5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted already
Published on 22 Mar 2001 by debbie_0000@hotmail.com

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry - not impressed.
Published on 15 Feb 2009 by K. Macgregor

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry - not impressed., 15 Feb 2009
K. Macgregor "KMac" (Scotland,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
I took a chance on the reviews that this book received by others, but if this is KEW's finest, then I dread to see what her other books are like! The story was long and eventful and that is the only reason I didn't cast the book aside in disgust. Cole's character seemed promising in the first part of the book, and Alaina as Al was much better as a character than Alaina, the lady was in the second book. I cringed with the number of times the characters behaved like such drama queens that I nearly put the book down. Some scenes and especially the way the characters spoke just did not seem right. KEW used words like "nattily" etc that reminded me of the jargon used in Georgette Heyer's novels. In fact, the way Cole spoke sometimes, just didn't fit the Civil War scenario, but fit more in a regency setting. This book was too jumbled up for me - definitely won't be keeping this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted already, 22 Mar 2001
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
I've read the first 100 pages of this book and from the first chapter was adicted. the first book i read was the elusive flame which instantly had me addicted. i read it whilst on holiday and i loved it so much but left it behind when i returned home. at home i search the book shops for it but coudn't remember the authors name. eventually i found it on amazon and proceeded to buy every single one of Woodiwiss' books. i've read nearly all of them so far and Ashes seems to be one of her best ones. the dialogue and story line is so much better than some of her other ones, much more exciting and riveting and i love reading this book. some of her others such as Petals on the River and So Worthy My Love was boring to read at times, and the story was predictable and not real like other books such as Shanna or Ashes, the elusive flame or Wolf and the Dove. the characters in this book however, already are alive and as someone else says they really do sparkle. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good!, 14 Feb 2008
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
Like so many, this was the 1st romance novel I have ever read, and the only one I can remember the entire plot of and the character's names! I found it in a holiday cottage on the Scilly Isles when I was 12 and took it home with me.....

Simply the best, or at least the most entertaining romance. And I have been in love with Cole a little bit since the 1st reading. My book has fallen to bits, but I don't want to replace it!

Actually, I think that I'll start it again tonight.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT!, 12 Dec 1997
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
Kathleen Woodiwiss has outdone herself! This book was so full of adventure, history, love, suspense, etc... When I began to read this book, I couldn't put it down! I ended up staying awake all night reading it to the end! I just couldn't put it down. I love Katheleen E. Woodiwiss! She has written the best Romantic novels that I have ever read. I have read all of her books. I have reccommended her books to all my friends who also enjoy her books as much as I. When are you going to publish another book Ms Woodiwiss? Karen Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars a story you can get lost in, 25 Oct 1998
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
i read this book many years ago. it is rare that i will read a book over but i enjoyed it more the second time. i fancy books from the civil war and found the historical detail one of its enjoyable components the other was the characters of al and cole.i was left wanting to know more and hoped the author would carry on with the children of cole and al especially mindy. this book has become one i use to measure the enjoyment i receive with other historical romance novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars My second favorite Woodiwiss novel!, 16 Feb 1999
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
I have read and reread this book several times and I never tire of it. Ms. Woodiwiss brings the reader so completely into this story that you forget about all else. I love how the poetry introduces each section of the story. The romance and mystery are so well blended that the reader has a hard time guessing what will happen next. I recommend this book to anyone who loves or romance or has never read such a novel before.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read....again and again and again!, 14 July 2004
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
I am not a romance reader, but when I was 14 my mum gave me her copy of this book and out of obligation I reluctantly read Ashes in the wind. After 2 pages I was totally besotted. I am now 28 and I keep it to myself but secretly this book is my most treasured posession. If my house (touch wood!) were to burn to the ground this book would NOT be in the remains. The cover has disintegrated and the pages are yellow and falling out due to the number of times I have read it, but I wouldn't part with it for the world.
So, if you're looking for a good romance novel read something else, if you're looking for a slice of pure bliss and intoxicating characters that will keep you in love with love for a lifetime. Read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Kindle Edition)
Having read many other books by this author I must say that I liked this book too, but not as much as 'The Flame and the Flower' and 'The Wolf and the Dove', but it was still an enjoyable read.

1.0 out of 5 stars None, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Kindle Edition)
Oh god it went on forever going nowhere and much as I love Shanna and most of the others I could not wait for this book to end. One of her worst. Sorry !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 22 Dec 2009
This review is from: Ashes in the Wind (Paperback)
This is a lovely book but I have rated it as 4 star rather than 5, here's why.

The book is set during the American civil war between the North (The unions or Yankees) and the south (The confederates)and is about an orphaned 17 year old Alaina MacGaren who adopts various disguises having been wrongly accused of being a spy and a murderess, (by both the Union and the Confederate armies) and Captain Cole Latimer, surgeon in the union army. Alaina or 'Al' arrives in New Orleans to stay with her uncle and his family. Fate throws her into the path of Captain Latimer. From there on they develope a hate/love relationship.

I don't usually read american historicals, especially those based around the civil war but this was very engrossing and I found it difficult to put the book down during the first half of it. But soon after,once the war finished, Alaina's disguise was revealed and she ends up marrying cole, the book took a turn for the boring with endless, fruitless verbal fights between husband and wife. I thought there was no end in sight. If i was to divide the book in 5/5ths, than probably the 3rd and 4th fifths of the book was devoted to a boring interlude before the story and intrigue picks up again. Having said that, i would still recommend this book, its a good read and I ended up buying more of this author's books having read other people's reviews about them.

So go for it. At the end of the day it up to the individual's opinion about what is good or not. I don;t like docile heroes and whilst Cole was not docile, he could have been a bit more forceful because Alaina needed it sometimes, especially during the early days of their marriage.

Ashes in the Wind