reading many more! If you enjoy historical romance novels set within medieval times then I would recommend this book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›