4.0 out of 5 stars Needed to be a series of books !
Third and final book in S.M Stirling's Terminator series.

Readers beware, Stirling's 3 book T2 series takes from the end of the second Terminator film - these books are written as though the movie T3 `Rise Of The Machine's' did not take place. And to be honest, atleast these books do not make John Connor look like such a wimp as he appeared in T3...
Published on 6 Nov. 2007 by Mr. R. Coleman

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise
Someone handed me this book at work and I have to say I was not expecting great things, but while I was waiting for the His Dark Materials trilogy to arrive for my birthday, I thought I'd give it a go.
Published on 14 Jun. 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 14 Jun. 2004
Amazon Customer (Harpenden, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'll start by saying that I am a huge fan of T1 and T2, but I never saw T3, so I had no preconceived ideas baout what I was or wasn't getting myself into. I also haven't read either of the other books in this series. I came in blind.
I found this book incredibly easy to get into, and I immediately identified with the characters. I felt that John Connor had been developed well and was a hero that I could definitely root for.
Th first half of the book is gripping stuff. There's a real sense of panic and urgency, and despite the constant shifts between Skynet, Sarah, John, Mary etc, it never became confusing. It feels epic in its scope.
So I was somewhat disappointed by the last 100 pages or so where the author decided to keep skipping through time; seven years later; then another two or three until suddenly John's gone from his late teens to 42 years of age.
But while I was displeased with this aspect, the rest of the book was thoroughly enjoiyable and the ending one of those 'eureka' type moments. I was very impressed with the way the author managed to tie all of the threads together, to keep the story in the tradition of the first two movies, to break down the technical sections into manageable chunks (a bit like Michael Crichton), and to offer up enough suspense and surprise to keep me reading to the end.
If you're a fan of the films but disillusioned with the conclusion of the series then I'd definitely recommend this. I feel now that T3 will be a disappointment if I eventually get around to watching it. Maybe I'll see if I can blag the other books in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needed to be a series of books !, 6 Nov. 2007
Mr. R. Coleman (Marlow, UK) - See all my reviews
Third and final book in S.M Stirling's Terminator series.

Readers beware, Stirling's 3 book T2 series takes from the end of the second Terminator film - these books are written as though the movie T3 `Rise Of The Machine's' did not take place. And to be honest, atleast these books do not make John Connor look like such a wimp as he appeared in T3 !

Unlike the first two books in the Stirling's series - which concerned the Connor's battles against Skynets human-terminator hybrids - this book details the events from the outbreak of Judgement day, the rise of the resistance, the second judgement day and the eventual sending back in time of Kyle Reese, `Uncle Bob', as well as the terminators from T1 and T2.

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I felt that Stirling's first two books had a consistency which connected them far more than with this book. If Stirling had released the first two books as a stand alone series and then written a couple of books entitled `The Future War' then both myself and other avid readers of all things Terminator would have felt less aggrieved at only 350 odd pages covering all the events from outbreak to conclusion. Years pass to quickly in this book, and Stirling could have made so much more of these events with more books in a prolonged series.

I liked the introduction of the Reese family, from the getting together of Kyles parents, the birth of Kyle, his upbringing and Sarah's sad reluctance to go anywhere near him as he grows to an adult. It also explains how Kyle got Sarah's picture.

Many years have passed since I saw the original Terminator movie in a now defunct cinema - now turned into an office complex - but I still find myself wanting to read and watch more Terminator material. I think like most people, I want more about the real 'Future War', with HK crushing skulls in a battle ridden city, and the surviving populace battling the machines. This book could have delivered more in this respect, and I can only hope that both Stirling and Cameron will address this with further reading materials in the not too distant future - well atleast before artificial intelligence gets hold of the nukes !!

Excellent reading, but leaves you too hungry for more !

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read if you consider Ciaran's comments, 1 Dec. 2003
Dean Murphy (Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I sort of agree with Ciaran with regard to a few dead-ends sub-stories and skipping of chunks in time, however I personally enjoyed the book and finished it in less than 1 week (very quick for me as I'm a slow reader).
I've now read all three of Stirlings Terminator books and enjoyed them all, it's probably best to read the others in sequence before reading this one as the characters and Sterlings interpretation of the ongoing Terminator story is built up in those.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you a true fan?, 1 Mar. 2008
J. Bennett (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book and it's sisters (Infiltrator and Rising Storm) are the way a true Terminator fan would have wanted the movie, Terminator 3 to have been made. In collaboration, the three books talk about John and Sarah going into hidding before the war, how again they attempt to thwart Skynet, how they build up the resistance before the war and finally, how the war starts. There is also a glimpse of Kyle Reese and how he gew up in the aftermath of the war to eventually fall in love with Sarah and travel time for her

5.0 out of 5 stars Blew me away, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: T2: The Future War (Terminator Series) (Kindle Edition)
SM Stirling first two Terminator novels were good, but this brought it all to a fantastic climax, all links wonderfully with T2 storyline. Great stuff highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars They just get better!, 17 Aug. 2003
Liane Frydland (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: T2: The Future War (Hardcover)
This is the third book in S. M. Stirling's Terminator series and I didn't hink he could improve on the first two - boy was I wrong! Once again he creates a stonking read - a must for any Terminator fan. WOuld recommend you've read the first two though as some bits won't make sense unless you have.
Hope he writes some more!
Liane.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rushed, 31 Oct. 2014
This review is from: T2: The Future War (Terminator Series) (Kindle Edition)
Great characters and ideas just very rushed. This books events should have happened over 3 more books. Still a great read

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Nov. 2005
What T3 (or rather T5) should've been. Well written, gripping and brings it all together

5.0 out of 5 stars Far superior to T3, 29 July 2003
The final book in the Infiltrator series, sanctioned by Jim Cameron himself this is an excellent conclusion to the Infiltrator trilogy. Starting where Rising Storm left off, Judgement Day occurs and the war against the machines starts. Unlike the novel of T3 this is an excellent book which fits into the story established by the T1 and T2 films.

1.0 out of 5 stars Life's too short., 13 Aug. 2003
*Minor Spoilers!*
Terminator 2: the Future War is one of those books that seems very hurried.
The book picks up where the last one left off - Skynet is sentient and is plotting to exterminate the human race. The book takes us through the first manifestations of the plot through the first nuclear war, the second, the defeat of Skynet and the sending of Kyle Reese back in time.
Here is a list of the major issues I have with the book:
1] Characterisation: Characters are in general poorly developed in this book, with many of them immediately recognisable as analogous to "That extra guy in the Star Trek Away team who's going to get killed". The only characters who are well developed are the main ones (Sarah, John and Dieter) left over from the previous book.
2] Content: Astonishingly, for a book that deals with two nuclear wars and the near-extinction of the Human Race, not very much seems to happen. Much of the time I was reading this wondering what the point to a particular dead-end sub-plot was. In addition, there are Stirling re-enactments of scenes from the first movie. These really do seem thrown together at the end of the book as a hook for the reader to identify with.
3] Pacing: The pacing of the book is haphazard. By use of Sarah Connor's journal, Stirling is able to chop off a few years here, a decade there and accelerate us through most of the war to the denouement. This makes for a very unsatisfying read and really feels as though Stirling wrote some of the chapters on days off.
I have read a fair number of Stirling's books and really felt that in some places, the Terminators could just as easily have been Draka. It was very formulaic: Stirling on autopilot.
Avoid. Life's too short to waste on this.

T2: The Future War (Terminator Series)