4.0 out of 5 stars Lively Musical
Published on 23 Feb 2002

This version suffers from very poor sound quality which exaggerates the now annoying vibrato the female singers considered to be fashionable at the time the film was made. The DVD comes over as more harsh sounding than my old VHS tape.

Published 3 months ago by Kindle Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Lively Musical, 23 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Show Boat [VHS][1951] (VHS Tape)
This musical is a true joy. I would place it within the 30 best musicals ever made. Some pseudo casting directors, music experts, and nit-picking purists, may disagree. I saw it recently at home with an audience which included all age groups: from a 7 year old, through a 60 year old cousin. They all agreed that they would like to see it again, some other time. To my judgment, the casting is ideal: Kathryn, fits well into the innocent damsel, who is swept off her feet, falling in love with the dashing gambler (Howard Keel). Joe E. Brown is perfect (as he makes believe his domineering wife, that he is hen-pecked) as he does what he wants, saying" yes dear. The opening sequence where we are shown the riverboat, the pier, the musical-traveling troupe, the crew of the boat, the passengers, the loading of supplies, the light cargo. The different decks of the boat, with its frills. The costumes, of the 19th century attire, are charming, and alluring to both sexes. The innocent damsel does marry the galant gambler. Katryn Grayson is believable in the travails that ensue. Ava Garner does an excellent portrayal of the suffering half-caste, who is not accepted in a white society. Agnes Morehead, is the aggresive wife of captain Joe E. Brown, who in fact inside that hard armor, is tenderness in disguise. I would venture to say that any viewer with be with a happy heart as the final credits of the film roll on. (A note to the editors): I could only get Show Boat by listing Howard Keel, as the actor. I could not get your video on Show Boat by the title of the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lively Musical, 23 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Show Boat [VHS][1951] (VHS Tape)

3.0 out of 5 stars This version suffers from very poor sound quality which exaggerates the now annoying vibrato the ..., 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: Show Boat (French import, plays in English) (DVD)

That said, the second half of the film is very moving and a reflection of the potential quality and strength of this musical when well performed. PBS in the USA televised a performance by the New Jersey State Opera some years ago, which was the best performance I have seen. Sadly I have never seen this version available in video format. If it languishes in a vault somewhere, it should be rescued and put on sale.

I find the complete CD version recorded some years back, infamous for including the n word from the original lyrics, too stuffy and lacking emotion. It is of academic interest only and lacks the "soul" inherent in the story on which the musical and movie was based.

Thus sadly this DVD seems to be all that is available in English of what remains as a record of a potentially great musical drama. Only the second half of the film brings this off successfully. I hope somebody produces a restored version of the film with the sound track cleaned up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Show Boat DVD, 16 Jun 2014
This DVD was hardly watchable, it wa dark, full of flickering and vertical lines
All in all a rubbish pirate disc not worth buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Showboat, 15 Nov 2011
Showboat I am sure would be a good show but I can't watch it because it says 'wrong region'. My son says it'll only play on the USA so I'm disappointed that I didn't know this. If you knew this I wish you'd had a pop-up to stop me buying it.

1.0 out of 5 stars sham, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: Magnolia (Spanish import) (DVD)
my dad is 73 and loves all the old films was very upset when he came to watch the dvd and wont play in the uk should let customers know this could happen i wont be buying anymore off here.

Erica

1.0 out of 5 stars showboat dvd, 10 May 2014
it was poor, kept jumping and stopping during the film. very disappointed make me wonder if I would order more dvds from yourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning musical with serious themes, 21 Dec 2010
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It is the 1880s, and Captain Andy's riverboat, the Cotton Blossom, travels the Mississippi putting on shows. When the star Julie (Ava Gardner) and her husband are forced to leave under a cloud, the Captain's young daughter (Kathryn Grayson) and a handsome gambler (Howard Keel) take over the spotlight. When they, too, leave the show, they live on his winnings, but then his luck runs out.

This wonderful Jerome Kern show has a dream cast and classic, unforgettable songs. The plot is more serious than most musicals, consisting of two tragedies; the first deals with racial discrimination and the second with love gone wrong. Grayson has a lovely operatic voice and is exquisite as the innocent girl who becomes sadder and wiser. Keel is dashing as her husband and Ava Gardner steals the show with her heartbreaking performance as the unfortunate Julie.

The songs include "Make-Believe, "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man," and the powerful "Ol' Man River." The movie is filmed in glorious Technicolor with lively dance numbers. Even though it's a tear-jerker, it's one of the best musicals MGM ever made.

4.0 out of 5 stars Showboat remake, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Magnolia (Spanish import) (DVD)
I enjoyed this film, if only because of the technicolour. In the early 50s MGM decided to make technicolour versions of 'Roberta' (Lovely to look at) and, unfortunately, Showboat'. Is Ava Gardner's performance any better than that of Helen Morgan in the 1936 version ? Hardly. At least Helen Morgan used her own voice. What is missing in the remake is in fact irreplaceble. I mean Paul Robeson, the finest singer of his type who ever lived. The wonderful duet between Robeson and Hattie McDaniel, 'Ah Still Suits me' (watch it on youtube) was never repeated in the 50s version because it was par excellence. Yes, I like Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson in all the films in which they appear together. As I said, I like the remake because of the colour and the sets. But the 1936 version had a greater feeling and sincerity about it, and above all, it had Paul Robeson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Musical, 15 Dec 2014
J. Tift - See all my reviews
This review is from: Show Boat (French import, plays in English) (DVD)
This is a film that I have seen many many times over the years and it never fails to disappoint - I am starting to think that I wrote the script! I have been waiting for it to appear on DVD as I already have it on a video tape and at last here it is - at a reasonable price too. I watched it yesterday and it is great quality. I am very glad to have found the DVD through this seller. Well done.

Show Boat (French import, plays in English)