5.0 out of 5 stars So Good!
Like so many, this was the 1st romance novel I have ever read, and the only one I can remember the entire plot of and the character's names! I found it in a holiday cottage on the Scilly Isles when I was 12 and took it home with me.....

Simply the best, or at least the most entertaining romance. And I have been in love with Cole a little bit since the 1st...
Published on 14 Feb 2008 by E. Watson

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry - not impressed.
I took a chance on the reviews that this book received by others, but if this is KEW's finest, then I dread to see what her other books are like! The story was long and eventful and that is the only reason I didn't cast the book aside in disgust. Cole's character seemed promising in the first part of the book, and Alaina as Al was much better as a character than Alaina,...
Published on 15 Feb 2009 by KMacg

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious/funny, twist/turns, love/romance...it has everything, 12 Dec 1996
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
Join the turbelent times of the Civil War era, told from both sides. Surprises from the start and predicaments that make you laugh out loud. All this and a steamy romance. What balance!
Most all of the characters come alive. They sparkle and shine, plus they snap at each other too! The book isn't just one, all characters tend to take center stage as they contribute to the plot and the relationship to Alaina, it isn't "just" her story.
Woodiwiss is one of my most favorite authors, she ties the plots neatly throughout the book to be truly enjoyable. The pursuit of love by her characters takes you through their turmoil and developement to be READY for the love that you know they need. With each character it "dawns" on them at a slower speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE AL!, 5 Sep 1998
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
Being from New Orleans myself, I loved reading about the enchanting history of our cultured city and being able to see it from the eyes of several people who lived during the time of the civil war. I first read it when I was thirteen, and ever since then, I have collected every Woodiwiss book. I instantly became addicted to her work. I love how Alaina so thoroughly expresses her southern pride and how strong and courageous she proves to be. When she finally found her happiness after so much struggling I felt like cheering. I was so sad when it was over, but I liked how it was one of those books that just went on and on. I didn't want it to end! I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars In a class of its own, 21 Feb 2002
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
Like another reviewer I also first read this wonderful book when I was thirteen. It is one of the most beautiful and funny stories I have ever had the pleasure to read. Her use of humour and character development allow you to identify with the characters and the situations, to share their troubles and their joy. I lost alot of sleep over this book because I just couldn't put it down.
A must read for any story lover. Very few storys, let alone romances, match up to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Kathleen Woodiwiss's best novels EVER!!!!, 20 Jan 1998
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
I'd have to agree...the plot, characters, and prose of this book are extraordinary! You feel each character's sadness and (eventually) their joy as well. You may even find yourself becoming furious at different people in the book for being pig-headed as you, the reader, know EXACTLY how they "should" end up! I recommend this book for reading on a rainy day snuggled up with hot cocoa and a warm blanket. This novel MUST not be skimmed...ere it loses some of the inexpresible warmth and happiness the ending can bring a reader. (Oh..and by the way, Alania's plantation is in Louisiana...not Virginia.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ashes in the Wind, 5 Feb 2003
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
I read this book for the first time when I was thirteen. I have not yet read another book as good. The story is unpredictable and grabs your interest from the first page to the last. There are lots of surprises along the way. For me the characters really came alive and by the end of the book I felt like I knew them. This book is a must read for romance readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars shanna, 10 May 1999
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
I have enjoyed all of Ms. Kathleen E. Woodiwiss's books; but I believe SHANNA to be an all time great. It's the type of book you never want to end, but you want to know what the ending will be. Once you begin you do not want to eat or sleep. I've read this book a couple of times and enjoyed it more each time. I can't wait to see a new book of Ms. Woodiwiss. I never even read the fly cover before buying because I know whatever she writes is going to be great! Can you tell me when her new book will be coming out. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars "AL" WILL STEAL YOUR HEART! WOODIWISS DOES IT AGAIN! BRAVO, 12 July 1997
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
Can Kathleen Woodiwiss write anything but the best? Cole Latimer and Alaina are such a unique couple. Brought together under bizarre circumstances, but you know only fate could have managed bringing them together. A couple that truly stayed together through "thick and thin" and perservered. This book brought tears to my eyes with the surprise ending. I only wish Kathleen would come with a new novel, it's been awhile. I've read every novel of hers and every single one was OUTSTANDING! This book is a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you start you can't stop reading!, 26 Sep 1998
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
Ashes in the Wind is the kind of romance novel critics of the genre should be made to read. If they did I am sure that the naysayers would be silenced. From the first page to the last the charactrers of Alaina and Cole touch the heart and keep the reader engrossed. Few romance novels leave a lasting impression like this one did and it is a must read for anyone who has a heart and believes in the power of love.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best, 14 April 1999
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
I thought this book had everything. Mystery, romance, humor, and a good story line. While reading you feel like your right there with the characters. They seem so real. Mrs. Woodiwiss is one of my favorite authors and I have read all of her books. I wish she would write another one like this. I can't wait till her next book, I hope it comes out sooner than the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book of all time!!!!, 22 May 1999
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
I have read this book a total of 9 times and I never tire of it. My husband thinks I am nuts for re-reading any title, but really thinks I have lost it by reading this one so many times. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Kathleen Woodiwiss, the Civil War era, and/or love stories. It is truly a wonderful book.

Ashes in the Wind