5.0 out of 5 stars quirky and excellent
As another reviewer pointed out, this film does not fit in any one particular genre, so those expecting the usual brand of comedy will probably be disappointed. Where is the low-brow or no-brow usual brand of big box-office hit humour? Well if you want that, maybe you had better look elsewhere. This does have funny moments in it, but this is more a study of when things...
Published on 24 Oct 2006 by Sarah Horne

3.0 out of 5 stars PREDICT THE DOWNERS OF LIFE?
Fairly run-of-the mill mix of life's downers and some comic edge to a cloudy loser.
Published 2 months ago by TQuote

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Adaptation of Adaptation, 22 Aug 2008
P. Longstaff "Phil_longstaff" (Teesside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Weather Man [DVD] (DVD)
I would say that if you want to see a film about a middle-aged man who is having a crisis then this is not really the film to see. I would suggest watching Adaptation, directed by Spike Jonze as both the script, the concept and the directing is far superior to this film. A plus side would be that it is reasonably cheap, and does provide a laugh or two if you have a slightly dark/cynical sense of humour about the media.

2.0 out of 5 stars nothing but rain, 26 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Weather Man [DVD] (DVD)
What a depressing film! Really like Nick Cage but he couldn't lift this out of the doldrums. To be honest I was being generous giving it 2 stars. It's bleak, negative and needs a good kick up the backside to get going. It's not even quirky. Give it a miss, go for a walk in the rain instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite the worst film of the decade, 18 Sep 2006
Mr. D. Harris "duncle" (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Weather Man [DVD] (DVD)
There have been technically worse films in the past ten years, sure, but as a ratio of what was intended to what was achieved this is a unique disappointment. The reviews have concentrated on both the comedy and the drama, which would be fine except for the fact that neither is present in this pointless waste of screen time.

We don't even get to watch the collapse of the main characters life. We come into the film after it has gone wrong already. Watching this film with friends it struck all of us that this movie wasn't in any way realistic, tortured or insightful. We don't get this sort of thing at home at all. Life is far more complex than this one-sided, simple and unengaging movie would have you believe.

I have no problem with bleak films designed to depress you, in fact I would rather see a few more films in that vein, but the problem here is that we don't care for any of the characters at all. None of them are likeable and the children are desperately crass. Oh, the poor fat girl. Oh, the almost-but-not-quite being groomed by a paedophile plot for the wet son. Oh, the heartache of wanting his ex-wife back. Oh, indeed, for the desire to make his father proud of him. I suggest the Nicolas Cage character brings it upon himself by being the most ineffectual and useless father ever to grace the screen. Surely the man has some self-awareness?

The entire cast (that'll be the directors fault then) seem to think that wooden acting, blank faces and a lack of emoting (stand up Michael Caine, Hope Davis) will contrast with Nicolas Cage's blank despair. It doesn't. It just makes for a tedious and bottom-numbing two hours that you'll want to sue the movie studio to get back.

Before everyone starts accusing me of being an action movie junkie or a sci-fi fan it's worth noting that my favourite films of the last ten years have almost all been small scale intimate, usually independent films such as Before Sunrise, Clerks and other films by Kevin Smith and more. Not huge blockbusters.

The Weather Man is a 30 minute TV play that should never have graced the big screen. It's dull, unenlightening, lacking in character and supremely uneventful. In short, it's rubbish.

Maybe they wanted Bill Murray for the main character and couldn't get him...

Save your money, save your time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mind numbingly boring!!!!!, 13 Sep 2006
E. Jones "film fan" (S Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Weather Man [DVD] (DVD)
I normally love anything Nicholas Cage does, he's a phenomenal actor.. However, this film falls far short of his normal calibre.. I struggled through the whole film, only to be left with a feeling of utter despondancy! We all have moments in our lives where everything feels too much, I do not want to watch someone elses life struggles, but escape the mundaneness of my existence..

2.0 out of 5 stars diasppointing.., 18 May 2006
It is particular and I certainly wouldn't define it a comedy. It's a dark look over a sort of middle life crisys.

Nicolas Cage is good but poor Michael Cane is a shadow of him self... Almost sad. The filming is not bad but it lacks of a peek and leaves you with a certain unsatisfaction.

Other all I must say quite disappointing and I wouldn't recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear is this suppossed to be a comedy?, 24 April 2006
I ordered this from America as I couldnt wait to see it as Im a HUGE Nicolas Cage fan but oh dear what a disapointment. It wasnt funny, at times it was just crude, and I dont think it knew where it was suppossed to be going. Nicolas as always is a pleasure to watch no matter how bad the film BUT poor Michael Caine was very badly miscast as Cages American father.His accent changed in each scene and his acting, well he wont win an oscar for this one. Lately it seems Mr Cage does one wonderful film and then one awful, and this is the latter, its a shame as he can afford to wait for better than this. Sorry but dont waste your time on this rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars pants!!!, 7 Aug 2006
Michelle A. Sapiano "michelle" (london england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Weather Man [DVD] (DVD)
now dont get me wrong...i love most nick cage films...but this was pants!!! where was the fun comedy!! if it wasnt for michael caine in this film i would have turned it off after 10 mins!! total waste of time thats 2 hours i will never get back!!

1.0 out of 5 stars The Whether Man Can, 9 April 2007
This review is from: The Weather Man [DVD] (DVD)
A far better title for one of the most mind dumbing films I have ever seen.

Very Very Very depressing, and so boring it put the budgie to sleep. The main character is a total looser, that after only 10 minutes, you don't even like him, never mind his ex wife or gross off spring.

Mr Caine seems to be trying to make a sentence out of as few words as possible, while being so wooden I mistook him for a wall on several occassions.

Meanwhile Mr Cage is seen wandering around the streets,with a cross bow and arrows. I think he may of been looking for the director. I know I would of been.

If being totally depressing, having a gross family and a father who barely speaks, makes a good film, then there is hope for many in this world.

Just don't expect me to sit and pay to watch~ please!

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading hype, 2 April 2007
Jezza (Sunny Sussex by the Sea) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Weather Man [DVD] (DVD)
I was looking forward to seeing this film - I like Nicholas Cage and enjoy a good comedy - ha!

This was unfunny - quite grim really. All the characters were unsympathetic; the dreadful daughter with a weight problem the disturbed son seduced by his counsellor. Michael Caine dying of cancer with the worst American accent I've heard for a while and Nicholas Cage and his ex-wife swearing at each other.

Don't bother!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cain can't do accents..., 1 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Weather Man [DVD] (DVD)
On the whole I like this film. Its different and works hard to be different but what is Cain about with that terrible American accent?

Cain's strong point these days seems to be in "walk through" roles like Alfred in Batman Begins. We don't mind, it's Cain. He can't even sound like the English middle class let alone American.

If you liked American Beauty, worth watching for the score alone, you'll find something to enjoy in this. And there are a few intentional laughs in it.

I don't particular like Cage these days but this movie is one of his better recent efforts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Weather Man [DVD]
The Weather Man [DVD] by Gore Verbinski (DVD - 2006)