5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully compelling story, filled with romance.
'Shanna' has to be one of Kathleen E. Woodiwiss's finest books to date. Its pages fairly burst at the seams with repressed romance and longing and the reader is swept along in the wake of a roller coaster ride of a story line.
Published on 31 Oct 2001 by louise_jordan@hotmail.com

1.0 out of 5 stars I am sorry to say I too am named after this book.
Published on 5 Jan 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully compelling story, filled with romance., 31 Oct 2001
This review is from: Shanna (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the perfect novel to begin your relationship with Woodiwiss and rates amongst her best. The characters are rounded and true to their nature throughout the story, with Shanna herself maturing as the story progresses.
Ruark is a dashing, exciting hero in a similar vein to many of Woodiwiss's leading male characters and his tenacity with regard to staying with Shanna in the face of all adversity makes it well nigh impossible to put the book down.
All in all, I rate this as one of Woodiwiss's best alongside the fabulous 'Wolf and the Dove', 'The Flame and the Flower' and 'The Elusive Flame'.
Great Stuff! Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best most well rounded book ever!!!!! 10 stars for sure!, 9 Jun 1999
This review is from: Shanna (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book two years ago and I vividly remember everything about it. It truly is magnificient! I have read every Kathleen book and though all are great, this one is just wonderful. The story is beautiful and the characters enchanting. You will find everything in this book from romance to action, and will fall in love with Ruark! WHAT A MAN! If you are looking for a good book, read this one. I also recommend A ROSE IN WINTER, ASHES IN THE WIND, THE FLAME AND THE FLOWER, and THE WOLF AND THE DOVE...they are also great. Kathleen E. Woodiwiss is absolutely great, she really knows how to tell a story!

1.0 out of 5 stars I am sorry to say I too am named after this book., 5 Jan 1999
This review is from: Shanna (Mass Market Paperback)
Although I enjoyed this lustful adventure when I was fifteen, the shallow romance does not spark my interest any longer. Maybe my problem is that I have never been a fan of romance novels, much preferring anything that more closly resembles life, or science fiction that has nothing to do with reality. I picked up this book again last month hoping to reminisce on why I liked it in my teenage years and understand a little more of why my mother liked it enough to name her first born after it, but I was at a loss. I found the first chapter positively ridiculous. I continued anyway hoping it would get better, but was not rewarded. There was enough fluff there to kill a person. By the thrid chapter I had to quit, and had my roomate rolling on the floor with laughter at the cliched language and preposterous events. I just hope my sexual encounters can't be described so cheesily. Ruark, I hate to break it to you, but you will never be this Shanna's hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Ruark, 21 Feb 2001
This review is from: Shanna (Mass Market Paperback)
I absolutely loved Ruark and hated shanna all the way through the book for the way she treated him and how arrogant she was but by the end i'd fallen in love with all the characters including shanna and now really miss the book since finishing it! well done woodiwiss

5.0 out of 5 stars After the Bible, the most fascinating book I've ever read., 19 April 1999
This review is from: Shanna (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read this book nearly 20 years ago. I lent my copy to a friend and never got it back, so I just repurchased it. When I started, I couldn't put it down. With out giving away the ending, let me just say that the first time I read it, I nearly passed out with excitement. All the characters come to life and every page draws me to the next. Don't miss the excitement, the intrege, the drama, the romance and the happiest ending you've ever read. I only wish someone would make it into a movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best romance novel ever written!!, 22 Feb 1999
This review is from: Shanna (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is Kathleen Woodiwiss at her best. All of her book are wonderful, but when I began reading about Shanna and Ruark, I couldn't put the book down! I have reread Shanna at least 20 times. Whenever I feel down, I pick up this book and I am swept away for a few hours. I would love to read a sequel to this book...I feel as if I know all the characters and would like to know what happened to Shanna, Ruark and their twins. Shortly after finishing this book, I had twins(boy-girl) of my own, so I can really relate to the story. Shanna hooked me on romance novels for all time!!

5.0 out of 5 stars K.W. is victorious in her portrayal of the perfect man!, 15 Feb 1997
This review is from: Shanna (Mass Market Paperback)
Kathleen Woodiwiss brilliantly spins a tale of the gallant Ruark Beauchamp and haughty Shanna Trahern. Shanna, a wealthy prima donna is forced by her father to choose a husband by her 21st birthday or the choosing will be his.

Shanna, fueled by selfish motives and a deadline coerces Raurk, a stranger and a condemned man into secretly marrying her. She offers him one night of wedded bliss in exchange for the use of his last name. However, her part of the bargain goes largely unfullfilled and all plans go awry when Raurk escapes the hangman's noose, changes his name and sets out to claim what is his.

From there, a panicked Shanna must find a way to be rid of Ruark yet make good on her father's demand while Raurk insists that she must make good on her part of their bargain.

Shanna is full of dreams and is waiting for Prince Charming to sweep her off of her feet. She had no intention of being married to an alleged criminal and wants nothing to do with him.

Raurk is a gorgeous, incredibly masculine, self confident, moral man, who desires to make Shanna see that fairy tales are for children and that he is very much real and very much in love with her. He is determined to be with Shanna yet he knows that the choice must be hers. Raurk aka "John Ruark" is determined to intertwine his life with hers on her father's island plantation as well as to gain her father's respect.

Their secret marriage brings much sexual tension between them as well as villainous plots against them. This was much, much more than the average boy meets girl plot and so very well written in classic Woodiwiss style.

Will their secret be found out?
Will Shanna realize that Ruark is really the man of her dreams?
Will Shanna's father find this an "acceptable" union?

A wonderous tale of action, suspense, mystery, intrigue and of course, love.

!!!!! Order this one immediately! You will love it!!!!!!!!!
Suzanne Copeman (maryluv@bellatlantic.net)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Romance I Have Ever Read!, 22 May 1998
This review is from: Shanna (Mass Market Paperback)
I read Shanna when I was 14 in 1980. I was consummed by the book after the first few pages; I didn't sleep or think of anything else for the whole weekend. I thought Shanna was a selfish, spoilt, spunky female and Raurk the perfect match to tame her heart.
The book shaped my life. The one statement Raurk made was he didn't want Shanna to change he just wanted to tame her heart. I vowed at 14 to marry a man who would consider it a challenge to tame my heart. I married him 16 years later on New Years Eve.
I have read this book so often my book is dog-eared and the pages are falling out. But it is a treasure that will be on my shelf when I celebrate my 60 wedding aniversary.
I look forward to the day when I will be able to read about the children of Raurk and Shanna. I'm sure the challenge of watching their children married of will be an interesting story.
I have read all of Kathleen's books but I must admit THIS IS MY FAVORITE.

5.0 out of 5 stars an exceptional love story for all-time, 3 Jan 2011
Ms. S. Rai (manchester, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shanna (Mass Market Paperback)
I had read this book previously and the story left a deep impression on me. Then a few weeks before, I decided to buy it to keep a copy for myself and also to refresh my memory. I thought the plot itself was simple without too much twists and turns but what really caught my eye was the reversal of the male and female character as in other books you have a really nice, mature and kind heroine paired with a tortured hero. It would usually be the girl confessing her love first and then in the end the man admits it too.

I liked how the hero is normal and come from a loving family. His determination to make Shanna realise that love is something that make people say that they don't care what the world says pushed Shanna to become more gentle and caring. Although the book was 666 pages long, I loved every page of it. The poem at the first page was nice and it complimented the story. Ruark is the highlight of the book as we can see his dedication and his efforts. I truly felt that his love for Shanna never faltered and he kept protecting her. Shanna gradually changes for the better and she understands how his love has transformed her.

The location changes from England to Los Camellos and then to another exotic island and then to America. The descriptions of the places were absorbing and detailed. There was no element of extreme darkness. In these era of the hero who has had numberless lovers and so become jaded, this book showcases a hero who is the dream man. Someone who knows that faults of those he loves and still loves them. The various parts in the book where the making of rum, harvesting of cane, construction of mills and other business matters are talked about are realistically portrayed and enriched the story hugely.

The mystery of the killer and the secondary characters' story also made the book very enjoyable. There were several comedic moments which had me laughing and was very well-planned. The ending tied up all the loose ends and the mystery was cleared up. I have read other books by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss but this book for me is her best work. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOODIWISS BEST EVER, 21 April 2003
This review is from: Shanna (Mass Market Paperback)
i loooove this book. i've read it so many times i almost know it by heart but still it's magical. Shanna needs a kick in the pants for the way she treats Ruark and he needs a medal for sticking by and protecting her. From Newgate gaol, to the pirate-infested high seas, this book keeps on surprising you. it's a rollercoaster of pure reading pleasure and a must have for any romance reader. Be warned though once read, you will be hooked on this for years.

Shanna